Relations on Sets: Need help understanding a mistake

In summary, the homework statement is that transitive relations are required for the existence of a subset.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Suppose ##R## and ##S## are relations on a set ##A##.

If ##R## and ##S## are transitive, is ##R \cup S## transitive? Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that ##a## is an arbitrarily but particularly picked element of ##R \cup S##, then
$$a \in R \ \text{or} \ a \in S$$
By division into cases, suppose ##a \in R##,
Suppose ##b,c## are elements of ##R##, such that ##(a, b) \in R## and ##(b,c) \in R##
By definition of ##R##, ##(a,c) \in R##

I then carried out the exact same steps for the case ##a \in S## and concluded that ##R \cup S## is transitive.

However, I also managed to find a counter example by defining ##A = \{ a,b,c \}##, ##R = \{ (a,b) \}##, ##S = \{ (b,c) \}##, ##R \cup S = \{ (a,b) , (b,c) \}##. The fact that ##b \in R \cap S## suggests to me that my division into cases wasn't done right, but aren't my steps analogous to the division into cases seen in problems with statement variables?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
Suppose that ##a## is an arbitrarily but particularly picked element of ##R \cup S##, then
$$a \in R \ \text{or} \ a \in S$$
By division into cases, suppose ##a \in R##,
Suppose ##b,c## are elements of ##R##, such that ##(a, b) \in R## and ##(b,c) \in R##
By definition of ##R##, ##(a,c) \in R##

Just because ##a \in R## doesn't allow you to restrict yourself to ##R## for any remaining arbitrary elements of ##R \cup S##.

I'm not familiar enough with the specific material to help further, but aren't relations a subset of the Cartesian product of a set with itself?

PS Your counterexample is valid. Your proof is invalid because a) it treats relations as subset of ##A##; and b) the mistake that without loss of generality you can take all elements to be in ##R##.

Likes WWCY
WWCY said:
If ##R## and ##S## are transitive, is ##R \cup S## transitive? Why?
If ##(x,y)\in R\cup S## then it is in either of them, say in ##R##. Then for any ##a\in A## we find a path ##(x,y) \sim \ldots \sim (z,a)## in ##R \subseteq R\cup S##.

Likes WWCY

1. What are relations on sets?

Relations on sets refer to the connections or associations between elements of two sets. They are used to describe how elements from one set relate to elements in another set.

2. How are relations represented?

Relations can be represented in different ways, such as using arrows, tables, graphs, or ordered pairs. These representations help us understand the connections between elements of the sets.

3. What is a common mistake when understanding relations on sets?

A common mistake is to confuse a relation with a function. While a function is a special type of relation that maps each element in one set to exactly one element in another set, a relation can map an element in one set to multiple elements in another set.

4. How do relations on sets help us in mathematics?

Relations on sets are used in various branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and graph theory. They help us establish connections between different mathematical concepts and solve problems by identifying patterns and dependencies between sets.

5. Can you give an example of a relation on sets?

One example of a relation on sets is the "greater than" relation between the set of integers and the set of natural numbers. This relation indicates that for any two elements x and y, if x is greater than y, then we say (x,y) is an ordered pair in the relation. For example, (5,3) is an ordered pair in this relation, as 5 is greater than 3.