What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
Evo said:
The lentils with beef sounds good, I could see using short ribs, but nix on the curry and hot sauce. Lentils are so tasty on their own that it's a sin to cover their flavor up. My favorite way of preparing them is with a bit of salt and garlic, nothing else.
I'll concede the lentils seasoned with salt and garlic. Can I add the curry and hot sauce after serving? :biggrin:

I have a thing for Mongolian beef and I'll like it spicy.

I find my taste in food returning to simple dishes that focus on the flavor of a main ingredient without a lot of spices. Like shrimp scampi - shrimp, butter, garlic and lemon. I think I could eat that every day and never tire of it. Of course Alaskan King crab legs with melted butter, lemon and garlic also artichokes the same way. <sigh>
I made shrimp scampi and penne in a garlic sauce the other night. It was great!

I also like shrimp and scallops in a creamy garlic sauce.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have a good, and I mean GOOD, Bloody Mary mix recipe? I've looked online and there are several, but obviously, there's no way for me to judge whether they are good or not. I prefer a mix that is slightly thicker, rather than runny/watery. I've seen somewhere a recipe in which they pureed celery and chunks of tomatoes before blending in the tomato juice. I would think that would create a thicker mix, but I don't have that recipe. The level of heat in the mix is not that important since I can easily add more hot sauce/tobascco to it.

Or if you know of a ready-made mix that I can get my hands on, that would be good too.

Zz.

The best way is to experiment. Start with that pureed tomato/celery idea, measure the product and write down quantities of tomato/celery it took to make that, then add tomato juice or V-8 until you get to the right consistency, (note the quantity of juice needed), season to taste, and you're all set. You'll end up with a better recipe than most that you'll find on-line, and you'll get a feel for where you need to make adjustments to make it perfect. I like shredded horseradish in Bloody Marys - something you could try adding before you puree the initial ingredients.

ZapperZ said:
Does anyone have a good, and I mean GOOD, Bloody Mary mix recipe? I've looked online and there are several, but obviously, there's no way for me to judge whether they are good or not. I prefer a mix that is slightly thicker, rather than runny/watery. I've seen somewhere a recipe in which they pureed celery and chunks of tomatoes before blending in the tomato juice. I would think that would create a thicker mix, but I don't have that recipe. The level of heat in the mix is not that important since I can easily add more hot sauce/tobascco to it.

Or if you know of a ready-made mix that I can get my hands on, that would be good too.

Zz.
See if you can find Del Monte's Snap-E-Tom Tomato & Chili Cocktail
http://www9.delmonte.com/foodservice/Products.asp?cat=beverages&Sub=8

It might be in specialty sections of larger grocery stores.

If not at the local store, apparently one can order it online.
Or order it on-line: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/in...3867/Snap_E_Tom_Tomato_and_Chili_Cocktail.htm

Or go with turbo's recommendation.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
I hope someone posts a good one, I love Bloody Marys. Probably one of the best is the mix they use at Red Lobster, of all places.

Basic ingredients you'll need are Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, beef consomme or bouillon, horseradish, celery or celery salt, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice.

I'm going to do some searching and I think I'll do some experimenting tonight.

Zz, I was looking for a thick concentrated tomato juice and this might work as a base, then add other seasonings to tase.

"TABASCO® brand Bloody Mary Mix is great-tasting, spirited or straight. And it's the only Bloody Mary Mix with the distinctive kick of TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce. Fashioned after the original Bloody Mary recipe created at Harry's New York Bar in Paris, it's made from all-natural ingredients - lime juice, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, extra thick concentrated tomato juice and TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce."

A bit of granulated or paste beef bouillion is a must, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Emeril had a show where he made a homemade bloody mary. At least while he was making it, it looked good, and seemed thick. That recipe might be on the Food Network website.

Was it his Cajun Bloody Mary?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27572,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Was it his Cajun Bloody Mary?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27572,00.html

Yep, that was it. What made it "cajun" is the addition of "Essence", using a vodka infused with chili peppers (looked really good, actually...I might have to give that a try sometime), and garnishing with pickled okra. Otherwise, it sounded pretty standard (he was very particular about adding FRESH grated horseradish, not the stuff from a jar). On the show, he also suggested making the mix a day ahead so all the flavors could infuse together before drinking. So, even though the online recipe just says to chill for about 3 hours, in the show, he was pretty much saying to leave it longer (and the vodka needs to be infused well in advance). It was definitely something that required planning ahead, not just tossing stuff together the day of your party, but looked really well worth it.

Actually, it sounds pretty good, and I've got plenty of hot relishes, pickles, etc that could spice it up a bit more. Some of the juice from my habanero relish (sweet/spicy with a potent delayed burn) could be just the thing.

