Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #3,151
That's a really adorable Thanksgiving pin. :approve:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,152
Disney has certainly corrupted my brain. This http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3534960/Disney-accused-by-Catholic-cleric-of-corrupting-childrens-minds.html" ! :)

Case in point. I'm reading an innocent article on a work related to the http://www.aps.org/about/physics-images/network.cfm" . It had a nice graphic to illustrate the complex structure of an economic system. No Disney-related stuff, right?

In the eyes of most ordinary people, that would be true. But what did I do with my corrupted mind? I said to myself "Oh my! I think there are Hidden Mickeys in here!", and spent the next several minutes looking for them (I found at least 3).

:)

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,153
ZapperZ said:
Disney has certainly corrupted my brain. This http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3534960/Disney-accused-by-Catholic-cleric-of-corrupting-childrens-minds.html" ! :)

Case in point. I'm reading an innocent article on a work related to the http://www.aps.org/about/physics-images/network.cfm" . It had a nice graphic to illustrate the complex structure of an economic system. No Disney-related stuff, right?

In the eyes of most ordinary people, that would be true. But what did I do with my corrupted mind? I said to myself "Oh my! I think there are Hidden Mickeys in here!", and spent the next several minutes looking for them (I found at least 3).

Zz.

:rofl:

This is the time of year when I especially love Disney. Cartoons and Christmas just seem to go well together for me...both bring out my inner child. :approve: I was poking around the Disney store, and found an absolutely adorable snow globe that's part of a bigger scene, but even the sale price is beyond my budget for Christmas decorations. The details are amazing. It seems they've found a way to incorporate almost every character into it...Chip and Dale are hanging out on one side, and even Cinderella's mice are on a ribbon on the other side of the tree. It's so adorable. Maybe there will be some left and at a better sale price after Christmas.

• #3,154
Moonbear said:
:rofl:

This is the time of year when I especially love Disney. Cartoons and Christmas just seem to go well together for me...both bring out my inner child. :approve: I was poking around the Disney store, and found an absolutely adorable snow globe that's part of a bigger scene, but even the sale price is beyond my budget for Christmas decorations. The details are amazing. It seems they've found a way to incorporate almost every character into it...Chip and Dale are hanging out on one side, and even Cinderella's mice are on a ribbon on the other side of the tree. It's so adorable. Maybe there will be some left and at a better sale price after Christmas.

Hum... I have to go look at that. I haven't been to a Disney Store yet this holiday season. And we got mailings to notify us that Passholders can get 15% discount at the Disney Stores this season until Dec. 15. So our annual passes are actually useful even away from the parks.

So how much was the snow globe? :)

Zz.

• #3,155
Please help!

I participate in a photo contest in Disney fan forum, and this week, the theme is "Disney Mountains". I think I narrowed my photos to these two, but I cannot make up my mind which one to use. Each of the photo has its good points and bad points from my perspective. I can't make up my mind!

So, maybe you can vote on which one I should use. They are both on Expedition Everest attraction.

test-far.jpg

test-near.jpg

Zz.

• #3,156
ZapperZ said:
Hum... I have to go look at that. I haven't been to a Disney Store yet this holiday season. And we got mailings to notify us that Passholders can get 15% discount at the Disney Stores this season until Dec. 15. So our annual passes are actually useful even away from the parks.

So how much was the snow globe? :)

Zz.

I know I'm being an enabler here, but...:biggrin:

Here's the link to it. http://disneyshopping.go.com/disney/store/Product_10002_10051_1238721_-1_14857__Snowglobes-Holiday-World-of-Disney-Snowglobe

$74 is a bit much for a snow globe though. Even at 15% off the sale price, it's a bit spendy. Though, from the photos, the detail seems amazing. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on Inge-glas ornaments (my other Christmas guilty pleasure), I might have considered it.

• #3,157
ZapperZ said:
Please help!

I participate in a photo contest in Disney fan forum, and this week, the theme is "Disney Mountains". I think I narrowed my photos to these two, but I cannot make up my mind which one to use. Each of the photo has its good points and bad points from my perspective. I can't make up my mind!

So, maybe you can vote on which one I should use. They are both on Expedition Everest attraction.

test-far.jpg

test-near.jpg

Zz.

I like the top one better. There's more in the scene, including the reflection in the water.

I really need to find time to get to Disney again! The opportunity to buy a house is just too good right now, though, so I'm saving every penny for that. Once I've secured my downpayment and have time to save up some money again after that, I'll be able to consider Disney again.

• #3,158
Moonbear said:
I know I'm being an enabler here, but...:biggrin:

Here's the link to it. http://disneyshopping.go.com/disney/store/Product_10002_10051_1238721_-1_14857__Snowglobes-Holiday-World-of-Disney-Snowglobe

$74 is a bit much for a snow globe though. Even at 15% off the sale price, it's a bit spendy. Though, from the photos, the detail seems amazing. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on Inge-glas ornaments (my other Christmas guilty pleasure), I might have considered it.

