Industry internships for physics undergrads?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to work in industry after completing their B.S. in nuclear physics. They are seeking advice on whether or not physics students can obtain internships in the San Francisco Bay Area or near Sacramento, and mention the DOE's SULI program and potential opportunities at SLAC, Lawrence Berkeley Lab, and NASA's Moffet Field.
colin.mcenroe
Hello,

I am currently working in the nuclear physics group at my university. I am thinking that next summer I would like to work in industry at some sort of corporation, probably in the San Francisco Bay Area or near Sacramento in California. I am wondering if I am deluded and only engineering students can get these sorts of internships, or if physics students can in fact get jobs like these. I am seriously thinking of trying to go into industry after getting my B.S. and think this may be helpful in my decision process.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas?

the DOE's SULI program offers internships thru SLAC and Lawrence Berkeley labs... also, NASA probably offers some program or another at Moffet Field (near San Jose). Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head, but both would, i imagine, be valuable to prospetive employers after graduation...

cheers

1. What is an industry internship for physics undergrads?

An industry internship for physics undergrads is a temporary work experience program that allows undergraduate students studying physics to gain hands-on experience in a professional setting. It typically takes place during the summer break and can range from a few weeks to a few months.

2. What are the benefits of doing an industry internship for physics undergrads?

There are many benefits to doing an industry internship for physics undergrads. It allows students to apply the knowledge they have learned in their classes to real-world problems and projects. It also gives them the opportunity to develop practical skills, network with professionals in their field, and gain valuable experience for their future careers.

3. How do I find an industry internship for physics undergrads?

There are several ways to find an industry internship for physics undergrads. You can search for internship opportunities on job search engines, career websites, and company websites. Your university's career center may also have resources and connections for internships. Additionally, networking with professionals in your field and attending career fairs can also lead to internship opportunities.

4. What qualifications do I need to have for an industry internship for physics undergrads?

The qualifications for an industry internship for physics undergrads can vary depending on the specific internship and company. Generally, a strong academic record and relevant coursework in physics are important. Some internships may also require specific skills or experience, such as programming or laboratory experience. It is important to carefully read the internship description and requirements before applying.

5. Are industry internships for physics undergrads paid?

Some industry internships for physics undergrads are paid, while others are unpaid. It is important to carefully review the internship description to determine if it is a paid or unpaid opportunity. Some internships may also offer compensation in the form of a stipend or academic credit. If the internship is unpaid, you may want to consider the potential benefits and weigh them against the financial cost of participating.