My wife and I had my father as a dinner guest today, as we await the forecast pounding from the remnants of Noel. The rain is heavy, and since many trees have not dropped their leaves, if the wind plays out according to plan, trees and branches will be falling tonight. I filled 5 2-1/2 gallon gas cans today, and fueled and fired up the generator to make sure that we're prepared for an outage. We are on a sparsely-populated back road and are routinely among the last to get power back during wide-spread outages. So if my PC should go dead during this post

OK, just kidding!

Anyway, the meal was New England baked beans (not too sweet and made with Black Turtle Beans and lots of yellow onions), cole slaw, flaky mile-high pastry biscuits, fried Applegate Farms organic ballpark hot dogs with fried onion, rolls and all kinds of relishes, pickles and mustards. To dress the hot dog in rolls with onions, I had to stick with my new favorite condiment combo - habanero relish and old-fashioned yellow mustard.

Dad is coming down to our place for Thanksgiving again this year, and thanks to an episode on the "Juicy Meats" DVD (one of a set of three "Good Eats" DVDs Zz offered as a prize in his food and wine photo competition), my wife has decided that she will brine our locally-raised turkey in a sweet and salty brine, and oven-roast it. I have been cooking hickory-smoked turkeys on my charcoal-fired smoker for the past 15 years or so, but we will forgo the wonderful smoky carcass (for soup-stock) this year to see if Brown's method is any good. If I haven't tagged a deer by Thanksgiving (the weather certainly isn't cooperating), freedom from the smoker will give me part of an extra day to hunt. Mmm! Venison!

I like black bread with a piece of cheese :smile:

We had left-over baked beans for supper tonight, and as a conservation effort, I refrained from putting habanero relish on my hot dog roll. Instead I loaded it with "clean-up" chili relish and mustard, and with the volume of fried onions involved, the roll split and was hard to eat neatly. The burn is very different from habanero relish (more up-front and less delayed), but the "clean-up" relish has a very nice flavor. I made it from the green jalapenos, the green super chilies, and the remaining habaneros that were present when I pulled my pepper plants at the end of the season. This fall, my wife and I have been concentrating on eating the various chili relishes, and we may cut back on the production of tomato-based hot salsas next season to concentrate on the chilies.

Does anyone have any really special, super-fantastic venison recipes? Not just the usual substitute venison for beef in a stew type recipes, but something that will really highlight the venison? It's bow season (I think...or very close) and soon will be regular hunting season for deer here (the Monday before Thanksgiving), and I want some way to tempt some of my friends who hunt to part ways with a bit of venison (i.e., if they provide the venison, I'll cook up something really superb for US with it :wink:). :biggrin:

Rats, my deer killer here at the office is off for a week on a deer killing spree. He has recipes to die for.

Moonbear said:
Thanks. Mmm...venison vindaloo sounds good...none of those recipes looked like they'd convince someone to part with tenderloin, but look like they'd be good with some of the tougher cuts that need to cook longer. Yummy!
Tenderloin?! :eek: There's only one way to prepare that. Patted with crushed black pepper and salt and seared in butter in a pre-heated cast-iron frying pan. If I gave somebody venison tenderloin and they served it in a dish with cheese or cream sauces, that's the last piece of tenderloin they'd get - neck roasts only in the future.

Mmmm, tenderloin in a cheesey cream sauce. :!)

Evo said:
Mmmm, tenderloin in a cheesey cream sauce. :!)
:yuck:You are hereby forbidden to possesses venison in any form. Not even a neck roast. :grumpy:

Not even if I include some morel mushrooms in the sauce? :cry:

Evo said:
Not even if I include some morel mushrooms in the sauce? :cry:
ESPECIALLY if you put morels in the sauce. Venison tenderloin is to be savored in pan-fried purity, not covered up with frou-frou sauces.

Well, my deer are free spirits, they want to go down in style.

I can't wait to get more of that jalapeno cheddar cheese deer sausage. YUM!

:frown:

He uses a great butcher that processes the sausage.

turbo-1 said:
Tenderloin?! :eek: There's only one way to prepare that. Patted with crushed black pepper and salt and seared in butter in a pre-heated cast-iron frying pan. If I gave somebody venison tenderloin and they served it in a dish with cheese or cream sauces, that's the last piece of tenderloin they'd get - neck roasts only in the future.

I had an absolutely DELICIOUS tenderloin in a madeira wine and mushroom cream sauce. Don't knock it until you've tried it. But, that recipe is already claimed.

