Eclipsing binary problem im really frustrated

• Thread starter Soylentgreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with an eclipsing binary system and the frustration of finding the solutions. The conversation also includes details about the system, such as the period, luminosities, radius, and mass of the stars, as well as questions about their apparent and absolute magnitudes, separation, and distance. The conversation ends with the suggestion to make certain assumptions and get a new astronomy teacher.
Soylentgreen
Eclipsing binary problem! I am really frustrated!

I have been looking at this problem for a while and i am really getting frustrated. I asked my astronomy teacher, but we are both stumped. This isn't graded, but i really need to learn how to do it for science olympiad.

Here it is. I have an eclipsing binary system with a period of 1 year. Star Q has 800 solar luminosities, while the other star, star R, has 5 solar luminosities.
the radius of star R is 1,000,000 km, and it is .75 solar masses. Its apparent magnitude is 11.6.
It does not say whether or not the stars are main sequence.

a) what is the apparent magnitude of star R?
b) what is the separation of the two stars in km
c) what is the distance to the star system in parsecs.
d) what is the absolute magniude of star R.the answer for the above questions are as follows:
a) 5.8-6.3
b) 7-8x 10^9 km
c) 470-530 parsecs
d) 2.8-3.4

i have the answers but i don't know how to get to them and i have been trying for over an hour and a half. please help someone!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It looks like qustion 1 should be the apparent magnitude of star Q, not R. It also appears, based on the answer, that Q4 also is in reference to star Q. The first step is to deduce the absolute magnitude of R. This is easy. Since the luminosity of R is 5x solar, you merely subtract log[5] from the sun's absolute magnitude [4.8]. I get 4.1. Since you also know the apparent magnitude of R [11.6], the distance to R is also easily derived from the difference between absolute and apparent magnitudes [luminosity falls off with the square of the distance]. The absolute magnitude of star Q can then be rougly calculated [starting with the assumption it is roughly the same distance as R]. Knowing the mass of R and periodicity of the orbit you can apply Kepler's law to roughly figure to separation between the two stars. It does, however, require you to make certain assumptions about star Q, since virtually no information is provided other than luminosity. I would be inclined to assume both stars had similar mass-luminosity ratios, in which case the answer to question 2 looks like it is in the right ballpark.

cool. thanks for your help dude

I'd get a new astronomy teacher. As chronos pointed out the question is mainly to do with the equations concerning magnitudes and Kepler's laws.

1. What is an eclipsing binary problem?

An eclipsing binary problem is a phenomenon that occurs when two stars orbit each other in such a way that one periodically passes in front of the other, causing a decrease in the total amount of light observed from the system. This can make it difficult for scientists to accurately measure the properties of the stars, such as their size and mass.

2. How does an eclipsing binary problem affect scientific research?

Eclipsing binary problems can complicate scientific research as they can make it challenging to accurately measure and understand the properties of the stars involved. This can impact our understanding of how stars evolve and influence other areas of astrophysics.

3. What causes an eclipsing binary problem?

The most common cause of an eclipsing binary problem is the alignment of the orbital plane of the two stars with our line of sight. This means that from our perspective, one star passes in front of the other, blocking some of its light.

4. How do scientists study eclipsing binary problems?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study eclipsing binary problems. These can include photometry, which involves measuring the amount of light coming from the system, and spectroscopy, which analyzes the wavelengths of light emitted by the stars. They can also use computer modeling to simulate the behavior of the system.

5. Are eclipsing binary problems common?

Eclipsing binary problems are not uncommon, with approximately 10% of known stars being part of a binary system. However, not all of these systems exhibit eclipses, so the number of eclipsing binary problems is significantly lower.