Question about differential pressure on subsea pipelines.

In summary: I=&biw=1440&bih=702In summary, the equation to compensate for the area difference between the inner and outer area of a pipe is Peff = Po - Pi*(1-2t/d). However, this equation is for collapse instead of burst. If pipe wall is thin compared to mean diameter and resulting stresses come out well below yield then simple formulas are ok. If pipe is thick walled compared to mean diameter or if stresses come out any where near yield when estimated by simple formulas then the full analysis is necessary.
zeromodz
Hi, I'm an engineer working on a subsea pipeline project. Right now I am working on a spreadsheet to calculate the differential net pressure on a sub sea pipeline. I am using API RP 1111 for offshore pipeline design. My question is the following.

For any pipeline with a nonzero wall thickness, the inner area will be less than the outer area. Consequently, there will be a larger force distribution on the outer wall than the inner wall. Pressure is not a vector, therefore area must be considered when finding the net effective pressure on the pipe wall. I am only concerned with pipe burst in this scenario.

After doing some searching, I found this equation to compensate for the area difference.

Peff = Po - Pi*(1-2t/d)

Where
t = wall thickness
d = outisde diameter
Po = external pressure (hydrostatic)
Pi = internal pressure (Shut in tubing pressure)

However, the context I found this equation is for collapse instead of burst. My question then becomes is it suitable to treat this equation for a burst?

It seems to just be just a summation equation so it could work both ways. The problem is I don't see anything mentioning this in the recommended practice I'm reading. It does say "For purposes of design, pressure shall be interpreted as the difference between internal pressure and external pressure acting on the pipeline." I'm not trying to argue with API, but it makes sense to compensate for the smaller area.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If pipe wall is thin compared to mean diameter and resulting stresses come out well below yield then simple formulas are ok

If pipe is thick walled compared to mean diameter or if stresses come out any where near yield when estimated by simple formulas then the full analysis is nescessary .

Formulas in Roark and detailed analysis in Timoshenko .

Easy enough though to do the full analysis from first principles . I always like to work from first principles where possible .

1. What is differential pressure on subsea pipelines?

Differential pressure on subsea pipelines refers to the difference in pressure between two points along the pipeline. This pressure difference is caused by factors such as changes in elevation, flow rate, and obstructions in the pipeline.

2. Why is differential pressure important for subsea pipelines?

Differential pressure is important for subsea pipelines because it helps to maintain the flow of fluids through the pipeline. It also allows for monitoring and detection of any potential issues, such as leaks or blockages, which can affect the efficiency and safety of the pipeline.

3. How is differential pressure measured on subsea pipelines?

Differential pressure on subsea pipelines is typically measured using pressure gauges or transmitters placed at different points along the pipeline. These devices measure the pressure at each point and calculate the difference between them.

4. What factors can affect differential pressure on subsea pipelines?

Several factors can affect differential pressure on subsea pipelines, including changes in fluid density, temperature, and flow rate. Obstructions, such as debris or buildup, can also cause changes in pressure along the pipeline.

5. How is differential pressure managed on subsea pipelines?

Differential pressure on subsea pipelines is managed through regular monitoring and maintenance. This may include adjusting flow rates, clearing any obstructions, and repairing any leaks or damage to the pipeline. Proper management of differential pressure is essential for the safe and efficient operation of subsea pipelines.