Downloading a streaming video - possible?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, to download a streaming video of Israel's main news channel segment where my hand makes a cameo appearance, one can use either the RealPlayer or Firefox streaming capture tools, or use the FlashGot extension for Firefox.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Downloading a streaming video -- possible?

Wasn't sure where to post this.

So there's a streaming video online of Israel's main news channel segment where my hand makes a cameo appearance (lol)-- don't ask why, but I want to download it as a video :smile:

The clip
http://reshet.ynet.co.il/News2/Shows/MainNewscast_video/videomarklist,186757/

I'm not as tech-savvy as some of you, so I want to ask you what tools should I use to crop it and download it to my computer? I really just need 30 seconds. The part between 70:30 to 71:00

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Here's one way I know how to do it.

Somewhere on your computer there is a folder named "Internet Cache" or somesuch.
Since I'm not using Windows myself I forget where it is exactly (you can probably google it if you can't find it).

When you play a streaming video, the video is typically cached in this folder.
Check if you can find a recent new and large file.
Usually you need to rename it to have the extension ".flv".

Of course, you can always google for other ways to get a handle on streaming video. :wink:

http://www.real.com/realplayer/search

Above gives you Realplayer. If you are using Internet Explorer or Firefox (not 5) or Chrome, it gives you the capability of streaming capture. It will capture the whole file, so you would have to edit later yourself.

Thanks :smile: The real player thing sounds pretty easy, I'll try that.

Firefox has several Add Ons that claim to allow you to save video from sites like YouTube. I haven't tried them though.

I use Firefox with the extension FlashGot. I've used it for years and it does a very good job of staying up to date to get videos from the wide variety of internet sites.

As for basic video editing I use Avidemux. It's pretty easy to use, and allows cutting out whatever sections you want and then saving the file without reencoding it (which preserves video quality).

'tis possible that the Firefox Tools->Page Info panel will give it to you. It has a "Media" section that allows you to individually save all the items it knows about.

I think (but I'm not sure) that VLC can do this, as well as convert filetypes.

RealPlayer is horrible software, IMO.

jhae2.718 said:
I think (but I'm not sure) that VLC can do this, as well as convert filetypes.

RealPlayer is horrible software, IMO.
I've used Realplayer for years, although my primary player is windows media player. For streaming video capture I haven't found anything better. What is horrible about it?

mathman said:
I've used Realplayer for years, although my primary player is windows media player. For streaming video capture I haven't found anything better. What is horrible about it?

I don't want to derail the thread, but I always found it buggy and filled with annoying advertising popups. Maybe it's changed since I've last used it, which admittedly was some time ago.

I tried to generate it in the internet cache, but I only get the first quarter of an hour and not the part at 70:00.

With VLC I was not able to get a handle on the actual video (which appears to be an SWF Shockwave flash file).

jhae2.718 said:
I don't want to derail the thread, but I always found it buggy and filled with annoying advertising popups. Maybe it's changed since I've last used it, which admittedly was some time ago.

Try the latest version. As far as ads and popups, I have seen any. The closest thing I can think of is that if you open it cold (as opposed to playing a video) it describes various features.

There's really at least two steps required here:
  1. Get the video to your computer
  2. Extract the relevant portion of the clip you want
...plus an interim step if you need to transcode the clip into MPEG or some other format in order to edit it. Did the RealPlayer technique work to get the video to your machine?

I tried browsing with Firefox to the URL provided by the OP and am able to download the file using the "Download YouTube Videos 3.3.51" extension from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-youtube-videos/ just by right-clicking any blank area of the page and selecting "Video Downloader" --> "27 6 11.flv -- 243.51 MB" from the context menu.

Realplayer gets the video into your machine, either in a default folder or one you can specify. The video format is that of the original video - usually (not necessarily always) either .flv or .mp4.

I have several editing programs (Avidemux, FormatFactory, Any Video Converter). The latter two can convert to any more usual format (.mpg, .avi, .wmv, etc.) with limited editing capability. Avidemux is better for editing, but it is more difficult for output format. Windows movie maker can also be used for editing, but it does not take .mp4 or .flv, so they need to be converted first.

I tried lordaq's suggestion and was able to download the video.
And with mathman's suggestion for avidemux, I was able to cut it down to the relevant video fragment.

@Femme_physics: are you still interested in the video fragment?

