Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
This is the official website for Disney Fairies...

Er... no, I don't mean THAT kind of fairies, thank you!

:)

http://disney.go.com/fairies/

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Get satellite! That way, you can keep the same service no matter when you go. For some reason, I think you'd be just the right person to enjoy BBC America channel!

<burp, blech>

Zz.
Nah, I definitely don't need satellite. First, I'm not sure if the building owner would be happy with me mounting a dish on his roof. But, aside from that, I've house sat for people with satellite TV and every time it would rain (esp. thunderstorms), it started losing reception. I'm totally content with just 5 channels. Even if I got cable, I'd just get the basic $12/month package that gives you 22 channels (it's only because they even offer a package that cheap that I'm considering it...I lived for a few years without any TV and didn't miss it a bit). It's a big step that I'm going to get DSL for my internet!

The latest pictures from the progress of Expedition Everest. Needless today, the Disney freaks like me are just salivating. No opening dates have been announced yet.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/beastly.htm

Zz.

If you are close to the Disneyland area, or going to Disneyland some time soon, then I HATE YOU!

This gorgeous pin is scheduled to be released on Aug. 21st. at Disneyland. If you love Fantasia like I do, you'll recognize the significance of this pin. Not only that, the artist who designed the pin will be around to sign this and several of the pins he designed.

Damn it!

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=10568

Zz.

Disney honors US Teachers of the Year.

http://disney.go.com/inside/issues/stories/v050816.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
A month before the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, Mickey Mania is hitting the island and the surrounding region.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/363f6c62-0f85-11da-8b31-00000e2511c8.html

Zz.

It appears that today is the last day of operation for The Living Seas pavilion at Epcot. It will be closing for several months for refurbishing, and will reopen in November. So no more Corral restaurant and no more Sea Base Alpha for now.

Zz.

On some days, I'd like to wear this pin.

Unfortunately, it will only be released at Disneyland, again! <sigh>

Zz.

Last edited:
OK, this could flop like a Keanu Reeves movie, but what the hey...

I'm going to give away a Disney pin of my choice to the first person who answers this correctly. You have to post the answer on here, so that will be the ultimate evidence on who did what when. But here's the catch. You only have ONE chance at answering the complete question AND I will only reveal who won Sunday next week. This means that just because someone has posted an answer on here, it doesn't mean that person got it completely correct. So if you think you have the right answer, post it, and post it quickly!

This "contest" is not a PF event. It is entirely out of my own "pocket". If you are the winner, I will contact you on how you would like the pin sent to you.

Here we go. You have to answer BOTH questions correctly.

1. What was the tune that Mickey Mouse whistled to at the beginning of Steamboat Willie?

2. What Disney World attraction has the tune with this lyrics:

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
Shinning at the end of everyday
There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away

Good luck!

Zz.

1- Steamboat Bill

2 - Carousel of Progress

OK, so I've mentioned that on this upcoming Disney World trip, I will be attending my first pin event, the Happiest Pin Celebration on Earth. One of the many events planned for this is the release of a number (try hundreds) of limited edition pins (some only in lots of 50). The attendees can look over the list and put in requests to buy these pins. These requests are then selected at random and if you're selected, you will get to buy the pins you requested.

I submitted my requests several months ago, and yesterday I was informed that about 50% of what I requested, I can get! One of the ones that I really want is this:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=8769

I got it! It's a jumbo pin with Chip and Dale in a hot air balloon. Unfortunately, the one that I really, really wanted to buy, I didn't get, which was this:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=8810

I'm quite disappointed because I would have traded everything else just to get this particular one. I would have never sold this off, but I can see that the value of this set would do nothing but just shoot up over time.

In any case, I am still looking forward to attending this event. A few of the artists who designed the pins that I will be buying will be on hand. I'm hoping to get a few pictures with these very talented people.

12 days and counting...

Zz.

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World

Of all the Disney guide books out there, the one I would highly recommend is the continually-updated "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bob Sehlinger, Len Testa. It is in paperback and costs about $13 on Amazon. In fact, a new one for 2006 is about to be published (Amazon is listing it for Aug. 29 2005).

If you are going there for the first time, or want a more informed experienced other than just stumbling through the parks blindly, this is the book to get. It's the next best thing to getting a guided tour. Or, you can just go to Disney World with me!

Zz.

Disney Visa card exclusive pin

Disney is releasing a Disney Visa card exclusive pin on Aug. 29th. "Unfortunately", it's a Stitch-themed pin.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=8602

It is basically a stitch character mounted on a background card. Now don't get me wrong, I like Lilo And Stitch movie, but I'm not much into the Stitch character. And the new attraction at the Magic Kingdom - Stitch Great Adventure (which replaces the much more terrifying Alien Encounter) - SUCKS big time (I don't recommend this attraction).

However, I will still get a couple of this pin because of one reason - KIDS LOVE STITCH! It will be on my pin-trading lanyard and my big bargaining pin with kids who have "rare" pins that I want. Most of them simply can't refuse when they see a Stitch pin, and this one will be very enticing because of the exclusive nature of the pin and it comes with a card!

So watch out kids! Uncle Zap is comin' to get your pins! Bwahahahahaha!

Zz.

Hey, who knew the Mormons would identify with Goofy? (I will make no further commentary on that) :)

http://www.sltrib.com/travel/ci_2959317

Zz.

Rest in Peace, Wonders of Life.

It appears that this last closure is final. The Wonders of Life pavilion at Epcot has been opened only during the high seasons. Most of the year, it is closed with the explanation that it is under renovations. Well, rumor has it that the new Epcot map no longer has this pavilion listed anymore. It certainly seems that we have seen the last of the pavilion in its current form.

Of course, rumors are spreading around as to what it will evolve into. Most of the Disney fanatics (I'm included) would love to see a rollercoaster ride built in the huge building. It would only make sense since the other 3 parks have at least one rollercoaster attraction [Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad at Magic Kingdom, Rock 'N' Rollercoaster at Disney/MGM, and the about-to-open Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom]. Epcot is the only one without. There have been earlier rumors that they might overhaul Spaceship Earth (that big golf ball) and build a rollercoaster inside of that. But I think there's too many people who love that attraction, even if it's slightly tired and needs major upgrading (one can start by getting rid of those AT&T signs - does AT&T even exist anymore?). So that rumor came and went and nothing happened.

Personally, I hope they do something spectacular ("make no small plans"), especially if they can coincide that with Epcot's 25th Anniversary in 2007. That would be perfect.

Zz.

As reported by mousemerf on WDWmagic, Pooh's Playful Spot will officially open Sept. 1st, 2005 in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. Hooray!

<dance around in circles>

Uh-oh. On the other hand, they may not let adults play in it.

Drat! :(

Zz.

In the ongoing category of "They're making it up just like Hallmark", did you know that the first weekend after Labor Day is Grandparents Day? You didn't? Shame on you! Well the Disney people are here to remind you of that by releasing a pin to commemorate this day.

Strangely enough, it actually is a cute pin, considering that all the Fab Five are in it. Too bad I don't have any grandparents, and it is only going to be released in Disneyland.

Zz.

Last edited:
Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights

Hey Evo, Moonbie, and other PF'ers who might be interested,

Here's ANOTHER reason to really consider going to WDW right at the 1st week of January: the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/osborn_lights.htm

It will only be on till Jan 2nd. So if we fly in on the 1st, we'd be in time to catch the last of this and other holiday decorations.

This would be fun, yes?

Zz.

Last edited:
Disney is looking for a singing, sexy Tarzan for their new Broadway musical. Do you qualify?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16354524-1702,00.html

BTW, as a related trivia, how many Disney-produced theatrical productions are currently running on Broadway, and what are they?

Zz.

Valiant, a Disney distributed film, opened to disappointing numbers at the box office. And it may be a strategy that could hurt the much-anticipated debut of the fully-digital Disney animation film Chicken Little.

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID509500.asp

Sometime you just wonder what they were thinking...

Zz.

GayDays at the Magic Kingdom

OK, so this is a pitifull and shameless attempt at seducing members of PF of a certain persuasion <winks at arildno in particular> to come visit Walt Disney World (WDW).

This past June marked the 15th anniversary of GayDays at the Magic Kingdom. It was 15 years ago that a group of gays and lesbians decended upon the Magic Kingdom at WDW wearing red shirts and be counted to show their significant presence at the park and their economic muscle. Since then, the event has grown tremendously and more than 300,000 visitors to the Orlando area for the GayDays celebration. It has turned the GayDays week as the second busiest time of the year for WDW (only the end-of-the-year holidays are busier). Needless to say, the economic impact of this event to the Orlando area is huge.

GayDays is usually the first weekend in June. In the US, this is typically the weekend after Memorial Day weekend. However, there are events the week leading up to the main event, which is GayDays at the Magic Kingdom. There are GayDays expo at a host hotel, the Mayor GayDays reception usually at the Orlando Convention Center, and other parties and events throughout Orlando. Numerous other businesses and theme parks (such as SeaWorld and Universal Studios) are also participating. Usually, these businesses and theme parks would have a designated event or day that has been declared as their GayDays event.

