Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
Moonbear said:
I've been to Downtown Disney too. I think they have a lot of merchandise in common, though when I'm at Disney World, I'm really not there to shop like I am when I'm in NYC.

As a passholder, I get 10% discount when shopping at the WDW World of Disney Store. So I tend to do almost all of my shopping there AND have the stuff shipped directly home to Chicago (saves the trouble of worrying if they will all fit in my luggage). So I tend to scout things that they have there first, so that I'll know if I find something else that they don't have elsewere in WDW.

...and I'd never live it down if I wound up with mouse ears on the backs of all my chairs or something like that.

Oh, is that a bad thing? <looks at the mouse ears on top of his computer monitor>

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW, I've been baiting Doc Al to go to the NYC World of Disney store to do the pin pursuit. So far, he's not biting.

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
BTW, I've been baiting Doc Al to go to the NYC World of Disney store to do the pin pursuit. So far, he's not biting.

Zz.

Too bad. If I wasn't in the middle of moving, I had tentative plans to visit a friend in NYC later this month (he's disappointed too because it was the only excuse he had to get out of a family vacation with his in-laws if he had someone else visiting from out of town, so now they're stuck having to put up with his in-laws...her parents, but I think she gets along with them better than he does...at a beach house for a week). Anyway, if I was going, I'd have at least made some of an effort to find you a pin if I had time while wandering between stores.

I'll be in NJ for Christmas, and can probably hop a train to NYC for a day if there's anything going on then (it'll be a short visit there though if I'm planning on meeting up with you in FL in January). I got a very early invitation from a friend of mine, which I jumped on since it means I won't have to stay in my sister's filthy house for Christmas and listen to my brother-in-law whining about whatever he's whining about this time. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Too bad. If I wasn't in the middle of moving, I had tentative plans to visit a friend in NYC later this month (he's disappointed too because it was the only excuse he had to get out of a family vacation with his in-laws if he had someone else visiting from out of town, so now they're stuck having to put up with his in-laws...her parents, but I think she gets along with them better than he does...at a beach house for a week). Anyway, if I was going, I'd have at least made some of an effort to find you a pin if I had time while wandering between stores.

Awww... you are so sweet! And yes, I would like to have some of the pins exclusive to the store. I'm hoping that I get to visit Brookhaven Lab for a few days in Nov. on work-related stuff, and take the LIRR into Manhattan. But I think I have to change that (not sure yet) for a symposium in... ahem... Maui. [It's a tough job, but somebody got to do it]

I'll be in NJ for Christmas, and can probably hop a train to NYC for a day if there's anything going on then (it'll be a short visit there though if I'm planning on meeting up with you in FL in January).

Phew! I was just about to ask you that.

I think I will know more about the Jan Disney trip by early Nov. Unless something goes wrong, I don't see it being a problem. The only problem being that if we plan on flying in Jan 1st, that's still the tail end of a very busy time of the year, and it is usually advisable that hotel/plan reservations are made early for that period.

But you'll be staying with your parents, no? If Evo and I can't find a place to stay, can we crash at your parents' place? :)

Zz.

Whoa! Are we ready for ANOTHER Disney theme park in China this soon? The one in Hong Kong isn't even open yet!

http://au.biz.yahoo.com/050731/18/6ddy.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't appreciate my posts being deleted :wink:

ZapperZ said:
But you'll be staying with your parents, no? If Evo and I can't find a place to stay, can we crash at your parents' place? :)

Zz.
:bugeye: I thought the idea of this was to stop into see my parents while having a fully viable to excuse to avoid actually staying with them...at least not for any longer than it takes to drag them to the AAA office to get the resident discount on Disney passes. :biggrin: But, yeah, I'd probably stay with them a day or two, but they aren't that close to the Magic Kingdom. I think it was an hour or so drive, so I'd spend my Disney time at a Disney hotel. I learned last time that driving back to their house after a long day at Disney is not much fun.

Moonbear said:
:bugeye: I thought the idea of this was to stop into see my parents while having a fully viable to excuse to avoid actually staying with them...at least not for any longer than it takes to drag them to the AAA office to get the resident discount on Disney passes. :biggrin: But, yeah, I'd probably stay with them a day or two, but they aren't that close to the Magic Kingdom. I think it was an hour or so drive, so I'd spend my Disney time at a Disney hotel. I learned last time that driving back to their house after a long day at Disney is not much fun.

Oooh... yes. That certainly is the better plan. We will have to coordinate where we will stay. I vote somewhere close to Downtown Disney. That way, we just have to drag ourselves only a few feet to get back to the hotel after a night out at Pleasure Island.

Of course, if Evo brings Evo Child, this plan may change. :)

Zz.

More Disney trivia...

In the Tower of Terror attraction, how many passengers were on the elevator that was truck by lightning on its way up?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Bah!