Femme,

Once you have saved the video using Real Player, download Windows Live Movie Maker (I am using Windows 7, if not there are other compatible ones for your OS), you can download it http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&...c.r_pw.&fp=1ec92a21f3882047&biw=1366&bih=585". Then click on the "normal view" link, it is not as sharp as my original on my computer after being uploaded to "You Tube". I think it came out fine otherwise. It was taken with a Contour 1080P HD camera, then edited with Live Movie Maker. Good luck...

Rhody...

Re: Windows movie maker. I have found the windows 7 version almost impossible to use - maybe there is a user's manual someplace. I was able to get the Windows Vista version (a completely different program - similar to the XP version), which I use frequently, with the caveat that .flv and .mp4 files need to be converted.

mathman said:
Re: Windows movie maker. I have found the windows 7 version almost impossible to use - maybe there is a user's manual someplace. I was able to get the Windows Vista version (a completely different program - similar to the XP version), which I use frequently, with the caveat that .flv and .mp4 files need to be converted.
Mathman,

Did you mean "Live Windows Moviemaker" ? I downloaded it less than two weeks ago, it is a little non-intuitive to use, but once you get the hang of it, it is a snap, I think you can blend multiple audio tracks over the same video, but I haven't got there yet. Perhaps your version (if in fact it was older) was harder to use. Not the case here, though. If you want full full edit capability I have been eyeing this software for awhile http://www.avs4you.com/" , I believe it is a try before you buy deal, and the price for a lic is reasonable. Someone on my BMW forum uses it and recommends as a tool for editing, etc...

Rhody...

The Windows 7 version that I have is "Live Windows Moviemaker". It needs a good instruction manual. As it stands I could not figure out how to use it, at least to the functionality of the previous version (Win Moviemaker 2.6).

mathman said:
The Windows 7 version that I have is "Live Windows Moviemaker". It needs a good instruction manual. As it stands I could not figure out how to use it, at least to the functionality of the previous version (Win Moviemaker 2.6).

Mathman,

I am using the 2011 Version 15.4.3508.1109, (see thumbnail). Once you save the project file (after loading editing, movies, pictures, etc... you publish it by either saving the file (as Windows .wmv file extension) or upload to You Tube, etc... The file must be under 25 MB. Here are tutorial http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&...c.r_pw.&fp=1ec92a21f3882047&biw=1664&bih=823" for you. I didn't need it, but there some fine points I may need in my next video so I will keep the above link in mind.

Femme,

Have you gotten what you needed, and is this just an academic exercise at this point ? Not that I mind, mathman.

Rhody... :wink:

Attachments

• WMoviemaker.jpg
    WMoviemaker.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 442

I am interested to see if it is in any way better than Windows movie maker 6.2. If it is, I may start using it. I'll try the tutorials.

One of the easiest ways to capture videos is with KeepVid a download-helper site. It's completely browser-based, so there's no software to download.
Another good site for saving online video is YouTube Downloader, a simpler option that only works with YouTube.

markfinn said:
One of the easiest ways to capture videos is with KeepVid a download-helper site. It's completely browser-based, so there's no software to download.
Another good site for saving online video is YouTube Downloader, a simpler option that only works with YouTube.

I am not familiar with KeepVid. The YouTube Downloader is much clumsier to use than Realplayer.

mathman said:
I am not familiar with KeepVid. The YouTube Downloader is much clumsier to use than Realplayer.
I have a browser (Avant) which is a front end for Internet Explorer. The current version of Avant has a built in streaming video capture - it works very much like Realplayer.

1. Can I download a streaming video?

Yes, it is possible to download a streaming video. However, the method for downloading will depend on the platform or website where the video is being streamed from.

2. Is it legal to download a streaming video?

The legality of downloading a streaming video depends on the source of the video and the terms and conditions set by the website or platform. In some cases, it may be considered a violation of copyright laws.

3. How do I download a streaming video from YouTube?

YouTube does not have a built-in feature for downloading videos. However, there are third-party websites and browser extensions that allow you to download YouTube videos. Just make sure to read the terms and conditions before using any third-party tools.

4. Can I download a streaming video on my phone or tablet?

Yes, you can download a streaming video on your phone or tablet if the website or platform allows it. Some websites have a download button or feature specifically for mobile devices.

5. Will downloading a streaming video affect my internet speed?

Downloading a streaming video may temporarily affect your internet speed, as it requires a certain amount of bandwidth. However, once the video is fully downloaded, your internet speed will return to normal.