Ironically enough, Disney World does not officially acknowledge the GayDays event. You can go through their website or be at their resort, and you would not hear a word about this. When asked, their response has always been that everyone is welcome at any given day at WDW. It is their policy to not single out any group of people to designate a special day.

HOWEVER, one can tell that that they leave subtle hints that they unoficially acknowledge the GayDays attendees. It is not unusual to see this during the GayDays week. The floral design of Mickey's head at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom has been known to be done in all RED during the week. Or the window display as you walk down Main Street are all clothings in RED! Or what about releasing a surprise pin during the GayDays week of Mickey in front of a rainbow? They did just that this past June!

And on the magical day itself, the Saturday GayDays event at the Magic Kingdom, the park is awashed in a sea of red, mainly from the GayDays attendees, but also from a few unsuspecting people who just happened to be wearing red ["Hey kids, let's all wear red shirt when we go to the Magic Kingdom so that we can clearly find one another!"]. To say that the sea of red is overwhelming is to put it mildly. I have talked to a few gays and lesbians while they were viewing Main Street from high up on the Train Station, and a few of them have admitted that the view was very emotional and empowering.

And that's not all! Another major event is the White Party at same night at Disney/MGM Studios. This is a privately-organized event (usually by the Circuit Party honcho Jeffery Shanker). The park is closed and the party begins soon afterwards (this is a hard-ticket event separate from the regular park admission). There are usually two huge dance areas - under the big Sorcerer Hat and in the courtyard in between Tower of Terror and Rock 'N' Rollercoaster. This past June, Tower of Terror, Rock 'N' Rollercoaster, Star Tours, and the Great Movie Ride were operating continuously for all attendees during this event. Add to that a great fireworks show right above the Sorcerer Hat, and I can understand of what I've been told that this has become THE major circuit party event of the year.

While you're getting over your hangover, the next day (Sunday) is GayDays at Epcot. While the sea of red isn't as obvious as the day before, one can still notice it.

All in all, a very FESTIVE event. So, have I convinced anyone to attend?

Zz.

Last edited:
:rofl: :rofl:
Thanks, ZZ..I'll keep this in mind if I happen to be in the States at that time.

ZapperZ said:
OK, so this is a pitifull and shameless attempt at seducing members of PF of a certain persuasion <winks at arildno in particular> to come visit Walt Disney World (WDW).

Zz.
Did they invite Anita Bryant? :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Did they invite Anita Bryant? :biggrin:

No, because the part of Cruella DeVille has been cast.

<smacks Astronuc with a Pride flag>

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Hey Evo, Moonbie, and other PF'ers who might be interested,

Here's ANOTHER reason to really consider going to WDW right at the 1st week of January: the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/osborn_lights.htm

It will only be on till Jan 2nd. So if we fly in on the 1st, we'd be in time to catch the last of this and other holiday decorations.

This would be fun, yes?

Zz.
Yes it would! (can't wait to find out if she won a pin)

ZapperZ said:
<smacks Astronuc with a Pride flag>
:eek: Uh oh! Maybe the wedding plans were a bit premature? :cry:

Moonbear said:

Oh no! I've been dumped again!

As Buggs Bunny used to say "Boo hoo hoo! Always a bridesmaid but never a bride!"

And Ms. Evo will have to wait till Sunday to know if she's won a pin... :)

Zz.

Moonbear said:
Don't know about that. At least, Zz hasn't started smacking people with his handbag yet, anyway..

arildno said:
Don't know about that. At least, Zz hasn't started smacking people with his handbag yet, anyway..

Oh no! I would never do that! It's hard to replace a good handbag especially when I have it all color-coordinated with my shoes!

[ZapperZ runs away screaming in horror]

Zz.

Disney is going for the jugular on the cute factor.

Remember that Dumbo pin for a week ago? So here's another one. This pin is part of the Happiest Pin Celebration event at Epcot. I did put a request to buy this pin - three of them (how could I resist?) - and got all three. So I will be picking them up when I show up for the event.

Maybe I'll use one as a giveaway for a Disney trivia on here! :)

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Oh no! I would never do that! It's hard to replace a good handbag especially when I have it all color-coordinated with my shoes!

[ZapperZ runs away screaming in horror]

Zz.
How about smacking people with shoes?

Lisa! said:
How about smacking people with shoes?

Humm... now why didn't I think of that before? A good smack on the face with one of those high-heel pumps could put out an eye or two!

Well done, Lisa!

Zz.

Oh man! It appears that the Haunted Mansion at Tokyo Disneyland is again getting a very cool treatement!

http://laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=552

I'm jealous that I can't be on it.

Zz.