So... just where is this den of iniquity? And what is it that you want exactly? (Can't you just order it online?)

Perhaps if I'm home one weekend (I spend more time in NJ than in NYC ) I can put on the dark glasses and hike uptown.

Doc Al said:
Bah!

So... just where is this den of iniquity? And what is it that you want exactly? (Can't you just order it online?)

Perhaps if I'm home one weekend (I spend more time in NJ than in NYC ) I can put on the dark glasses and hike uptown.

Awwww... I just KNEW there was a soft spot in you, Doc Al! :)

The store is located on Fifth Ave. at 711 Fifth Avenue (just south of Central Park). And no, the pins are not available to be bought online - they are exclusive to that particular store and can only be obtained there (see the torture and suffering us pin addicts have to go through?)

I'm guessing that you won't want to be bothered with the pin pursuit thing (http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=10204), so I won't ask you to go get those pins (only if you want to). Instead, could you get me ALL of the pins listed here? :)

http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/wod.htm

You probably will not get the limited edition one that was released last year when they opened. But I'd appreciate the open edition ones, ESPECIALLY the Donald pin! :)

Moonbie: do you want any? :)

Zz.

Happy, happy, happy! Joy, joy, joy!

It's good to have friends. Today, I received the long-awaited shipment of the stuff I asked a friend to buy on July 17, the official 50th Birthday of Disneyland. The first picture shows the Disneyland golden Mickey ears hat. I got 4 of those. So now there is no possibility of me fighting it out with Integral's daughter for this hat. There are also special dated park booklets for that day, and a few limited edition pins.

However, the STAR attraction of this package is the specially-handed out Mickey golden ears hat with a special decal in front (2nd picture) and the embroided data on the back (3rd picture)! This hat was handed out to the guests that day and cannot be bought. I only got one, and I will have to find a special place to display this.

OK... I'm happy... for now!

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
However, the STAR attraction of this package is the specially-handed out Mickey golden ears hat with a special decal in front (2nd picture) and the embroided data on the back (3rd picture)! This hat was handed out to the guests that day and cannot be bought. I only got one, and I will have to find a special place to display this.

Nice. I like the third one the best, very shiny (and if I assume correctly, all PF members like shiny things). :-p The gold-colo(u)r trim makes Mickey seem that much more interesting.

Shiny :biggrin:.

(ok I'm weird I like shiny reflective stuff).

ZapperZ said:
Happy, happy, happy! Joy, joy, joy!

It's good to have friends. Today, I received the long-awaited shipment of the stuff I asked a friend to buy on July 17, the official 50th Birthday of Disneyland. The first picture shows the Disneyland golden Mickey ears hat. I got 4 of those. So now there is no possibility of me fighting it out with Integral's daughter for this hat. There are also special dated park booklets for that day, and a few limited edition pins.

OK... I'm happy... for now!

Zz.
Wow, those are really good friends! They could have pretended not to have received a hat and held out to make big bucks on e-bay later.

Evo said:
Wow, those are really good friends! They could have pretended not to have received a hat and held out to make big bucks on e-bay later.

Remember, I threatened them with bodily harm to force them to go there on that day in the first place. They won't dare to double-cross me! :)

Zz.

motai said:
Nice. I like the third one the best, very shiny (and if I assume correctly, all PF members like shiny things). :-p The gold-colo(u)r trim makes Mickey seem that much more interesting.

Shiny :biggrin:.

(ok I'm weird I like shiny reflective stuff).

Er... mortai. The 3rd one is the same as the second one, only the view from the back of the hat.

And yes, we do like shiny reflective stuff as well. :)

Zz.

So ZZ, has anyone ever pointed out how much Disney people are like Star Trek people?

We have Trekkies and Walties? :biggrin:

Wanna trade a mickey pin for a chart of the Gorn reproductive system?

Ivan Seeking said:
So ZZ, has anyone ever pointed out how much Disney people are like Star Trek people?

We have Trekkies and Walties? :biggrin:

Wanna trade a mickey pin for a chart of the Gorn reproductive system?

Er... Ivan, don't take this the wrong way, but

EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

That would be Ferengi. I'll see what I can do. :biggrin:

Actually, I not even a trekkie; at least not enough to attened a convention.

Ivan Seeking said:

Actually, believe it or not, I don't think I'm a "waltie" <shock runs through the room>.

I am not that big on Disney stuff, especially the movies and the music. I just like Walt Disney World, collecting pins, Pooh Bear, Donald Duck, attending pin events, taking pictures with the Disney characters, cute disney merchandizes, hanging out in Downtown Disney, La Nouba, watching House of Mouse, Fantasia, Disney lore, and golden Mickey ears hat.

Other than those, I know nothing about Disney.

Zz.