Oh, I have seen that one. Didn't know that this was the same one they had at the Disney Stores. I was THIS close from getting that. Not sure what stopped me... OH WAIT, I remember now - NO MORE ROOM FOR STORAGE!

Zz.

• #3,159
ZapperZ said:
NO MORE ROOM FOR STORAGE!

:rofl: Time to move to a bigger house. :biggrin:

• #3,160
I think the first picture is the best as well. I just think that you needed to put the camera on something stable so it doesn't have camera shake blur, but it's composition is nicer than the close up of the mountain.

• #3,161
~christina~ said:
I think the first picture is the best as well. I just think that you needed to put the camera on something stable so it doesn't have camera shake blur, but it's composition is nicer than the close up of the mountain.

Er... the camera was on a tripod (with a 2 second delay) when both picture was taken.

It looks like the first picture seems to have a unanimous consensus. So baring last minute problems, I'll use it. The only thing that can make me change my mind is that, so far, most of the entries for the contest are pictures of the Expedition Everest attraction, with a few sprinkling of Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction. It will be hard to stand out when too many people enter the same type of picture.

I need to be different! :)

Zz.

• #3,162
Hey Moonbie, remember this?

rAleGzqdku4[/youtube] I'll be there in a week! :) Zz.

• #3,163
Today is Walt Disney's birthday.

But what is more fascinating is the further evidence that Disney and Physics DO mix well! :)

It appears that Walt Disney and Werner Heisenberg http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/12/dayintech_1205" . They have many similarities in their lives, two of which are that they were both born on the same day, and they won a major award in the same year!

Add to the fact that Enrico Fermi used to https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1084492&postcount=2492", why I'm surprised that a course in Disney history is not a requirement for all physics majors!

Zz.

• #3,164
ZapperZ said:
Er... the camera was on a tripod (with a 2 second delay) when both picture was taken.
Zz.

:rolleyes: um..it may be the file compression then. It doesn't look as sharp as the bottom picture on the forum. :blushing:

• #3,165
Greetings from the Most Magical Place on Earth!

Epcot is decorated to the hilt for the holiday festivities.

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Zz.

• #3,166
The blues and greens are very vibrant. Usuaullly the blue lights you see on homes are so dull.

The fireworks remind me of a lightning storm.

• #3,167
Pictures from Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party last night. It was a spectacular event!

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

Zz.

• #3,168
As Moonbear can testify, we missed seeing the gingerbread house by one day at the Grand Floridian last time we were here at this time of the year. But not this year!

This is the infamous, and huge, gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian.
IMG_3710.jpg

It is even more impressive to see in person. It is so big, they have a shop in there that sells gingerbread cookies, and stuff!

Zz.

• #3,169
Wow! :bugeye:

I know where I'm going for Christmas next year... :biggrin:

Any new pins to share with us Zz?

• #3,170
*claps* I LOVE those pictures! Especially Cinderella's castle and the lake. (faint)

Awesome job taking those photos Zz!

• #3,171
Beautiful pics Zz!

• #3,172
Pictures from the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights from last night. I have plenty of video footage on this, which I will upload after I get back home (then you will see what is meant by the "dancing" part). Till then, here are some stills:

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

Zz.

• #3,173
Seasons Greetings, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, and a Wonderful and Magical New Year!

IMG_4201.jpg

Zz.

• #3,174
This is the video of one of the "dancing lights" that I took this past December of the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World. Of course, no picture of video can do it justice. It is more jaw-dropping to see it in person.

Vsi_6fGX1EU[/youtube] Zz.

• #3,175
News Math and Disney make entertainment

Who says Math and Disney (and also physics) do not mix?

http://media.www.thejackonline.org/media/storage/paper1142/news/2009/02/11/News/Math-And.Disney.Make.Entertainment-3620209.shtml

An Academy Award winner, DeRose discussed what earned him the award for his implementation of subdivision surfaces. Subdivision software is what makes the computer graphics in films like "Toy Story 2" and "Finding Nemo" so smooth, instead of the blocky models used in earlier films like the first "Toy Story."

During a lecture on wavelets and its applications to imaging, DeRose explained how wavelets enable the user to compress information by cutting out unnecessary details. In effect, less memory is used and not much detail is sacrificed for the sake of space. The ability to use wavelets to compress images without losing much detail in the process, can be applied to nearly all forms of communication, shortening the time to send large files.

Zz.

• #3,176
Instruction video on how to make the peanut butter and jelly milk shake that is served at the 50s Prime Time Cafe at Disney's Hollywood Studios

j_j7Ea5vE6E[/youtube] Zz.

• #3,177
A rat in a restaurant? Why not if it is a french restaurant!

