Question on submanifolds of a semi-riemannian manifold

• Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, the question being asked is if it is possible to find conditions under which an arbitrary Semi-Riemannian 4-manifold and an open 4-dimensional subset of it can be covered by non-intersecting 3-surfaces or 2x1 Minkowski flat 3-manifolds. The motivation for this exercise is to understand if it is possible to partially flatten curved spacetime through coordinate transformations and make specific coordinate surfaces flat.
PAllen
Science Advisor
Arguably, this is pure mathematical question, but most discussions of semi-riemannian manifolds are in the context of physics, so I post here.

Can anyone state or point me to references discussing best known answers to the following:

Given an arbitrary Semi-Riemannian 4-manifold, and an arbitrary open 4-d subset of it, under what conditions on the subset (e.g. orientable, torsion free, not closed, metric condition ...?) is it possible to achieve the following (on the subset):

1) The subset can be covered with some family of non-intersecting 3-surfaces on which the induced metric is Euclidean flat.

2) The subset can be covered with some family of non-intersecting 2x1 Minkowski flat 3-manifolds.

----

This is sort of a converse question the following example that the geometry of embedded surfaces can be very different from the geometry of the space they are embedded in: Flat Euclidean 3-space can be covered, except for one point, with family of non-intersecting 2-spheres.

Physics news on Phys.org
A follow up is, if one needs fairly strong metric conditions on the subset to achieve what I posed above, would the conditions be much weaker if loosened the requirements as follows:

1) The ability to find one embedded 3-surface meeting one of the conditions, rather than a covering of them.

2) The ability to find a 2-surface meeting the relevant condition containing 3 arbitrary (chosen) points have (a) spacelike relationship or (b) two with spacelike relationship, one with timelike to one of the others.

Ok, I think I can answer these questions roughly, at least, by implicit function arguments.

The surfaces I seek above can be thought of as parts of coordinate systems, and the flatness conditions as coordinate conditions. One may impose 4 coordinate conditions in GR without loss of generality. The curvature tensor for a 2-surface has only one functionally independent component; for a 3-surface, 6 independent components.

Thus, it seems, one should generally (blah, blah degenerate cases) be able to find Euclidean flat or Minkowski flat (as appropriate) 2 surfaces containing any 3 chosen points. But you cannot generally find any flat 3-surfaces (you would need to impose 6 conditions, which is too many).

Thoughts?

PAllen said:
Thus, it seems, one should generally (blah, blah degenerate cases) be able to find Euclidean flat or Minkowski flat (as appropriate) 2 surfaces containing any 3 chosen points. But you cannot generally find any flat 3-surfaces (you would need to impose 6 conditions, which is too many).

Thoughts?

I fail to see the motivation of this exercise. How does it relate to GR?

TrickyDicky said:
I fail to see the motivation of this exercise. How does it relate to GR?

In the OP I noted it was really a mathematical question, but figured I would get faster answers here.

Its limited relevance to GR is roughly: we know you can't flatten curved space time by coordinate transform. To what degree can you partly flatten it? To what degree can you make particular coordinate surfaces flat? I think I have demonstrated that you can normally make 2-surfaces flat, but not 3-surfaces.

1. What is a submanifold?

A submanifold is a subset of a larger manifold that is itself a manifold. In other words, it is a smooth surface or space that is contained within a larger smooth surface or space.

2. What is the significance of studying submanifolds of a semi-Riemannian manifold?

Studying submanifolds allows us to understand the geometric and topological properties of a larger semi-Riemannian manifold in a more manageable way. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between different parts of the manifold.

3. How are submanifolds classified in a semi-Riemannian manifold?

Submanifolds are typically classified by their dimension and their embedding in the larger semi-Riemannian manifold. They can also be classified by their curvature and other geometric properties.

4. What are some examples of submanifolds in a semi-Riemannian manifold?

Examples of submanifolds include curves, surfaces, and hypersurfaces. In a 3-dimensional space, a circle, a plane, and a sphere are all examples of submanifolds.

5. How are submanifolds related to the metric tensor in a semi-Riemannian manifold?

The metric tensor is used to define the geometry of a semi-Riemannian manifold. Submanifolds inherit their metric properties from the larger manifold, but may have different metric tensors depending on their embedding and curvature.