Looks like they're bringing out the big guns for the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050803/en_afp/afpentertainment_050803172453

They may need to, especially with the problems they're having with their intended fireworks show.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/Metro/GH02Ak08.html

So who says it is easy being THE mouse? :)

Zz.

Ivan Seeking said:
That would be Ferengi. I'll see what I can do. :biggrin:

That's obvious. If you were, you'd know that they prefer to be called trekkers! No, I'm not one, but I knew one once and she was quite adamant about that point. :eek:

ZapperZ said:
Looks like they're bringing out the big guns for the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050803/en_afp/afpentertainment_050803172453

They may need to, especially with the problems they're having with their intended fireworks show.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/Metro/GH02Ak08.html

So who says it is easy being THE mouse? :)

Zz.

I think I'd wait until I was certain I wasn't going to bring home any wood-eating beetles!

The folks at Disney World are at it again. Even before the upcomming pin event at Epcot has even started, they are already planning and announcing the next pin event for the holiday season. This time, it will be at Disney/MGM Studios. This is where all the special holiday-themed pins will be released - all of them, needless to say, in limited edition.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=10680

Since Evo likes to collect Christmas/Holiday stuff, let's hope some of these pins are still around if we get there during the first week of January.

Zz.

Last edited:
Even more Disney trivia...

Which Magic Kingdom attraction features music from Song of the South?

[Hint: it's my most favorite attraction at the Magic Kingdom] :)

Zz.

The only time I ever went to Disney World was when my family was in Orlando for a colloquia of my Mom's University. We figured that we'd make a trip of it, and head down there and do Disney. Unfortuntely, it was directly over New Years, and we all rather dislike crowds. That wasn't too much fun. :smile:

Overall, I think it may have been a cool park, had it not been filled to capacity (they actually stopped selling tickets). :smile:

ZapperZ said:
Even more Disney trivia...

Which Magic Kingdom attraction features music from Song of the South?

[Hint: it's my most favorite attraction at the Magic Kingdom] :)

Zz.

The Dumbo ride? I don't know what music they play, I just know it's one of your favorite rides. Otherwise I'd have to guess something like the Country Bear Jamboree. :biggrin:

You're in Knoxville? I was just there last June for the PAC conference at the Convention Center. We had a public day with "Einstein in the City" to celebrate the World Year of Physics 2005. I was looking for other PF'ers to meet up, but didn't get any response...:(

SamuelGreen800 said:
The only time I ever went to Disney World was when my family was in Orlando for a colloquia of my Mom's University. We figured that we'd make a trip of it, and head down there and do Disney. Unfortuntely, it was directly over New Years, and we all rather dislike crowds. That wasn't too much fun. :smile:

Overall, I think it may have been a cool park, had it not been filled to capacity (they actually stopped selling tickets). :smile:

Well, yes. The end of the year holiday is their BUSIEST time. I would not recommend anyone who hasn't been there already to go around that time. You'll never be able to do the park and all the attractions. And yes, they do close the parks when they have reached their capacity. I've been there during that time when they broke all attendence records at the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. The parks were closed for entrance by 2:00 pm.

You should go the week after Labor Day. It is the best time to go, and the crowds will be considerably smaller.

Zz.

Moonbear said:
The Dumbo ride? I don't know what music they play, I just know it's one of your favorite rides. Otherwise I'd have to guess something like the Country Bear Jamboree. :biggrin:

Hint #2: Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zap-A-Dee-Ay...

And if there's any justice, this tune will stick in your head all day.

Zz.

OK, so Disney needs more of this kind of publicity like I need a hole in the head.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8834609/

What is with people dropping like flies all of the sudden here?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Hint #2: Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zap-A-Dee-Ay...

And if there's any justice, this tune will stick in your head all day.

Zz.

Thanks. I know that Zip-a-dee-doo-dah would be from Song of the South, but cannot think of a ride that features that song!

Moonbear said:
Thanks. I know that Zip-a-dee-doo-dah would be from Song of the South, but cannot think of a ride that features that song!

OK, hint #3: Brer Fox chasing after Brer Rabbit.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, hint #3: Brer Fox chasing after Brer Rabbit.

Zz.
Is this something new? I don't think I've ever seen that. Is it at Disney World or Disneyland?

Moonbear said:
Is this something new? I don't think I've ever seen that. Is it at Disney World or Disneyland?

No, it's not new. And I did say The Magic Kingdom, so it's at Disney World.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No, it's not new. And I did say The Magic Kingdom, so it's at Disney World.

Zz.
Hmm...I looked it up. It says Splash Mountain, and I've been on that ride, but don't recall Zip-a-dee-doo-dah or Brer Rabbit. I must have been focused on the big splash or keeping from sliding in my seat. Unless I didn't go on it last time, so it's not recent in my memory...I'm trying to remember if I was there on a cool day and might have opted out of getting wet.