JAMES BOND: Energy in Bonds

In summary, the conversation is discussing a potential energy curve and system, and how the kinetic energy of a little atom approaching a big atom from infinity is converted to potential energy as they get closer. The question is asking at what distance has all the kinetic energy been converted to potential energy, and the graph/curve can help determine this. The possible options for the distance are x=0, x=0.04 nm, x=0.11 nm, x=0.2 nm, x=0.3 nm, or Other.
eraemia

Homework Statement

Consider a potential energy curve and system as shown in Figure C11.5. Imagine that the little atom approaches the big atom from infinity with an initial kinetic energy K=5x10-21 J. How close to the big atom does it get?

a. x=0
b. x=0.04 nm
c. x=0.11 nm
d. x=0.2 nm
e. x=0.3 nm
f. Other

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get how to solve this at all. Any pointers? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the atoms get closer, the kinetic energy of the little atom is converted to potential between the two atoms...

At what distance has all the kinetic energy been converted to potential energy? The graph/curve should help you to see this...

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the potential energy curve and understanding the relationship between potential energy and distance. The potential energy curve shows that as the distance between the two atoms decreases, the potential energy also decreases. This is due to the attractive force between the two atoms.

Next, I would use the given initial kinetic energy of 5x10^-21 J to calculate the maximum potential energy that the atom can have. This can be done using the equation PE = K = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the atom and v is its velocity.

Once I have the maximum potential energy, I can use this information to determine how close the atom can get to the big atom. This can be done by comparing the maximum potential energy to the potential energy at different distances on the curve.

Based on this analysis, I would conclude that the correct answer is option c) x=0.11 nm. This is because at this distance, the potential energy is equal to the maximum potential energy of the atom, meaning that the atom can no longer get any closer to the big atom without exceeding its maximum potential energy.

1. What is "JAMES BOND: Energy in Bonds"?

"JAMES BOND: Energy in Bonds" is a scientific concept that explains the energy associated with the chemical bonds between atoms in a molecule. It is named after the famous fictional spy, James Bond, because of the wordplay on the term "chemical bond".

2. How does energy play a role in chemical bonds?

Energy is required to form chemical bonds between atoms. This energy comes from the attraction between the positive and negative charges of the atoms. The energy is then released when the bonds are broken.

3. What factors affect the energy in chemical bonds?

The energy in a chemical bond is affected by several factors, including the types of atoms involved, the distance between the atoms, and the arrangement of the atoms in the molecule.

4. How is "JAMES BOND: Energy in Bonds" measured?

The energy in chemical bonds is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). This is known as the bond energy or bond dissociation energy, and it represents the amount of energy required to break one mole of a specific type of bond.

5. Why is understanding "JAMES BOND: Energy in Bonds" important in scientific research?

Understanding the energy in chemical bonds is crucial in many fields of science, including chemistry, biology, and materials science. It allows us to predict and explain the behavior of molecules, reactions, and materials. It also plays a significant role in drug discovery, materials design, and renewable energy research.