Uncovering How My LAN IP Was Revealed

• Thread starter RedX
  • Start date
In summary, the website found my LAN address even though I had changed my security settings on my browser.
RedX
I went to one of those websites that look up your WAN IP address, and they gave it correctly, but they also gave me my LAN IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx).

How do they know my LAN IP address? I thought that those outside your LAN only see the public IP address of your router, and only your router knows your LAN IP?

Did the router give that information up?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your browser sent the address, and many other parameters like you OS, etc

Rogerio said:
Your browser sent the address, and many other parameters like you OS, etc

I thought the only purpose of my browser is to render and request HTML. I thought internet exchanges were at the application level, and not the operating system level, so why do servers need to know my OS?

That's strange. IP packet has only one field for sender's address which carries global IP address after passing your router(after NAT). There shouldn't be any way for outsiders to know your private IP address.

Last edited:
lostinxlation said:
That's strange. IP packet has only one field for sender's address which carries global IP address after passing your router(after NAT). There shouldn't be any way for outsiders to know your private IP address.

Well, the website is here:

http://ip-lookup.net/

That's what I thought to, that there is no way, since they only see my global IP address. But maybe it's because you have to click on something for it to tell you your LAN, and by clicking on something, you are sending that information. That's probably it.

I clicked on the "LAN IP address", and it kept trying, but has never returned my private IP address. I highly doubt there is any standard way to obtain the private address, but might be possible depending on the setup ?

lostinxlation said:
I clicked on the "LAN IP address", and it kept trying, but has never returned my private IP address. I highly doubt there is any standard way to obtain the private address, but might be possible depending on the setup ?

Yeah, it shows my private address correctly when I click on "LAN IP Address". But maybe your router is different. Whenever you click on something, anything goes, your computer can be instructed to send whatever information, so maybe that's how it got my LAN IP address.

I'm under the impression the setup of my browser blocked some program to execute to obtain private address. Maybe you can change the security level or disable some functions of your browser to see what will happen.

Last edited:
RedX said:
I thought the only purpose of my browser is to render and request HTML. I thought internet exchanges were at the application level, and not the operating system level, so why do servers need to know my OS?

The browser sends information about itself and the host (version, OS, release, user, etc...)

lostinxlation said:

The info goes inside the payload (data field)

The website LAN feature attempts to run a java app to retrieve your LAN. But it didn't have enough privileges to access that information.

If anyone is still seeing your LAN, try stepping up the security bar in your browser couple of notches higher.

1. How was my LAN IP revealed?

There are various ways in which your LAN IP address can be revealed. This can happen if you visit a malicious website, download infected files, or if your network has weak security measures.

2. Can someone use my LAN IP to access my personal information?

Your LAN IP address alone cannot be used to access your personal information. However, if an attacker has access to your LAN, they can potentially access your devices and data within the network.

3. How can I prevent my LAN IP from being revealed?

To prevent your LAN IP from being revealed, you can use a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your internet traffic and hide your IP address. You can also ensure that your network has strong security measures in place, such as a firewall and regularly updated passwords.

4. Is it possible to change my LAN IP address?

Yes, it is possible to change your LAN IP address. You can do this by accessing your router's settings and changing the LAN IP address. Keep in mind that this may disrupt your network temporarily.

5. How can I check if my LAN IP has been revealed?

You can use online tools or commands on your computer to check if your LAN IP has been revealed. If you suspect that your IP has been revealed, you can also contact your internet service provider for assistance.