Which Calculator is Best for High School and Beyond?

In summary: That would not help me that much.No, a graphing calculator is definitely necessary. What do you need it for? Many tests allow only scientific calculators, not graphing ones. However, if you're planning to take calculus or statistics, you definitely need a graphing calculator. I'd say the TI-83 and TI-84 are both good because they're the most common. What do you need it for? Many tests allow only scientific calculators, not graphing ones. However, if you're planning to take calculus or statistics, you definitely need a graphing calculator. I'd say the TI-83 and TI-84 are both good because they're the most common.
I've never been a fan of Ti scientific calculators. I was in grade school when personal calculators first came out and Ti was pretty much the only choice at that time. Also, I don't generally care for graphing calculators - I have rarely found a need for them, so I find them to be unnecessarily larger and pricier. I prefer HP and Sharp calculators. I have an old HP 32SII that I love, but my wife recently "stole" it from me. For a less expensive calculator, I've always preferred Sharp over Ti mainly due to the keyboard layout. I generally find that I like the way Sharp lays things out, better than the way Ti does. I'm currently using an EL-520W which I've come to like even more than my HP. The only problem is that it's not programmable, per se. It does allow you to enter up to 4 custom functions which is helpful. And, it has 8 memory registers, in addition to the standard "M" memory (that utilizes the M+ & M- keys). It even does simple integrations and derivatives.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used the TI-83 in high school. Played more games with it than calculations :D