[Discrete Math] Relations, (R subset S) / (R Intersects S)

In summary: I think what you're saying is that the relation R U S is reflexive, but that it doesn't hold for every x in X. This is because the relation R U S is the intersection of R and S, and x can be in either R or S but not both.
Servo888
Ok; this is another thread that covers two questions. I didn't want to mix them with my previous post; it's from the same 'section' but the questions are different. If any mods have issues with this, please say so.

1) If [tex]R \cup S[/tex] is reflexive, then either R is reflexive or S is reflexive.

* I see this as false; If there's some (x,x) such that xRx in R, then since R is in [tex]R \cup S[/tex] that relation must also be in S. So they would both have to be reflexive. My question, I don't think this is enough of an explanation; and I don't even know if it's right. If anybody could help me out, that would be great.

2) If [tex]R \cap S[/tex] is reflexive, then both R is reflexive and S is reflexive.

* True, since your talking about the intersection of R and S. If x is related to x in R, then this must also hold true for S since x would also be an element in S, and therefore related to x. I think I'm hitting something close to the answer... But I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Servo888 said:
Ok; this is another thread that covers two questions. I didn't want to mix them with my previous post; it's from the same 'section' but the questions are different. If any mods have issues with this, please say so.

1) If [tex]R \cup S[/tex] is reflexive, then either R is reflexive or S is reflexive.

* I see this as false; If there's some (x,x) such that xRx in R, then since R is in [tex]R \cup S[/tex] that relation must also be in S. So they would both have to be reflexive. My question, I don't think this is enough of an explanation; and I don't even know if it's right. If anybody could help me out, that would be great.

You might consider giving a counter-example: Suppose X= {a, b, c}. Can you think of relations R and S on X that are not reflexive but such that [tex]R \cup S[/tex] is?

2) If [tex]R \cap S[/tex] is reflexive, then both R is reflexive and S is reflexive.

* True, since your talking about the intersection of R and S. If x is related to x in R, then this must also hold true for S since x would also be an element in S, and therefore related to x. I think I'm hitting something close to the answer... But I'm not sure.
Yes, a pair (x,x) is in [tex]R \cap S[/tex] then it must be in both R and S.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You might consider giving a counter-example: Suppose X= {a, b, c}. Can you think of relations R and S on X that are not reflexive but such that [tex]R \cup S[/tex] is?

No real clue to what you mean... (hehe sorry, mathematics is not my strong side). I understand your looking for a relation R and S, from the set X with the elements a,b,c that are NOT reflexive, "but such that [tex]R \cup S[/tex] is", is where I draw a blank.

[EDIT] What would a reflexive relation of [tex]R \cup S[/tex] be? aRa?

A binary relation R on a set X is just a set of ordered pairs whose terms are members of X, i.e., R is a subset of X2. If R and S are sets of ordered pairs, their union (and nonempty intersection) is also a set of ordered pairs a.k.a. a binary relation. If you write xRx, you would also write xRuSx.

1) To construct your counterexample, you can assume that RuS is reflexive and try to make both R and S fail to be reflexive -- while still keeping RuS reflexive. For R to fail to be reflexive, there must exist some x in X such that (x, x) is not in R, right? Same for S. Say there does exist some x in X such that (x, x) is not in R. Can't (x, x) still be in RuS as long as (x, x) is in S?

Last edited:
Solution

R = {(2,2),(3,3)}, S = {(1,1)}, X = {1,2,3}
R = not reflexive, S = not reflexive
R U S is reflexive =-).

That was tricky.

1. What is a relation in discrete math?

A relation in discrete math is a set of ordered pairs that relates elements from one set to elements in another set. It represents a relationship between the elements of the two sets.

2. What is the meaning of (R subset S) / (R Intersects S)?

(R subset S) / (R Intersects S) means that the relation R is a subset of the relation S, and there is at least one common element in both R and S. This can also be interpreted as the intersection of R and S.

3. How is a relation represented in discrete math?

A relation can be represented using a table, a graph, or an arrow diagram. In a table, the first column represents the elements of the first set, and the second column represents the elements of the second set. In a graph, the elements of the first set are represented on the x-axis, and the elements of the second set are represented on the y-axis. In an arrow diagram, the elements of the first set are represented as arrows pointing to the elements in the second set.

4. What is the difference between a relation and a function in discrete math?

A relation can have multiple outputs for a given input, while a function can only have one output for a given input. In other words, a function is a special type of relation where each input has exactly one output.

5. How are relations used in real life?

Relations are used in real life to model relationships between different sets of data. For example, in social networks, relations can represent friendships between individuals. In transportation systems, relations can represent connections between different cities or routes. In computer science, relations are used to represent databases and their relationships between tables.