Cauchy's integral (therom aand formula)

In summary, the conversation discusses the Cauchy integral theorem and formula, which are used to evaluate integrals over closed curves in a simple connected domain. The theorem states that the integral of an analytic function over a closed curve is zero, while the formula allows for the calculation of the function at a point inside the curve. However, the conversation also mentions that this does not hold true for all points on the curve, as there is a singularity at the point of integration. To gain a better understanding of these concepts, it is recommended to read Visual Complex Analysis.
ajayguhan
let D be simple connected Domain and C be simple close curve in D.

then by cauchy integral theorm ∫(z) dz over C is zero.→let this be my 1st equation.

but by cauchy integral formula for a point (a) inside C, we can say

f(a)=(1/2∏i)[closed integral over c]∫f(z)dz/(z-a)

NOTE f(z) is analytic function in D.

but substituting [closed integral over c]∫f(z)dz=0 from equation 1,

we get f(a)=0, for all a belonging to C but which is not true.

now where i am wrong ?

i don't get the intuition behind cauchy integral therom and formula ,

would be glad if someone helped me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's 't-h-e-o-r-e-m'.

ajayguhan said:
let D be simple connected Domain and C be simple close curve in D.

then by cauchy integral theorm ∫(z) dz over C is zero.→let this be my 1st equation.
You mean [tex]\int f(z)dz[/tex] over C is zero when is analytic inside C? Of course [itex]\int z dz= 0[/itex] but that is irrelevant to what you have below.

but by cauchy integral formula for a point (a) inside C, we can say

f(a)=(1/2∏i)[closed integral over c]∫f(z)dz/(z-a)

NOTE f(z) is analytic function in D.

but substituting [closed integral over c]∫f(z)dz=0 from equation 1,

we get f(a)=0, for all a belonging to C but which is not true.

now where i am wrong ?

i don't get the intuition behind cauchy integral therom and formula ,

would be glad if someone helped me.
Apparently you forgot about the [tex]\frac{1}{z- a}[/tex] part! If f(z) is analytic inside C, [tex]\frac{f(z)}{z- a}[/tex] is not- it has a pole of order 1 at z= a.

If you want intuition for this stuff, you should read Visual Complex Analysis. I could hardly do it justice here.

What is Cauchy's integral theorem?

Cauchy's integral theorem, also known as Cauchy's integral formula, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the value of a complex function at a point inside a closed contour to the values of the function on the contour itself.

What is the significance of Cauchy's integral theorem?

Cauchy's integral theorem is significant because it allows us to calculate the value of a complex function inside a closed contour without having to evaluate the function at every point inside the contour. This makes it a powerful tool in solving problems in complex analysis.

What is the formula for Cauchy's integral theorem?

The formula for Cauchy's integral theorem is:
C f(z) dz = 2πi∑k=1 Reszk[f(z)],
where C is a closed contour, f(z) is a complex function, and Reszk[f(z)] is the residue of f(z) at the point zk inside the contour.

What is the difference between Cauchy's integral formula and Cauchy's integral theorem?

Cauchy's integral formula is a special case of Cauchy's integral theorem, where the closed contour C is a circle. In other words, Cauchy's integral formula is a specific version of Cauchy's integral theorem that applies to functions that are analytic within and on the contour of a circle.

How is Cauchy's integral theorem used in real-world applications?

Cauchy's integral theorem has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.