Can Elastic Collisions Be Solved Quickly with Minimal Steps?

• Thread starter rachelx46
  • Start date
In summary: So when you say \vec v=\vec x+\vec y, you are saying that the vector sum of the v's must be equal to the vector sum of the x's and the y's?Yes.
rachelx46
so apparently, this problem usually would require, many hours, and quite a few pages to write a proof for this, but today, i was shown a way to solve it in only a few mintues with only a few steps...

an object of mass m collides elastically with a second object of equal mass initially at rest. If the collision is a glancing collision, prove they separate at 90 degrees.

where m1 = mass of object 1, m2 =mass of object 2, v = velocity of m1, x = velocity after collision of object 1, y = velocity of object after collision.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6387/pyhsag3.png

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2593/phys2ul7.png

so then

1/2(m1)v² = 1/2(m1)x² + 1/2(m2)y²
cancel out and simplify
v² = x² + y²

would that be completely valid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rachelx46 said:
so apparently, this problem usually would require, many hours, and quite a few pages to write a proof for this, but today, i was shown a way to solve it in only a few mintues with only a few steps...an object of mass m collides elastically with a second object of equal mass initially at rest. If the collision is a glancing collision, prove they separate at 90 degrees.

where m1 = mass of object 1, m2 =mass of object 2, v = velocity of m1, x = velocity after collision of object 1, y = velocity of object after collision.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6387/pyhsag3.png

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2593/phys2ul7.png

so then

1/2(m1)v² = 1/2(m1)x² + 1/2(m2)y²
cancel out and simplify
v² = x² + y²
would that be completely valid?

Almost. You have to add the condition that [itex]\vec v = \vec x + \vec y[/itex], which is a consequence of conservation of momentum. Since this is a triangle and v² = x² + y², as you have shown, then the angle between [itex] \vec x \text{ and } \vec y[/itex] must be 90 degrees.

This is a very useful thing to know for pool players, who use this principle to determine where the cue ball will go.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Mason said:
Almost. You have to add the condition that [itex]\vec v = \vec x + \vec y[/itex], which is a consequence of conservation of momentum.
AM

Consrvation of momentum states that:
[tex]m_1\vec v=m_1\vec x + m_2\vec y[/tex]

So why is that your condition is true?

Because we are given that m1= m2?

Oh my bad... I am sorry, I missed that.

1. What is "Anyone heard of this?"

"Anyone heard of this?" is a common phrase used to ask if others have knowledge or information about a particular topic, idea, or product.

2. Is "Anyone heard of this?" a scientific term?

No, "Anyone heard of this?" is not a scientific term. It is simply a question used in everyday conversation to gather information or opinions from others.

3. Why do people use "Anyone heard of this?"

People use "Anyone heard of this?" to see if others have experience or knowledge about something they are interested in. It can also be used to start a conversation or gather opinions.

4. Can "Anyone heard of this?" be used in a research setting?

Yes, "Anyone heard of this?" can be used in a research setting as a starting point for discussions or to gather information from participants. However, it may not be considered a formal or scientific question.

5. How should I respond if someone asks me "Anyone heard of this?"

If you have knowledge or information about the topic, you can respond by sharing your thoughts or experiences. If you do not have any knowledge, you can simply say "no" or politely decline to answer.