Precalc DeMoivre's Theorem to find powers of Complex numbers

In summary: Then use Demoivre's Theorem to find the indicated power of the complex number. The result in standard form is -32squareroot(3)/2 +i32/2.
physstudent1
"Use Demoivre's Theorem to find the indicated power of the complex number. Write the result in standard form."

:

2(squareroot of (3) + i)^5

now when i do this i always end up getting

-(32squareroot(3))/2 + i32/2

the book seems to get teh same answer except WITHOUT the 2 in the denominator and I have tried this problem over and over always getting the same thing I have a test on this tomarrow and I really would appreciate some explanation of how to get rid of that two

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not show us how you got the 2?

Please show us your work.

k sry

Alright I started by noticing the radius was already in front in this problem (the two out in front) so I moved to the next step putting

2^5 then getting cos squareroot(3)/2 + isin 1/2 which is the same as
cis (Pi/6)
(cis(pi/6) is the same as cos(pi/6) + sin (pi/6) for those of you that don't know)
then i got 2^5 to be 32 so now i had

32(cis(pi/6)) so I multpilied the 5 by pi/6 in coordination with the theorem
getting 32(cis(5pi/6)) then I got cosine of 5pi/6 to be - squareroot(3)/2 and the sin of 5pi/6 to be 1/2 and then finally multiplied these answers by 32 ultimately getting

-32squareroot(3)/2 +i32sin

you factored out a 2 from the cis, in order to get the right values for the sin and cos. But you didn't add it to the powers of two on the left, so it is really 2^6 instead of 2^5. Then when you divide by 2 again you get the 32.

physstudent1 said:
Alright I started by noticing the radius was already in front in this problem (the two out in front)
?? The number is [itex]2(\sqrt{3}+ i)[/itex] and 2 is not the "radius". [itex]|\sqrt{3}+ i|= 2[/itex] so [itex]|2(\sqrt{3}+ i)|= 4[/itex].

thank you all

HallsofIvy said:
?? The number is [itex]2(\sqrt{3}+ i)[/itex] and 2 is not the "radius". [itex]|\sqrt{3}+ i|= 2[/itex] so [itex]|2(\sqrt{3}+ i)|= 4[/itex].

what would the answer in standard from be if the problem was 2(sqrt3 + i)^7

dancerhs said:
what would the answer in standard from be if the problem was 2(sqrt3 + i)^7

You should be creating a new thread.

Convert [itex]\sqrt{3}+i[/itex] into modulus-argument form first.

What is DeMoivre's Theorem and how is it used in Precalculus?

DeMoivre's Theorem is a mathematical formula used to find powers of complex numbers. It states that for any complex number z = r(cosθ + i sinθ), the nth power of z can be found by raising the magnitude r to the nth power and multiplying the angle θ by n. This theorem is often used in Precalculus to simplify complex number expressions and solve problems involving complex numbers.

What is the significance of the term "DeMoivre's Theorem"?

The theorem is named after French mathematician Abraham DeMoivre, who first published it in his book "The Doctrine of Chances" in 1733. DeMoivre's Theorem is an important tool in the field of complex numbers and has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

Can DeMoivre's Theorem only be used for finding powers of complex numbers?

No, DeMoivre's Theorem can also be used to find roots of complex numbers. The formula for finding the nth root of a complex number z is nr(cos(θ/n) + i sin(θ/n)), where r and θ are the magnitude and angle of z, respectively. This makes DeMoivre's Theorem a versatile tool for working with complex numbers.

How is DeMoivre's Theorem related to Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula, e = cosθ + i sinθ, is a special case of DeMoivre's Theorem when r = 1. This relationship allows us to express complex numbers in exponential form, which is often more convenient for calculations and simplification.

Are there any limitations to using DeMoivre's Theorem?

Yes, DeMoivre's Theorem is limited to finding powers and roots of complex numbers that are written in trigonometric form. It cannot be used for other operations, such as addition or subtraction, of complex numbers. Additionally, it only applies to complex numbers with non-zero magnitudes.