Gender Gene Expression in Males vs. Females

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of X and Y chromosomes in determining gender in different organisms, including mammals and honey bees. The presence or absence of these chromosomes can lead to different physical and behavioral characteristics. There are also various anomalies that can occur, such as XXY and XXX karyotypes, which can result in different gender identities and manifestations. The conversation also touches on the complexity of gender and how it can be influenced by both genetics and environment.
Username55
In a male, gender gene is expressed as XY, so people know how a male to be male by its Y, but in a female, the gene is XX, and I am wondering which one of XX is characterized for female... If the left one is, then what is the functionality of the right one ?

Biology news on Phys.org
X and Y are chromosomes and on those chromosomes there are genes. There are less genes on the Y chromosome than on the X chromosome, females only have one X chromosome active in a cell (it could be either one).

The Y causes a release of testosterone during a particular phase of embryonic development; this causes the male characteristics to develop. If the Y is not there this doesn't happen and "normal" development produces female characteristics. The two X chromosomes in the female don't actively make the embryo female. But they have other genes on them that are inherited normally with dominants and recessives. Either one could be on either X for different loci.

Possibly a bit of a silly question here, but what would happen if an egg cell were to be artificially given a Y chromosome instead of an X? When fertilised, would an embryo even develop with YY?

matthyaouw said:
Possibly a bit of a silly question here, but what would happen if an egg cell were to be artificially given a Y chromosome instead of an X? When fertilised, would an embryo even develop with YY?

That would be impossible since the X chromosome carries vital genes for male developement, such as the androgen receptor (AR) gene, and other key genes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgen_insensitivity_syndrome

Last edited:
Many people I have met usually think since X and Y are male's chromosomes and the presence of X in male creates a balance in men's femininity, anyone who can't control such a balance will become gay. Is that true ?

Here's a little curve, I believe for honey bees, the males (drone) only have a single X, whereas the females (workers, queen) have XX .. Some food for thought (pardon the pun)..

If it were curve, it couldn't be little,
I have read a couple of articles on science mag about birds'Z and W chromosomes. How do people explain my question above ?

Different organisms use different mechanisms to determine sex. Most nematodes also have a XX/XO system (hermaphrodites are XX, males are produced by meiotic disjunction that results in the loss of one X chromosome).

Mammals have a dominant Y chromosome and silence the extra X chromosome in females and both Drosophila and C. elegans use the ratio of X over the autosomal chromosomes to determine the sex. More information about the evolution of sex determination can be found in this book chapter:

http://www.wormbook.org/chapters/www_evolutionsexdetermin/evolutionsexdetermin.pdf

Sorry I didn't have a chance to finish my above post..

I believe for honey bees, the males (drone) only have a single X (no Y), whereas the females (workers, queen) have XX .. So the male honey bees actually have XO as Monique had described. Even more peculiar the male is not only missing the Y but also the rest of the second set of chromosomes. All male bees develop from unfertilzed eggs. They are therefore haploid (1N). The female bees (workers and queen) develop from fertilized eggs and are diploid (2N).

Try some Mendelian genetics with that combination. In any given cross, we may wonder what is the probability of a particular genotype occurring in the queen. (assuming there is only one queen per hive).

Rotan72 said:
Many people I have met usually think since X and Y are male's chromosomes and the presence of X in male creates a balance in men's femininity, anyone who can't control such a balance will become gay. Is that true ?
I don't know about the X chromosome creating a balance in man's femininity. There are males who exhibit very strong masculine traits (football players, boxers, weightlifters). They all carry an X chromosome, would you say that is balancing their femininity?

Now I have also met a male who exhibited some effeminate behavior (vocalism, hand gestures), yet also was married, had 3 children and was a strong father figure. My guess is that his gene's dictated a different balance of hormones compared to the macho-males.

I don't believe it is a matter of controlling a balance between a male's X & Y. Unless you really mean their hormonal balance. This balance appears to influence a wide spectrum in both females and males, from masculine to feminine behaviors.

Last edited:
There are people with an XXY karyotype. I don't know the details of the clinical manifestation, but I don't think that the phenotype is fully penetrant. First signs will show up in males during puberty, you can google for more information.

There are 'XXX' females as well. See Thompson & Thompson 'Medical Genetics' for the whole range of anomalies from Crie du Chat syndrome to the forms of anomalies described variously as Duschennes' Familial Idocy.

Some genera of reef fish change gender 'on demand', as a response to the environment.

The mainfestation of gender, even in mammals, is really complex

There are also X females, they manifest themselves with Turner syndrome.

An interesting (and sad) case is the boy who was raised as a boy after he lost his penis during a circumcision. He was castrated and received hormones to switch gender. He had an identical twin brother and was never told he was actually a boy until puberty when he himself came with the idea that he wanted to become male (in hindsight he had had a troublesome childhood due to the gender confusion, although I think the yearly psychiater meetings must have been a large influence). They are known as the John/Joan twin in the literature. The treating doctor believed that gender differences are not inborn, but are created by the environment.. which was shown wrong in this example.

Monique said:
----
It's a choice as a social adaptation towards benefits for self, a sign of social behaviors' diversity, absolutely not a disease, whereas XXX is truly a genetic abnomality, sickness!

Emieno said:
It's a choice as a social adaptation towards benefits for self, a sign of social behaviors' diversity, absolutely not a disease, whereas XXX is truly a genetic abnomality, sickness!
Sorry, what are you saying?

Monique said:
Sorry, what are you saying?
oh well, i guess he mis-wrote anomali to abnormality

i think i understand it best

1. What is gender gene expression?

Gender gene expression refers to the specific set of genes that are expressed or activated in an individual based on their biological sex. These genes play a crucial role in determining physical and physiological characteristics that are typically associated with males or females.

2. How do males and females differ in terms of gene expression?

Males and females differ in gene expression due to the presence or absence of the Y chromosome. The Y chromosome carries genes that are responsible for male characteristics, such as the development of testes and production of testosterone. Females, on the other hand, have two X chromosomes which carry genes that are responsible for female characteristics, such as the development of ovaries and production of estrogen.

3. Are there any differences in gene expression between males and females at the cellular level?

Yes, there are differences in gene expression between males and females at the cellular level. This is due to the fact that sex hormones, such as testosterone and estrogen, can influence gene expression and the function of cells. For example, testosterone can stimulate the growth of muscle cells while estrogen can stimulate the growth of breast tissue.

4. Can environmental factors affect gender gene expression?

Yes, environmental factors can influence gender gene expression. Studies have shown that exposure to certain chemicals, toxins, and pollutants can affect the expression of genes involved in hormone production and can lead to changes in gender-specific traits. Additionally, social and cultural factors can also influence gender gene expression, such as societal expectations and gender roles.

5. Is gender gene expression the only factor that determines an individual's gender identity?

No, gender gene expression is not the only factor that determines an individual's gender identity. While biological sex plays a significant role in the development of gender-specific traits, an individual's gender identity is also influenced by social, psychological, and cultural factors. Gender identity is a complex and multifaceted concept that cannot be solely explained by gene expression.