A compact, bounded, closed-range operator on a Hilbert space has finite rank

In summary, we are given a compact, bounded operator T on an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space H with closed range. We need to show that T has finite rank without using the open-mapping theorem. To do so, we can use the definitions of compact and finite rank operators, as well as the fact that finite rank operators are the closure of compact operators. We also know that compact operators cannot be invertible on Hilbert spaces. Therefore, we can modify the domain and codomain of T to make it a bijection between Hilbert spaces, showing that T is not invertible and therefore has finite rank.
SiennaB

Homework Statement

Let [itex]H[/itex] be an [itex]\infty[/itex]-dimensional Hilbert space and [itex]T:H\to{H}[/itex] be an operator.

Show that if [itex]T[/itex] is compact, bounded and has closed range, then [itex]T[/itex] has finite rank. Do not use the open-mapping theorem.

Let [itex]B(H)[/itex] denote the space of all bounded operators mapping [itex]H\to{H}[/itex], [itex]K(H)[/itex] denote the space of all compact operators mapping [itex]H\to{H}[/itex], [itex]R(H)[/itex] denote the space of all finite rank operators mapping [itex]H\to{H}[/itex].

2. Relevant defintions

*[itex]T\in{B(H)}[/itex] is compact if the closure of [itex]T(B(0,1))[/itex] is a compact set.
*[itex]T\in{B(H)}[/itex] has finite rank if [itex]Range(T)=T(H)[/itex] is finite-dimensional.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to do the proof, but I think the following propositions in my lecture notes could be useful:

*[itex]T\in{R(H)}[/itex] iff [itex]T\in{B(H)}[/itex] is the norm limit of a sequence of finite rank operators, i.e. [itex]K(H)[/itex] is the closure of [itex]R(H)[/itex].
*Let [itex]T\in{R(H)}[/itex]. Then there is an orthonormal set [itex]{{e_1,...,e_L}}\in{H}[/itex] s.t. [tex]Tu=\sum\limits_{i,j=1}^{L}{c_{ij}(u,e_j)e_i}[/tex] where [itex]c_{ij}[/itex] are complex numbers.

Any help with the proof would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that compact operators can never be invertible on Hilbert spaces??

Given your compact operator T with closed range, can you modify the domain and codomain a bit such that T becomes a bijection between Hilbert spaces??

micromass said:
Do you know that compact operators can never be invertible on Hilbert spaces??

Given your compact operator T with closed range, can you modify the domain and codomain a bit such that T becomes a bijection between Hilbert spaces??
Thank you for your reply.

The next part of the question is to show that T is not invertible, so I can't use that fact.

T would be surjective if its image equalled its range, but the question defines these to be equal (under heading 2 in the original post), so T is already surjective. I'm not sure how to make T injective.

What is a compact operator?

A compact operator is a linear operator on a Hilbert space that maps bounded sets to relatively compact sets. This means that the image of a bounded set under a compact operator will be a set with a compact closure.

What does it mean for an operator to be bounded?

A bounded operator is one whose norm is finite. In other words, the operator does not change the size of the vectors it operates on by more than a finite factor.

What is a closed-range operator?

A closed-range operator is one whose image, or range, is a closed subspace of the Hilbert space. This means that the operator preserves the completeness of the space.

What does it mean for an operator to have finite rank?

An operator has finite rank if its range is finite-dimensional. This means that the operator can be represented by a matrix with a finite number of rows and columns.

Why is the finite rank property important for compact, bounded, closed-range operators?

The finite rank property is important because it guarantees that the operator has a well-defined inverse, making it easier to analyze and work with. It also allows for simpler representations and approximations of the operator, which can be useful in applications.