Finding a derivative using the FTC Part 1

• Thread starter BlackMamba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative using Part 1 of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The problem and solution are given, and it is verified that the solution is correct. It is also noted that the derivative of a constant is 0. There is some confusion about the variable in the problem, but it is clarified that the derivative would be non-trivial if the variable was different.
BlackMamba
I have a problem which asks me to find the derivative using Part 1 of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

So I know that the FTC says that if:

[itex]g(x) = \int_{a}^{h(x)} f(t) dt[/itex] then, [itex]g'(x) = f(h(x)) * h'(x)[/itex]

I've got what appears to be an easy problem, maybe too easy and because of that I think I'm doing something wrong. Below is the problem and my solution. If someone could just varify if I did it correctly or not, I would greatly appreciate it.

PROBLEM: [itex]G(x) = \int_{y}^{2} sin(x^2) dx[/itex]

My Solution:
[itex]G'(x) = sin(2^2) * 0[/itex]
[itex] = sin(4) * 0[/itex]
[itex]= 0[/itex]

Thanks for taking a look. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's right. Note that G(x) basically depends only on y, so G is a constant w.r.t. x which is why it's no surprise that it's derivative w.r.t. x is 0. It's even clearer if you recognize that the x's in the integrand are just dummy variables so:

[tex]G(x) = \int _y ^2 \sin (x^2)\, dx[/tex]

can be rewritten:

[tex]G(x) = \int _y ^2 \sin (z^2)\, dz[/tex]

Also, the middle part of: "sin(22)*0 = sin(4)*0 = 0" is unnecessary since regardless of the fact that 22 = 4, the whole thing is something times 0, so it's just 0.

Are you sure it isn't G(y)?

I'm with StatusX! Any integral of "f(x)dx" with numerical limits is just a constant. The derivative of any constant function is, of course, 0.

If you are given
[tex]G(y)= \int_y^2 sin(x^2) dx[/itex]
and are asked to find
[tex]\frac{dG}{dy}[/itex]
or are given
[tex]G(x)= \int_x^2 sin(t^2)dt[/itex]
and are asked to find
[tex]\frac{dG}{dx}[/itex]
then it would be a non-trivial problem (but still easy).

Thanks for all of the replies, it's greatly appreciated.

1. What is the FTC Part 1 and how does it relate to finding a derivative?

The FTC Part 1, or the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part 1, states that if a function f(x) is continuous on the interval [a, b], then the definite integral of f(x) from a to b is equal to the difference of the antiderivatives of f(x) evaluated at a and b. This means that the integral and derivative are inverse operations, and we can use the FTC Part 1 to find a derivative by evaluating an antiderivative.

2. How do you use the FTC Part 1 to find a derivative?

To use the FTC Part 1 to find a derivative, we first need to identify the function we want to differentiate. Then, we find the antiderivative of that function and evaluate it at the upper and lower limits of the integral. Finally, we subtract the two values to get the derivative of the original function.

3. Can the FTC Part 1 be used to find derivatives of all functions?

No, the FTC Part 1 can only be used to find derivatives of continuous functions. If a function is not continuous on the given interval, the FTC Part 1 cannot be applied. Additionally, the function must have an antiderivative that can be evaluated at the upper and lower limits of the integral.

4. Are there any other methods for finding derivatives besides using the FTC Part 1?

Yes, there are other methods for finding derivatives, such as the limit definition of a derivative and the power rule. However, the FTC Part 1 is a useful tool for finding derivatives, especially when dealing with definite integrals and continuous functions.

5. Can the FTC Part 1 be applied to indefinite integrals?

No, the FTC Part 1 can only be applied to definite integrals. The antiderivative evaluated at the upper and lower limits of a definite integral gives us a specific value, while the antiderivative of an indefinite integral gives us a general function with a constant of integration.