Help need titration curve for Arginine

In summary, the question is whether the Arginine molecule gains any additional hydrogens when it is in a low pH environment and if the terminal C=NH group takes additional protons. The conversation also mentions a website that provides information on this topic.
Daemos
I have a question

When you do a titration curve for Arginine and you start it off in the acid exteme (low pH) does it gain anymore Hydrogens other than the one that always bonds to the COO- group? (so does it gain more than a +2 charge)

To rephrase, do any of the other two Nitrogens (other than the one double bonded to the Carbon in the R-Group) gain additional hydrogens when it acts as a base.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, the formula should be written in low pH like that:

[tex]HOOC-CH(NH_3)^+-(CH_2)_3-NH_2^+-C(=NH)-NH_2[/tex]

I don't think that the terminal C(=NH)-NH2 group takes additional protons, since they seem to be amphoteric.

But I have found this http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/proteins.htm, mentioning that the [itex]C=NH[/itex] group protonates instead to give the same 2+ charge, which is logical as the nitrogen I mentioned is somewhat hindered to react with proton.

I feel confident that the website will help you very much; I've liked it too.

Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot for the info :)

Last edited:

1. What is a titration curve?

A titration curve is a graphical representation of the pH of a solution as a function of the volume of a titrant added. It shows the changes in pH that occur as the titrant is added in small increments.

2. Why is a titration curve important in the study of Arginine?

A titration curve is important in the study of Arginine because it helps determine the pKa values of the amino acid's functional groups. This information is crucial in understanding the acid-base properties and behavior of Arginine in different environments.

3. How is a titration curve for Arginine obtained?

A titration curve for Arginine is obtained by titrating a known amount of Arginine with a strong acid or base and measuring the pH at each point of titration. The data is then plotted on a graph to create the titration curve.

4. What can the titration curve for Arginine tell us about its structure?

The titration curve for Arginine can provide information about the number of ionizable groups and their pKa values, which can give insight into the structure and functional groups of the amino acid. It can also help identify the isoelectric point (pI) of Arginine, which is important in protein purification and characterization.

5. How can the titration curve for Arginine be used in practical applications?

The titration curve for Arginine can be used in practical applications such as protein purification and drug development. It can also be used in the analysis and quantification of Arginine in biological samples, as well as in determining the optimal conditions for enzyme reactions involving Arginine.