Moonbear said:
I had an absolutely DELICIOUS tenderloin in a madeira wine and mushroom cream sauce. Don't knock it until you've tried it. But, that recipe is already claimed.
My point is that rump roast, neck roast, shoulder, etc can be tenderized and coddled to the point where they are very nice in composite dishes. They are actually tastier cuts of venison, too and can stand up well to frou-frou sauce abuse better than tenderloins. Venison tenderloin is the Food of the Gods, very tender, with a sweet delicate flavor that deserves to stand on its own. The deer should be hung and aged properly, and the aged tenderloins should be shared fresh with friends and family. They will tolerate freezing OK, but the flavor is just not the same, so spread the joy. Serve it up pan-fried with a side of home-fried potatoes, leftover baked beans and pan-fried leftover pastry biscuits (use REAL butter). :tongue2: I'm not a venison purist, and will gladly use various cuts for stews, chilies, hamburg dishes, sausages - just about anything you can think of. Just keep your paws off the T-loins! :grumpy:

turbo-1 said:
My point is that rump roast, neck roast, shoulder, etc can be tenderized and coddled to the point where they are very nice in composite dishes. They are actually tastier cuts of venison, too and can stand up well to frou-frou sauce abuse better than tenderloins. Venison tenderloin is the Food of the Gods, very tender, with a sweet delicate flavor that deserves to stand on its own. The deer should be hung and aged properly, and the aged tenderloins should be shared fresh with friends and family. They will tolerate freezing OK, but the flavor is just not the same, so spread the joy. Serve it up pan-fried with a side of home-fried potatoes, leftover baked beans and pan-fried leftover pastry biscuits (use REAL butter). :tongue2: I'm not a venison purist, and will gladly use various cuts for stews, chilies, hamburg dishes, sausages - just about anything you can think of. Just keep your paws off the T-loins! :grumpy:

There's no "abuse" of a sauce. They're not being boiled in the sauce, the sauce is just added at the very last stage of cooking and relies on the meat being tender already. A good sauce isn't meant to drown the meat, even if that's the mistake a lot of people make.

Now that the holiday season is here, perhaps some of the more sweets-oriented members could make some hand-dipped chocolates for the Sisters. Some suggestions:

I think turbo is maybe saying that, (maybe from a different perspective)--like having the finest chocolate ever made --covered with Smucker's jelly

rewebster said:
I think turbo is maybe saying that, (maybe from a different perspective)--like having the finest chocolate ever made --covered with Smucker's jelly
That would'nt be too bad. You just lick off the jelly.

What is gross and unacceptable is putting fruit or sweet stuff on meat. <shudder>

Meat + sweet = not good to eat

The one exception is The Panda Express' Orange sesame chicken, it doesn't taste sweet.

Last edited:
Evo said:

What is gross and unacceptable is putting fruit or sweet stuff on meat. <shudder>

The one exception is The Panda Express' Orange sesame chicken, it doesn't taste sweet.

And don't forget to add orange to your BBQ sauce.

Evo said:

What?! No pineapple slices on glazed roast ham?

I'm glad my grandmother is not around to hear of this travesty! Mmm! She would score the outside of the ham in a cris-cross manner with a knife sink a whole clove into each square before applying the glaze. Yum.

turbo-1 said:
What?! No pineapple slices on glazed roast ham?

I'm glad my grandmother is not around to hear of this travesty! Mmm! She would score the outside of the ham in a cris-cross manner with a knife sink a whole clove into each square before applying the glaze. Yum.
AAAARGGGHH! CLOVES! Those are tooth medicine from the dark ages!

I won't even let cloves into my house.

When I was teething, my mother would rub clove oil on my gums and it would burn and gag me. Ever since, the slighest hint of clove makes me want to puke.

This reminds me of foods twisting_edge and I can't agree on.

Eggplant
Me- manna from heaven
twisting_edge - cardboard beer coasters

Blue Cheese
me- yummy
twisting _edge - vomit in solid form

cloves
me- work of the devil
twisting_edge - delightful spice

Last edited:
Evo said:

Moose in cloudberry sauce, or duck in raspberry and/or blackberry sauce is simply excellent. It's certainly better if the berries are a little tart.

How about turkey and cranberry sauce?

Ham and chicken with a nice citrus glass is good. Lemon or orange chicken - but not too sweet.

Now some folks do make fruit/berry based sauces too sweet, and I would agree sweet sauces and most meats just don't belong on the same plate.

Evo said:
When I was teething, my mother would rub clove oil on my gums and it would burn and gag me. Ever since, the slighest hint of clove makes me want to puke.
Well - that's an unfortunate association based on an unpleasant experience.

I'm with T_E on eggplant and cloves. I do like bleu cheese with apples, though, and my wife's bleu cheese salad dressing is wonderful on a fresh garden salad.