Calc group velocity and wave velocity for a wave

In summary, the conversation is about a wave function with the formula \Psi=Aei(px-Et)/h where p is momentum and E=p2/2m. The group velocity is calculated using the equation dw/dk and the wave velocity is calculated using the equation w/k. The speaker is unsure of how to solve the problem but realizes that the formula used is not made up and is related to Schrodinger's time-independent equation.
leonne

Homework Statement

a wave function [tex]\Psi[/tex]=Aei(px-Et)/h where p is momentum and E=p2/2m calc group and wave velocity

Homework Equations

group vel=dw/dk
wave v=w/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have no idea what they did here to solve it.
i(px-Et)/h=i(kx-wt) than somehow got k=p/h than w=E/h than just used these to solve it but i don't get how they got it. Are these formulas? didn't seem them in the book. I kind of see how they got it. Did they just make it so the right side matches the left? Funny, as soon as i finish typing a problem here, i seem to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the formula wasn't just made up. e^(ipx/h) is the general equation for the momentum eigenstates, and since p can be any real number, it's also the general equation for a plane wave. According to Schrodinger's time-independent equation, the eigenstates' time evolution should be e^(-iEt/h), so the time-dependent wavefunction is e^(ipx/h)*e^(-iEt/h).

o ok thanks for the help

What is group velocity?

Group velocity refers to the speed at which the energy of a wave is transported through a medium. It is the velocity of the overall shape or envelope of a wave, rather than the velocity of a single point on the wave.

What is wave velocity?

Wave velocity is the speed at which a wave propagates through a medium. It is the distance traveled by a wave per unit time, and is usually measured in meters per second (m/s).

How are wave velocity and group velocity related?

Wave velocity and group velocity are related by the phase velocity, which is the speed at which the peak of a wave moves. The group velocity is equal to the phase velocity when the wave is a pure sinusoidal wave, but can be different for more complex waves.

What factors affect the group velocity of a wave?

The group velocity of a wave can be affected by the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity, as well as the frequency and wavelength of the wave. In general, the group velocity is slower in denser and more elastic mediums, and faster for higher frequencies and longer wavelengths.

How is group velocity calculated?

The group velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of the wave's dispersion relation with respect to its wavenumber. The dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship between the frequency and wavenumber of a wave, and can vary depending on the type of wave and the properties of the medium it is propagating through.