Carbon Steel for High T pipeline

In summary: They often run at 600°C and 250 bar (supercritical steam) for many years without much corrosion.In summary, the problem at hand is to design a pipeline distribution system for steam service with high pressure and high temperature conditions. The inlet conditions are 650 ºF and 1900 psi, and the pipes are several km long with varying diameters. The flowrates are quite high and it is recommended to use 30" pipelines. The current design with B.31.1 results in a thickness of 2", but alternative materials such as martensitic stainless steel may be more suitable due to their better strength and resistance to corrosion by steam. However, the extreme conditions of the system may require further research on
Iron_Woman
This is my problem: I need to design a pipeline distribution system for steam service. But is thought in order to inject high P, high T steam into oil wells (upstream industry). Inlet conditions into the pipeline will be 650 ºF, 1900 psi. Pipes are several km long, and, because it is a network, diameters vary. My flowrates are quite high, so it would be good to use some 30" pipelines.

I was designing with B.31.1 in order to get a pipe thickness, but the materials I found there give me about 2" thickness for 30", due to the low steel strenght.

Is there any material suitable for my application?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Iron_Woman said:
This is my problem: I need to design a pipeline distribution system for steam service. But is thought in order to inject high P, high T steam into oil wells (upstream industry). Inlet conditions into the pipeline will be 650 ºF, 1900 psi. Pipes are several km long, and, because it is a network, diameters vary. My flowrates are quite high, so it would be good to use some 30" pipelines.

I was designing with B.31.1 in order to get a pipe thickness, but the materials I found there give me about 2" thickness for 30", due to the low steel strenght.

Is there any material suitable for my application?

Thanks
I believe 2 inches (5.1 cm) is in the ball park. High pressure (2500 psi) and high temperature (up to 700 F) has wall thickness on the order of 2.6 to 3.2 inches (6.6 to 8.1 cm) for nuclear power systems. The piping is often centrifigual cast, while elbow and fittings are statically cast.

Here are some examples of materials:
http://www.petrosteel.ca/ocgt/high_pressure_seamless_pipes.html

And one should apply the appropriate code. It would difficult to use a material not covered by ASME code: B31.1 or B31.3.

Here is an example - http://www.psig.sg/Don/B31.3 Process Piping Course - 17 High Pressure Piping.pdf

A high pressure (2000 psi) pipeline is potentially hazardous. Corrosion and erosion are critical aspects. Depending on the geographic location, the piping should be appropriately insulated.

Depending on the size of the system, it might be better to place the steam generator near a set of wells rather transport high pressure steam over km of pipeline.

In an oil well, some km are vertical, so producing the vapour near the use isn't easy.

For such T and P, carbon steel may not be optimum. You might give an eye to martensitic stainless steel: vapour turbines use alloys very similar in composition to Aisi 420 (=X20Cr13), which keeps essentially their good strength at this temperature, even over time, as Cr avoid long-term softening.

Cr (but no Ni) makes them somewhat more expensive than carbon steel, but the better strength at heat allows to reduce the sections, which may save cost (or not). Their resistance to corrosion by steam is good.

Some such alloys add a bit of Ni (1.4057, 19-4...) or V, Mo... (modified Aisi 420) to improve corrosion resistance or strength, but these are details over the cheap and common X20Cr13.

Also, they are sometimes tempered at 280°C instead of 650°C for better yield strength, but I wouldn't go that way for service at 340°C.

Thats really extreme conditions. you are probably approaching if not at supercritical conditions for Water and Other gases that may exist in your pipeline. You should probably review literature pertaining to the corrosive properties of supercritical water.

The alloys I suggested are used in vapour turbines.

1. What is carbon steel and why is it used for high pressure pipelines?

Carbon steel is a type of steel that contains carbon as the main alloying element. It is used for high pressure pipelines because it has a high tensile strength and is resistant to corrosion. This makes it ideal for handling the high pressures and harsh conditions typically found in pipeline systems.

2. How is carbon steel for high pressure pipelines different from other types of carbon steel?

Carbon steel for high pressure pipelines is specially designed and manufactured to meet specific requirements for use in high pressure systems. It is often made with higher levels of carbon and other alloying elements, as well as strict quality control measures to ensure its strength and durability.

3. What are the advantages of using carbon steel for high pressure pipelines?

There are several advantages to using carbon steel for high pressure pipelines. These include its high strength, resistance to corrosion, and ability to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures. Additionally, carbon steel is relatively affordable and readily available, making it a cost-effective choice for pipeline construction.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using carbon steel for high pressure pipelines?

One potential disadvantage of carbon steel for high pressure pipelines is its susceptibility to corrosion. However, this can be mitigated through proper coating and maintenance. Additionally, carbon steel may not be suitable for use in extremely high pressure environments, as it may not have the necessary strength and resistance.

5. How is carbon steel for high pressure pipelines tested and certified?

Carbon steel for high pressure pipelines undergoes rigorous testing and certification processes to ensure its quality and safety. This includes testing for strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance, as well as compliance with industry standards and regulations. Certified carbon steel will have a mark or label indicating its compliance with these standards.