ASME Boiler and pressure vessel code

In summary, there is uncertainty regarding how to calculate the required cross-sectional area of bolts with internal pressure according to the ASME code. The search has led to the suggestion of looking through "Mandatory Appendix 2" for more information, but it is unclear if there are other methods outlined in Division 2.
gabriel
Does anybody knwo how calculate the required cross-sectional area of the bolts with internal pressure, according to the ASME code? I mean in which section, appendix, whatever.
I have spent a lot of time trying to find this and I could not. But I can´t believe that an important standard, like this, omits this so common calculation.

thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi gabriel,
Have you looked through "Mandatory Appendix 2" for what you're looking for? If that doesn't meet your needs, please be more specific.

I have just looked it. Thanks a lot.
Do you know if the division 2 has other way for calculating the required cross-sectional area of the bolts?

Sorry, but I'm not as familiar with Div 2, so without looking I couldn't say.

1. What is the purpose of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code?

The ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is a set of standards and regulations that govern the design, construction, and operation of boilers and pressure vessels. Its main purpose is to ensure the safe and reliable operation of these equipment to protect the public, workers, and the environment.

2. How often is the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code updated?

The ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is updated every two years. The updates are based on the latest research, technology advancements, and industry best practices.

3. Who is responsible for enforcing the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code?

The ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is enforced by regulatory agencies, such as the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors in the United States, and by the manufacturers, owners, and operators of boilers and pressure vessels.

4. Are there any exemptions to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code?

There are some exemptions to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, such as small boilers and pressure vessels used for research or experimental purposes, and pressure vessels used for transportation. However, these exemptions may have their own set of regulations and standards to ensure safety.

5. Can I use materials or components that are not listed in the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code?

No, the materials and components used in boilers and pressure vessels must comply with the materials specifications and standards listed in the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. This ensures the quality and safety of the equipment.