V = velocityL = length of rodFind Frequency of Steel Rod - 1.44m Long

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the problem involves a steel rod of length 1.44 m that is clamped at a point 1/4 of its length from one end. The ends of the rod are free to vibrate and the velocity of longitudinal wave in steel is 5000 m/s. The task is to find the frequency of the first three allowed harmonics and make diagrams to show the three standing waves. The equation used is f = (nV/2L) and for frequency one, two harmonics are used, for F2 six harmonics are used, and for F3 ten harmonics are used. The harmonics are determined by first defining the fundamental frequency, then considering the open ends and clamped point,
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

A steel rod of length 1.44 m is clamped at a point 1/4 of its length from one end. The ends of the rod are free to vibrate. If the velocity of longitudianl wave in steel is 5000 m/s, find the frequency of the first three allowed harmonics. Make diagrams to show the three standing waves.

Homework Equations

f (frequency = n V/ 2 L

The Attempt at a Solution

All you have to do is plug in the variable. What I would like to know is how my freinds or classmates found the harmonics.

For frequency one they use 2 harmonics

and for F2 they use 6 harmonics

and for F3 they use 10 harmonics.

How did they figure that out.

n = harmonics

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you do it by first defining the fundamental frequency,

then using the fact the ends will be open, ie points of maximum oscillation and the clamped point will have zero oscillation

use the short length from clamp to edge to define a requirement for allowable wavelengths

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is V = distance/time, where distance can be represented by the variable L and time is represented by the variable t.

2. How do I find the frequency of a steel rod?

To find the frequency of a steel rod, you will need to know its length, which is represented by L, and its velocity, represented by V. The formula for frequency is f = V/L.

3. What is the unit of measurement for velocity?

The unit of measurement for velocity can vary depending on the system of units being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

4. Can I use different units of measurement for the length of the rod?

Yes, you can use different units of measurement for the length of the rod as long as you use the same unit of measurement for both the length and velocity in the formula for calculating frequency.

5. How can I measure the velocity and length of the steel rod?

The velocity of the steel rod can be measured using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the rod to travel a known distance. The length of the rod can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape.