Generate 1ns Pulse w/Frequency 680MHz | Prathap Chandra

• Thread starter Chandra214
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulse
In summary, the application needs a well shaped 1ns pulse with 680MHz frequency. A 1.57ns cycle time is 639 MHz, not 680. Most commercial low-frequency(<1 GHz) generators will have risetime of 2-3 ns which is far too long in this case. It is doable, but the equipment is quite expensive and I seriously doubt a DIY solutin would work. Also, you do realize that it is not possible to transmit a "proper" 680 MHz wave in an 1ns wide pulse envelope, right? The width of the pulse is too short and you will get lots of high frequency components. What kind of rise/fall time do you need? We would need
Chandra214
Please suggest a method to generate a 1ns pulse. with 680MHz frequency. i.e ton: 1ns.
the pin should also be able to generate pulses with pulse width anything from 1ns to 4s with 1ns step, i.e the pulse can take any value b/n 1 ns and 4s with 1ns step.
This pulse is used to trigger a laser.
Thanks,
Prathap Chandra

Edit1: The pulse should be well shaped square wave.

Engineering news on Phys.org
we are not looking for a instrument solution.
This should be implemented on a PCB. Right now we are considering MGT based FPGA for the solution.

What kind of rise/fall time do you need? 1ns is not difficult; but in order to get a "well shaped" pulse you need a very short risetime.
Most commercial low-frequency(<1 GHz) generators will have risetime of 2-3 ns which is far too long in this case. It is doable, but the equipment is quite expensive and I seriously doubt a DIY solutin would work.

Also, you do realize that it is not possible to transmit a "proper" 680 MHz wave in an 1ns wide pulse envelope, right? The width of the pulse is too short and you will get lots of high frequency components.

f95toli said:
What kind of rise/fall time do you need?

We would need the rise time and fall time to be within 50ps.

f95toli said:
Also, you do realize that it is not possible to transmit a "proper" 680 MHz wave in an 1ns wide pulse envelope, right? The width of the pulse is too short and you will get lots of high frequency components.

680Mhz is the frequency at which 1ns pulses need to be sent, i.e 1ns "high" time and 0.57ns "low" time. so the total time duration would be 1.57ns leading to 680MHz frequency.

A 1.57 ns cycle time is 639 MHz, not 680. And I'm afraid that if you have to ask, a 50 ps rise/fall time is far beyond your design capabilities. You cannot use ordinary components and PCB construction for this sort of thing; stray capacitances and inductances will swamp your signal, turning it into mush.

I have a SRS DG535 in my lab which is pretty good, but even with the fast fall/risetime modules the times are about 100ps; 50 ps is VERY difficult.
I have used a pulse generator that could manage something like 30 ps; but that was an Anritsu generator with a price tag of about $300 000...

Also, the "rule of thumb" is that you need a bandwidth of cables etc of about 1/(risetime/3) in order not to distort the shape of the pulse; meaning you are actually oishung the limit of what can be done using standard SMA connectors etc with 50 ps.

Again, it is possible but it is not easy and very expensive.

Would it be possible to generate the pulse using a "passive" method? I might be wrong, but I thought pulses for fast lasers were usually generated using delay lines etc; not with active components.

negitron said:
A 1.57 ns cycle time is 639 MHz, not 680. And I'm afraid that if you have to ask, a 50 ps rise/fall time is far beyond your design capabilities. You cannot use ordinary components and PCB construction for this sort of thing; stray capacitances and inductances will swamp your signal, turning it into mush.

Sorry.. the cycle time is 1.47ns

f95toli said:
I have a SRS DG535 in my lab which is pretty good, but even with the fast fall/risetime modules the times are about 100ps; 50 ps is VERY difficult.
I have used a pulse generator that could manage something like 30 ps; but that was an Anritsu generator with a price tag of about $300 000...

Also, the "rule of thumb" is that you need a bandwidth of cables etc of about 1/(risetime/3) in order not to distort the shape of the pulse; meaning you are actually oishung the limit of what can be done using standard SMA connectors etc with 50 ps.

Would it be possible to generate the pulse using a "passive" method? I might be wrong, but I thought pulses for fast lasers were usually generated using delay lines etc; not with active components.

The application needs a lot of buffer memory, so we can make use of a FPGA for two operations, one is for FIFO implementation on four 12 bit high speed ADC's and for generating 1ns pulses. ( virtex 5 LX30). Frankly speaking, generating this kind of a pulse is giving me a lot of nervous times :-p
Still have to explore possibilities with passive circuits, like using a SRD and likes.
http://www.furaxa.com/Documents/FWP-v1.2.pdf

Thanks,
PC

f95toli said:

Agreed. I've been thinking this problem over all morning and I came to the conclusion that there really needs to be a compelling reason why an off-the-shelf solution cannot be used. In the long run, it would really be much less expensive in terms of both time and money. If you really must have a custom-engineered solution, you're probably better off going to a third party rather than try to re-invent the wheel by yourself.

You wanted this:
"the pin should also be able to generate pulses with pulse width anything from 1ns to 4s with 1ns step, i.e the pulse can take any value b/n 1 ns and 4s with 1ns step".

That reads like you want period in 4000 million steps. ie 1 nS to 4 seconds in 1 nS steps.
That would take a very serious piece of equipment to generate such accuracy and display the claimed result.

The link you sent does not seem to do this. It didn't seem too clear what the link was doing except that it did mention lasers at the top, so maybe that will be enough for you.

With four transmitting channels, 680MHz can be distributed to 170MHz each.
So each channel(pin) has to send out a 1ns pulse with 4.88ns delay between each ( worst case scenario).
If I can find a circuit to generate a 1ns pulse like below:
http://www.edn.com/article/CA476913.html

can i shape the pulse better? or can the Micrel Laser driver receive this and transpire a better shaped pulse?

If I am to multiplex all four channels to drive the Laser, How can that be approached?
May be a very high speed MUX?

- Prathap

Just a quick question have you ever considered how much energy needed to transmit this signal properly without getting lost along the way. I agree with negitron on that. And do you think they will withstand this load, without getting damage after some number of pulses?

I am just asking out of curiosity

Chandra214 said:
With four transmitting channels, 680MHz can be distributed to 170MHz each.
So each channel(pin) has to send out a 1ns pulse with 4.88ns delay between each ( worst case scenario).
If I can find a circuit to generate a 1ns pulse like below:
http://www.edn.com/article/CA476913.html

can i shape the pulse better?

The circuit you are linking to has a rise-time of 520ps +-100 ps according to the text; this is ten time what you asked for earlier.

I don't know how much experience you have with microwave circuitry, but I hope you realize that the difficulty and complexity (and price!) increases by many orders of magnitude when you go from operating at around 1-2 GHz (which can be done using "ordinary" high-speed electronics as in the circuit you linked to) to 20-30 GHz which is what is needed for a rise-time of 50 ps.

trambolin said:
Just a quick question have you ever considered how much energy needed to transmit this signal properly without getting lost along the way. I agree with negitron on that. And do you think they will withstand this load, without getting damage after some number of pulses?

I am just asking out of curiosity

No we haven't considered it yet. But the assumption is:distance between the pulse driver and the transmitter is as less as possible.

f95toli said:
The circuit you are linking to has a rise-time of 520ps +-100 ps according to the text; this is ten time what you asked for earlier.

I don't know how much experience you have with microwave circuitry, but I hope you realize that the difficulty and complexity (and price!) increases by many orders of magnitude when you go from operating at around 1-2 GHz (which can be done using "ordinary" high-speed electronics as in the circuit you linked to) to 20-30 GHz which is what is needed for a rise-time of 50 ps.

it seems, we might have to compromise with rise and fall times, may be upto 200ps.

1. What is a 1ns pulse and why is it important in scientific research?

A 1ns pulse is a very short burst of electromagnetic energy that lasts for only 1 nanosecond (1 billionth of a second). It is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study and manipulate extremely fast processes and signals, such as those found in electronics, optics, and communication systems.

2. How is a 1ns pulse generated?

A 1ns pulse can be generated using a variety of methods, depending on the specific application. One common method is to use a high-speed electronic switch, such as a transistor or diode, to rapidly turn a DC signal on and off, creating a short burst of electromagnetic energy.

3. What is the frequency of a 1ns pulse and why is it relevant?

The frequency of a 1ns pulse is the number of times it repeats in 1 second. In the case of a 1ns pulse with a frequency of 680MHz, it would repeat 680 million times per second. This frequency is relevant because it determines the speed at which information can be transmitted and processed, making it important in fields such as telecommunications and data processing.

4. How can a 1ns pulse with a frequency of 680MHz be used in scientific experiments?

A 1ns pulse with a frequency of 680MHz can be used in a variety of scientific experiments, such as studying the behavior of electronic components, analyzing fast-moving particles, or testing the speed and accuracy of communication systems. It can also be used in the development and testing of new technologies, such as ultra-fast computers or high-speed data transfer methods.

5. Are there any potential risks or limitations associated with generating a 1ns pulse with a frequency of 680MHz?

Yes, there can be potential risks and limitations associated with generating a 1ns pulse with a frequency of 680MHz. These can include interference with other electronic devices, potential health risks from exposure to high-frequency electromagnetic radiation, and the need for specialized equipment and expertise to generate and measure such a short and fast pulse.