Struggling with Solving Integral of arcsin x: Seeking Help and Hints

• Thread starter agro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in solving the integral of arcsin x and the attempts made using integration by parts and various substitutions. A suggestion is made to try the substitution 1-x^2, which is then used to solve the integral and arrive at the final result of x*arcsin x + sqrt(1-x^2) + C. Another method using implicit differentiation and integration by parts is also suggested.
agro
I find it really hard to solve
[tex]\int\arcsin{x}\;dx[/tex]
I tried using integration by part with these values:
[tex]
\begin{array}{rl}
u=\arcsin{x},&dv=dx\\
du=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\;dx,&v=x\\
\end{array}
[/tex]
Which yields
[tex]
\begin{equationarray}
\int\arcsin{x}\;dx&=&x\arcsin{x}-\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\;dx
\end{equationarray}
[/tex]
After that I tried various substitutions/integration by parts but didn't get any simpler form... Can anyone help my desperate self :) (maybe hints...)

Thanks a lot beforehand...

Physics news on Phys.org
What substitutions did you try? There are at least two substitutions that work well here; one just screams "try me", and another is one of the techniques I think you've learned by now that is specifically for solving integrals that look like that...

Last edited:
Try the substitution [itex] 1 - x^2 [/itex].

Edit: Heh, guess I gave it away.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
Given: [tex] y=\arcsin x[/tex]

Take the sin of both sides of the equation yielding: [tex]\sin y=x[/tex]

Use implicit differentiation: [tex](\sin y)\frac{d}{dx}=(x)\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

to get: [tex](\cos y)dy=dx[/tex]

Stick the above into this: [tex]\int\arcsin{x}\;dx[/tex]

Substitute y, and (sin y)dy into your original equation: [tex]\int y\cos y\;dy[/tex]

Integrate by parts: [tex]y\sin y+\cos y+C[/tex]

Substitute x and arcsin x back into equation and replace cos y with the sqrt of 1- sin^2 y: [tex]x\arcsin x+\sqrt{1-sin^2y}+C[/tex]

Substitute x for sin y: [tex]x\arcsin x+\sqrt{1-x^2}+C[/tex]

Thus: [tex]\int\arcsin{x}\;dx=x\arcsin x+\sqrt{1-x^2}+C[/tex]

You do pretty much the same as above for the other inverse trig functions. Hope this helped.

You where going down the right path the way you chose to do it also. if you let u=1-x^2 then du would equal? Which could then be substituted back into get the same answer as above...

Ouch, I should've been able to see that (the u = 1-x^2 substitution) :). Btw your method is very interesting faust9.

Thanks all :)

Related to Struggling with Solving Integral of arcsin x: Seeking Help and Hints

What is the integral of arcsin x?

The integral of arcsin x is equal to x * arcsin x + sqrt(1 - x^2) + C, where C is a constant.

How do you solve the integral of arcsin x?

The integral of arcsin x can be solved using integration by parts or using substitution. First, rewrite the integral as ∫x * arcsin x * dx. Then, use integration by parts with u = x and dv = arcsin x * dx. Alternatively, substitute u = arcsin x and du = dx / sqrt(1 - x^2).

What is the domain of the integral of arcsin x?

The domain of the integral of arcsin x is [-1, 1]. This is because the range of arcsin x is also [-1, 1] and the integration cannot be performed outside the domain of the function.

Can the integral of arcsin x be solved using a calculator?

Yes, many scientific calculators have the ability to solve integrals. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the integral manually.

What are the applications of solving the integral of arcsin x?

The integral of arcsin x has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in calculating the surface area of a sphere, finding the center of mass of a semicircle, and determining the velocity of a falling object under the influence of gravity.