Finding Electric Field from Electric Potential

In summary, when finding the electric field given the electric potential, the result will consist of components (Ex, Ey, Ez) that can be presented in raw form or as a magnitude and direction, depending on the context. The direction of the electric field can be specified using angles or as a unit vector in the appropriate direction.
uchicago2012
Hello,

I'm working on a problem where I'm given V, the electric potential, and asked to find E, the electric field. So I took the partial derivatives and found Ex, Ey, Ez. But now I was wondering how to present this answer, since it is the components of the electric field and not the electric field. Would I simply add them together? And how would I know the direction of E, since E is a vector while V is not?

Physics news on Phys.org
uchicago2012 said:
Hello,

I'm working on a problem where I'm given V, the electric potential, and asked to find E, the electric field. So I took the partial derivatives and found Ex, Ey, Ez. But now I was wondering how to present this answer, since it is the components of the electric field and not the electric field. Would I simply add them together? And how would I know the direction of E, since E is a vector while V is not?

The field is a vector quantity. It has magnitude and direction. You could present the result in raw component form, or as a magnitude with a direction specified either by angles, or perhaps as a unit vector in the appropriate direction. The precise form will depend upon the context, and how other vectors are specified in the given circumstances.

1. How do you calculate electric field from electric potential?

To calculate electric field from electric potential, you can use the formula E = -∇V, where E represents the electric field, ∇ is the gradient operator, and V is the electric potential. This formula takes into account the change in electric potential over a distance, allowing you to determine the electric field at a specific point.

2. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential. This means that the electric field is determined by the rate of change of the electric potential. In other words, the electric field is the force per unit charge that a charged particle would experience in a given electric potential.

3. Can you find the electric field at any point using only electric potential?

Yes, you can calculate the electric field at any point using only electric potential. This is because the electric field is directly related to the electric potential through the gradient operator. By taking the gradient of the electric potential at a specific point, you can determine the electric field at that point.

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy a charged particle would have at a specific point in an electric field. On the other hand, electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit charge that a charged particle would experience at a specific point in an electric field.

5. What are the units for electric field and electric potential?

The units for electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m), while the units for electric potential are volts (V). Both are derived from the fundamental unit of electric charge, the coulomb (C).