Error estimate for alterning series

In summary, the problem asks to find the smallest integer n that ensures that the partial sum s_n approximates the sum s of the series with an error less than 0.001 in absolute value. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the error and equating it to the first term in the series. However, since n appears on both sides of the fraction, brute force may be necessary to find the solution. The concept of analytical and monotonical solutions is also mentioned in the conversation.
danni7070

Homework Statement

Find the smallest integer n that ensures that the partial sum [tex] s_n [/tex] approximates the sum s of the series with error less than 0.001 in absoulute value.

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{(n+1)}\frac{n}{2^n} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] {\abs{s-s_n}} <= s_{(n+1)} = a_{(n+1)}[/tex]

(How can I do absolute value in LaTex?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got this far.

error <= first term = [tex] \frac{n+1}{2^{n+1}} [/tex]

(because (-1)^n+1 doesn't matter in this example)

[tex] s - s_n < \frac{n+1}{2^n+1} < 0.001 [/tex]

Here I get lost.
From example in my textbook which says

[tex] a_n = \frac{1}{1+2^{n+1}} [/tex]

This error is less than 0.001 if [tex] 1+2^{(n+1)} > 0.001 [/tex] Since [tex] 2^{10} = 1024, n+1 = 10 [/tex] will do. Hence n = 9.

In my example I have n on both sides of the fraction. So what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since n has to be an integer, I would say just brute force it.

Brute force it? Do you mean just check in my calculator ? If you are referring to that, it doesn't help me since I'm not allowed to have anything in my test but a pencil and a paper.

I wouldn't expect to be able to solve this analytically. All I can say is that I know it exists: (n+1)/2^{n+1} tends to zero monotonically.

Well, I got the answer n = 9 by doing exactly as the example from the textbook but the answer is n = 13.

What does analytical and monotonical mean ?

I got n = 13 via brute force.

Edit: In all fairness, it's not that hard to calculate the term when n = 13; the powers of 2 are pretty easy. I reckon any test question similar to this would have a more simple question in store.

Yeah but you see Kreizhn I'm not allowed to use calculator so I have to use some method and solve the problem by hand. Sure, I can check if the answer is correct with my calculator but that doesn't help me when I get to the test where I'm not allowed to have anything but a pencil.

The problem for me is Algebra. I must have slept over or skipped some lectures few years ago when some Algebra rules were being tought.

I don't have any problem understanding the example from the book but I don't know how to find n in my problem. That's my question.

EDIT: It's true, the powers of 2 are really easy but when it comes to 6 or 8 or 112 what then? That is the reason I have to find some method finding n

That is my point though; as ZioX had said, finding the solution to the previous problem is very difficult to do analytically even with a CAS. If you get a similar question on a test where you're not allowed to use a calculater, it's likely that the problem will be simplified such that you won't need one.

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a type of mathematical series where the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. For example, 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - 6 + ... is an alternating series.

2. Why is it important to calculate error estimates for alternating series?

Calculating error estimates for alternating series is important because it allows us to determine the accuracy of our calculations and approximations. It helps us understand how close our approximation is to the actual value, and if it is a good enough approximation for our purposes.

3. How do you calculate the error estimate for an alternating series?

The error estimate for an alternating series can be calculated using the Alternating Series Error Estimation Theorem. This involves finding the absolute value of the first neglected term in the series and using it to bound the error. The smaller the value of the first neglected term, the more accurate the approximation will be.

4. Can error estimates be negative for alternating series?

No, error estimates for alternating series cannot be negative. This is because the error represents the difference between the actual value and the approximation, and it cannot be negative as it is a measure of the discrepancy between the two values.

5. How can calculating error estimates for alternating series be useful in real-world applications?

Calculating error estimates for alternating series can be useful in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. It can help in making more accurate predictions and decisions based on approximations, and can also aid in identifying and correcting errors in calculations.