Are My Higher Derivative Answers Correct?

In summary, In the first problem, the first derivative is y'= (squareroot(x+1))(4)-(4x)(1/2)((x+1)^-1/2))/(x+1). In the second problem, the second derivative is y''=((x+1)[(2(x+1)^-1/2)-(2(x+1)^-1/2)-(x(x+1)^-3/2)] -4squareroot(x+1)+2x(x+1)^-1/2)/(x+1)^2. y'= (a
scorpa
Hello Everyone,

I'm doing some questions on higher derivatives, and they should be easy but I am worried that my answers are not quite right. There just seems to be something 'off' about them. Anyway here are the questions and my answers.

1) Find the first and second derivatives of y= (4x)/squareroot(x+1)

y' =(squareroot(x+1))(4)-(4x)(1/2)((x+1)^-1/2))/(x+1)

y'=(4squareroot(x+1)-(2x(x+1)^-1/2)/(x+1)

Ok, so that was my first derivative and I think it is ok, now for the second:

y''=((x+1)[(2(x+1)^-1/2)-(2(x+1)^-1/2)-(x(x+1)^-3/2)] -4squareroot(x+1)+2x(x+1)^-1/2)/(x+1)^2

I hope that doesn't look to confusing but I have a bad feeling it is.

2) Find the first and second derivatives of x^4+y^4=a^4

My biggest issue with this one is that I'm unsure of how to deal with the a, I just treated it like the x, and used implicit differentiation:

x^4 + y^4 = a^4

4x^3 + 4y^3 y' = 4a^3

y' =(4a^3 - 4x^3)/4y^3

y' = (a^3 -x^2)/y^3

y'' = y^3(3a^2-3x^2)-3y^2(a^3-x^3)/(y^6)

y'' = 3y^2 (ya^2-yx^2-a^3+x^3)/y^6

y'' = (3(ya^2-yx^2-a^3+x^3))/y^4

Well there it is, hope what I've shown makes sense, I know it is hard to read on a computer. Thanks for any help guys, I really appreciate your time and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
in the second problem 1 is a constant ant dy/dx of a constant is zero

Sometimes, differentiating quotients, it is simpler to use a negative exponent and use the product rule rather than the quotient rule.

For (1) write the function as y= 4x(x+1)1/2.
Then y'= 4(x+1)1/2+ (4x)(1/2)(x+1)-1/2.
= 4(x+1)1/2+ 2x(x+1)-1/2
Now y"= 4(1/2)(x+1)-1/2+ 2(x+1)-1/2-(2x)(1/2)(x+1)-3/2
= 4(x+1)-1/2- x(x+1)-3/2.
Since the original problem was written as a fraction, you might want to write that as (3x+ 4)/(x+1)3/2 or
[tex]\frac{3x+4}{\sqrt{(x+1)^3}}[/tex].

As mathmike pointed out, the "a^4" is a constant. Its derivative is 0. You have x4+ y4= a4 so 4x3+ 4y3y'= 0 or simply x3+ y3y'= 0. Now it's better not to solve for y' but just use implicit differentiation again:
3x2+ 3y2y'+ y3y"= 0
Now [tex]y"= -\frac{3x^2+ 3y^2y'}{y^3}[/tex].
That still has y' in it but that's okay.

HallsofIvy said:
Sometimes, differentiating quotients, it is simpler to use a negative exponent and use the product rule rather than the quotient rule.
For (1) write the function as y= 4x(x+1)1/2.
Then y'= 4(x+1)1/2+ (4x)(1/2)(x+1)-1/2.
= 4(x+1)1/2+ 2x(x+1)-1/2...
Uhmm,... there's a slight error in it.
It should read: y= 4x(x+1)-1/2, not y= 4x(x+1)1/2 :smile:
So:
y'= 4(x+1)-1/2 - (4x)(1/2)(x+1)-3/2.
= 4(x+1)-1/2 - 2x(x+1)-3/2 = (4x + 4 - 2x)(x+1)-3/2 = (2x + 4)(x+1)-3/2.
y'' = 2(x+1)-3/2 - 3 / 2 (2x + 4)(x+1)-5/2
= (2x + 2 - 3x - 6)(x+1)-5/2 = (-x - 4)(x+1)-5/2
[tex]= -\frac{x + 4}{\sqrt{(x + 1) ^ 5}}[/tex].
Viet Dao,

Hmmm ok, I never realized that a should be taken as a constant. Now that I know you have to take it as a constant, could someone please explain why to me? How do you know a is a constant instead of just another variable, I had a question awhile ago where we had to take the derivatives of d's and b's and a's all together in a question and I'm not sure how to tell when you take it as a constant or not. As for the other questions thanks again for the help, I will go and try it using the product rule as you suggested and see if I can get it to work out that way. Thanks a lot.

the derivative of x^n = nx^(n-1)

and if it is ax^n it would be anx^(n-1)

and d/dx[a]=0

so if you take the der of something that is multiplied by a constant then the der is still multiplied by the constant.

but if it has no variable then it will go to zero

OK thanks again. I understand that the derivative of a constant is zero, but I guess what I am trying to ask is how to you know for sure that a is a constant? I am asking this because I have had a question before where you had to differentiate a's and b's and there were no x's in front of them, you did it as though a was not a constant. Maybe I am just being stupid here...haha.

The problem asked you to find dy/dx. The only way you can do that is if y is a function of the single variable x: a can't be a variable.

You probably haven't covered partial derivatives yet, but even if you were given that y was a function of the two variables x and a, the partial derivative [tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/tex] would be done by treating a as if it were a constant so you would get the same answer.

Oh, ok I think I understand now, thank you!

What are higher order derivatives?

Higher order derivatives are derivatives of a derivative. They represent the rate of change of a rate of change, or the curvature of a curve. They are useful in understanding the behavior of functions and can be used to find maximum or minimum values.

How do you find higher order derivatives?

To find higher order derivatives, you take the derivative of the previous derivative. For example, the second derivative of a function f(x) is written as f''(x) and is found by taking the derivative of f'(x). Higher order derivatives can be found using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule.

What is the significance of higher order derivatives?

Higher order derivatives provide information about the curvature of a function and can be used to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point. They can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

Can higher order derivatives be negative?

Yes, higher order derivatives can be negative. Like first order derivatives, they can be positive or negative depending on the behavior of the function. A negative higher order derivative indicates a concave down curve, while a positive higher order derivative indicates a concave up curve.

Where are higher order derivatives used?

Higher order derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are also used extensively in calculus to analyze the behavior of functions and to solve optimization problems.