Can black hole studies shed any light on dark matter

In summary, the ongoing studies of black holes at the centers of galaxies, like the Event Horizon Telescope, are unlikely to provide any clues about the nature of dark matter. Dark matter tends to not clump near black holes, making it too sparse to have any impact on measurements. However, there is a possibility of using black holes to measure dark matter through dark matter annihilations, but this requires different observation techniques and would not affect the interpretation of black hole shadow images. There have been some potential signals of dark matter, but nothing definitive yet due to the difficulty of detecting such weak interactions. It may still be a few decades before we can make any definitive detections.
BWV
Curious if the ongoing studies of black holes at the centers of galaxies, like the Event Horizon Telescope, might provide some clues about the nature of dark matter. Tried googling this, but all I get is articles debating, mostly to the negative, the hypothesis that dark matter might be accounted for by black holes, which is not what I am asking here. I don't know how this might happen, but curious if it is possible

• Informative
Likes OCR
Space news on Phys.org
BWV said:
Curious if the ongoing studies of black holes at the centers of galaxies, like the Event Horizon Telescope, might provide some clues about the nature of dark matter. Tried googling this, but all I get is articles debating, mostly to the negative, the hypothesis that dark matter might be accounted for by black holes, which is not what I am asking here. I don't know how this might happen, but curious if it is possible
Probably not. Dark matter tends to not clump very readily, so that the density of dark matter near a black hole is likely to be far, far too low for it to have any impact on any measurements like this which we might wish to perform.

Our best bet for making use of black holes to measure dark matter is via dark matter annihilations: while dark matter isn't very dense, it's still more dense near dense objects, such as supermassive black holes. And if it's more dense, then dark matter annihilations, though still rare, will be more common. So looking in this direction for such annihilations is something that might be worthwhile. But it would be using completely different observation techniques than the black hole shadow images, and would have no impact on the interpretation of these images either.

• Informative
Likes Grinkle, OCR, BWV and 1 other person
This has to be one of the "all time best" thread starter puns. . . I've ever seen. .
lmao.gif

Can black hole studies shed any light on dark matter

:thumbup:.:thumbup:

• Haha
Likes phinds, Comeback City and weirdoguy
Thanks. It looks like dark matter annihilation are another big zero (no signs of any have been seen, right?), so it maybe excludes certain candidate particles, but little else

"Can black hole studies shed any light on dark matter "
OCR said:
This has to be one of the "all time best" thread starter puns. . . I've ever seen. .
This is a signature-worthy line...
:bow:

Likes OCR
BWV said:
Thanks. It looks like dark matter annihilation are another big zero (no signs of any have been seen, right?), so it maybe excludes certain candidate particles, but little else
There may have been some signals, but nothing definitive yet.

The difficulty is that most dark matter models tend to predict very weak signals, which means that we don't actually expect it to be easy to detect dark matter at all. The fundamental reason is simple: for dark matter to explain the astrophysical observations, it can't interact very readily either with itself or with normal matter. So it's frustrating that we haven't gotten any definitive dark matter detections yet, but patience is warranted. It could still be a few decades. This stuff is just that challenging.

• Informative
Likes OCR and BWV

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How can black holes shed light on dark matter?

Black holes can indirectly provide evidence for the existence of dark matter through their gravitational effects on surrounding matter. By studying the behavior of stars and gas around black holes, scientists can infer the presence of unseen matter that is exerting a gravitational pull on them.

3. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up about 85% of the total mass of the universe. It does not interact with light, making it invisible, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

4. How do scientists study black holes?

Scientists study black holes through various methods, such as observing their effects on surrounding matter, analyzing the radiation emitted from them, and using computer simulations to model their behavior. They also use telescopes and other instruments to observe the gravitational lensing caused by black holes.

5. Can studying black holes help us understand the nature of dark matter?

Yes, studying black holes can provide valuable insights into the nature of dark matter. By studying the gravitational effects of black holes on surrounding matter, scientists can gather clues about the properties of dark matter, such as its mass and distribution. Additionally, black holes can help us understand the role of gravity in the universe, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of dark matter.