What current is flowing through the on/off switch?

In summary, the current flowing through the on/off switch in the given circuit is approximately 0.38 amperes when the switch is turned on. This can be calculated using the formula I=V/R, where V is the voltage of the battery and R is the total resistance in the circuit. Using this formula, the calculated value is close to option D. However, the exact value may vary due to rounding or other factors.
persian52

The circuit below is powered by a 20-volt battery. What current is flowing through the on/off switch (When it is on, as shown)?

o01beu.jpg

A. 0.23 amperes
B. 0.29 amperes
C. 0.32 amperes
D. 0.38 amperes

i tried myself i got a close answer to D. 0.38 amperes but i want to make sure thanks you! ☺

Physics news on Phys.org

Would you like to show how you got that?

mgb_phys said:
Would you like to show how you got that?

hmm u want me to tell u wat i got? because i got close to Question D. but i want to get the accurate answer.

Last edited:

persian52 said:
hmm u want me to tell u wat i got?
No, we want you to show your work.

1/16 + 1/20 = 0.1125

1/0.1125 + 24 +20 = 52.8

20v/52.8 = 0.38

Looks good! :smile:

The current flowing through the on/off switch is determined by the voltage applied and the resistance of the circuit.

Does the current change when the switch is turned on or off?

When the switch is turned on, the current will flow through the circuit. When the switch is turned off, the current will stop flowing through the circuit.

How is the current affected by the position of the switch?

The position of the switch determines whether the current can flow through the circuit or not. When the switch is in the "on" position, the current can flow through the circuit. When the switch is in the "off" position, the current cannot flow through the circuit.

What happens to the current if the switch is faulty?

If the switch is faulty, the current may not flow through the circuit properly. It could cause the circuit to have too much or too little current, which can potentially damage the circuit or its components.

Can the current be measured at the on/off switch?

The current can be measured at any point in the circuit, including the on/off switch. However, it is important to note that the current measured at the switch may not accurately reflect the current throughout the entire circuit as it can vary depending on the resistance and voltage in different parts of the circuit.