Remy makes his appearance at Chefs de France at Epcot's World Showcase.

3np-ToDshtw[/youtube] Zz.

• #3,178
Review of http://www.stitchkingdom.com/exclusive/earth/" , which will open this Wednesday, April 22.

Note that Disney will plant a tree for every person who sees the movie during its opening week. If you buy advance ticket to it via Fandango, you'll receive a http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/04/08/buy-tickets-online-to-disneynatures-earth-and-get-a-free-re-useable-disney-shopping-bag/" from a Disney Store.

More about http://disney.go.com/disneynature/earth/".

Zz.

• #3,180
Some time, on a small number of occasions, the stars align, and both of my passion, physics and Disney, come together.

This is what happened in this article on the http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10249396-52.html" various parts of the upcoming Disney/Pixar movie "Up".

May said that the animation department at Pixar never even considered hand-animating the balloons. But even standard computer animation wouldn't be up to the task, because of the N-squared complexity involved in the thousands of interdependent balloons. Instead, the studio's computer whizzes figured out a way to turn the problem over to a programmed physical simulator, which, employing Newtonian physics, was able to address the animation problem.

Up opens this Friday in the US. It already has received such glowing reviews ever since it had its world premier at Cannes last week, becoming the first animation and first 3D movie to be given the prestigious position to open the festival.

Zz.

• #3,181
Tragedy struck the Disney family this morning. A monorail collision at Walt Disney World killed one monorail pilot.

http://cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/7/5/monorail_crash_at_epcot_kills_driver.html

I just got back last July 1st from there, and we rode in the front car one time as we normally try to do at least once on every trip. With all the safety mechanisms they have, it is puzzling how such an accident could have happened.

While this accident happened on the Epcot line, Disney has shut down the whole monorail system for a system wide review. There are also speculation that Disney will no longer allow guests to sit in the front car with the monorail pilot once they get the monorail running again. It would be sad if this become a permanent policy.

I have pointed to this video before, but due to the current tragic circumstance, I'm going to mention this video again as a tribute not only to the monorail pilot, but also to all of the monorail pilots that have enhanced our trip to WDW each time we were able to sit in the front car.

Zz.

• #3,182
I saw that in the news this morning too. When is the last time (if ever) that they've done a complete overhaul of the monorail system? With the number of passengers every day, and the number of trips every day, and the number of years it's been in service, even with regular inspections, parts are bound to fail. It may be time for them to have an extended service downtime to overhaul all the safety systems. I also think they're overdue for a makeover too...when it first came out, the monorail was very futuristic, but now it's rather dated looking, and seems the same as what you find in many airports. They need to think up some way to make it at least appear modern, if not futuristic again.

• #3,183
Moonbear said:
I saw that in the news this morning too. When is the last time (if ever) that they've done a complete overhaul of the monorail system? With the number of passengers every day, and the number of trips every day, and the number of years it's been in service, even with regular inspections, parts are bound to fail. It may be time for them to have an extended service downtime to overhaul all the safety systems. I also think they're overdue for a makeover too...when it first came out, the monorail was very futuristic, but now it's rather dated looking, and seems the same as what you find in many airports. They need to think up some way to make it at least appear modern, if not futuristic again.

Actually, the monorail vehicles themselves are quite new. They have continually upgraded the monorail with new vehicles. The current one is called Mach 5. In fact, there are also newer vehicles that are slowing replacing the current version.

There are tons of speculation going on regarding this accident. The most likely scenario is that the monorail pilot overrode the safety mechanism that would have caused the automatic breaks to kick in. He likely did not see the pink monorail that stopped way short of the station due to a mechanical problem as he made the turn into the station at Futureworld. If this is what happened, the question then is why he turned on the override.

Zz.

• #3,184
In the "Fly Me Away" photo contest (polling started this weekend), I entered a picture that I took while I was high up in the air during a parasailing activity. This was taken at Bay Lake at Walt Disney World.

I also had pictures taken of me while I was up in the air, which of course I could not use for our weekly contest since I didn't take 'em. But I can certainly show them here. So here they are! It was quite a rough weather, because they closed the ride as soon as they reeled me in due to the impending storm. I certainly was tossed around while I was up there, which made the activity a bit more "interesting".

So here are pictures of me dangling several hundred feet above Bay Lake.
img9243d.jpg

img9241t.jpg

It looks pretty high, doesn't it?
img9234.jpg

img9229m.jpg

img9221.jpg

img9217g.jpg

The wind was also picking up, and I was jostled around quite a bit up there. You can sense it a little bit by looking at this picture and how tilted I was at this point.
img9245.jpg

They're reeling me back down after they got word that the ride is shut down.
img9249f.jpg

It was a wonderful experience, and I would certainly do it again. But next time, I would hope that it will be in calmer weather.

Zz.

• #3,185
How cool is that! Sounds like a blast.