Supermassive BH feeding on Dark matter

In summary, while typical black holes do not feed on dark matter due to their small size and lack of friction, supermassive black holes (>10^10 solar masses) do consume significant amounts of dark matter. The event horizon radius is proportional to the mass, and the probability of a direct hit is M squared, allowing supermassive black holes to consume up to 10^20 times more dark matter than the Sun. Additionally, being located in the center of galaxies favors the consumption of dark matter. However, there may not be a significant impact of dark matter on black hole growth, as there is a tremendous variation in the masses of supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies. This is due to the variation in ratios of
Dmitry67
I know that typical Black Holes don't feed on Dark matter because they are tiny, so the direct hit is unlikely. While normal matter has friction and can slow down close to the BH, Dark matter just pass it by.

What's about supermassive (>10^10 solar masses) black holes?
Do they consume significant amounts of the dark matter? Radius of the event horizon is proportional to the mass, and the probability of the 'direct hit' - is M squared. Supermassive BH can consume up to 10^20 times more Dark matter than Sun. Even more, supermassive BH usually resides in the center of galaxies, and that position favours the consumpiton of DM.

Space news on Phys.org
Doesn't sound right to me. Gravitationally, there is no difference between regular matter and dark matter. Massive amounts of regular matter falling into a black hole might have a slight difference because of internal collisions but other than that the two should be the same.

Dmitry67 said:
I know that typical Black Holes don't feed on Dark matter because they are tiny, so the direct hit is unlikely. While normal matter has friction and can slow down close to the BH, Dark matter just pass it by.

What's about supermassive (>10^10 solar masses) black holes?
Do they consume significant amounts of the dark matter? Radius of the event horizon is proportional to the mass, and the probability of the 'direct hit' - is M squared. Supermassive BH can consume up to 10^20 times more Dark matter than Sun. Even more, supermassive BH usually resides in the center of galaxies, and that position favours the consumpiton of DM.
There may be some impact of dark matter on black hole growth. But I strongly suspect it isn't all that significant. If it were, then there wouldn't be such a tremendous variation in the masses of the supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies.

Chalnoth said:
There may be some impact of dark matter on black hole growth. But I strongly suspect it isn't all that significant. If it were, then there wouldn't be such a tremendous variation in the masses of the supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies.

Hm ... I don't follow that. Could you expand on it a bit?

phinds said:
Hm ... I don't follow that. Could you expand on it a bit?
The amount of dark matter in a galaxy varies far less than the amount of baryonic matter.

Chalnoth said:
The amount of dark matter in a galaxy varies far less than the amount of baryonic matter.

DOH ! ... I knew that, just wasn't connecting the dots. Thanks.

Do we know if the dark matter was as uniformly distributed as the galaxies were forming as it appears to be now?

phinds said:
DOH ! ... I knew that, just wasn't connecting the dots. Thanks.

Do we know if the dark matter was as uniformly distributed as the galaxies were forming as it appears to be now?
Well, in general you end up with massive differences in baryonic densities the moment stars start to turn on, because stars tend to blow matter out of lighter galaxies. It is this, I think that drives the vastly different ratios of baryonic matter to dark matter that we see in various galaxies. If it weren't for this sort of feedback, I think we'd expect all galaxies to simply track the average baryon/dark matter ratio we observe in the CMB.

This is the point, I think: it's not so much that dark matter doesn't vary, but instead that baryonic physics tends to dramatically alter the ratio of baryonic matter to dark matter.

So in the end, I think we can trace the majority of the variation in the ratio supermassive black hole mass to halo mass to be due to the baryonic content.

I recently gave an explanation in arXiv:1108.1697: "Model for common growth of supermassive black holes, bulges and globular star clusters: ripping off Jeans clusters". The BHs are fed by dark MACHOs (small Jupiters), that is: baryonic dark matter (missing baryons). This mechanism stems with Carlos Frenk's great insight (known to several others since 15 years) that the standard theory of Cold Dark Matter would be wrong.

theon said:
I recently gave an explanation in arXiv:1108.1697: "Model for common growth of supermassive black holes, bulges and globular star clusters: ripping off Jeans clusters". The BHs are fed by dark MACHOs (small Jupiters), that is: baryonic dark matter (missing baryons). This mechanism stems with Carlos Frenk's great insight (known to several others since 15 years) that the standard theory of Cold Dark Matter would be wrong.
MACHO's don't make up a significant fraction of the missing baryons. The vast majority of the baryonic matter remains as gas.

Related to Supermassive BH feeding on Dark matter

1. What is a supermassive black hole?

A supermassive black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. They are found in the centers of most galaxies and can have masses equivalent to billions of suns.

2. How does a supermassive black hole feed on dark matter?

Supermassive black holes are surrounded by a disk of gas and dust, known as an accretion disk. As the black hole orbits, it pulls in gas and dust from the disk. As the gas and dust get closer to the black hole, it heats up and emits radiation. This radiation can be observed by scientists as bright light, allowing them to study the feeding process.

3. What is dark matter and how does it interact with supermassive black holes?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes. It is thought to make up about 85% of the total mass of the universe. While dark matter does not directly interact with supermassive black holes, it can be affected by their gravitational pull, causing it to be pulled into the accretion disk and ultimately feeding the black hole.

4. How does the feeding of a supermassive black hole on dark matter affect its growth?

The feeding process of a supermassive black hole can greatly impact its growth. As the black hole consumes more and more dark matter, its mass increases, making it more powerful and able to pull in even more matter. This process can continue until the black hole reaches a point of maximum growth, known as the "maximum mass limit".

5. What are the implications of supermassive black holes feeding on dark matter for our understanding of the universe?

Studying the feeding process of supermassive black holes on dark matter can provide valuable insights into the distribution and behavior of dark matter in the universe. It can also help us better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as supermassive black holes are thought to play a crucial role in their development. Additionally, this research can help us refine our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics that govern the universe.