Validity of Reduction Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the reduction formula for the integral of (1+x^2)^(-n), which is proven to be (2nI_{n+1} = (2n-1)I_n). The range of values for which this formula is valid is discussed, with the conclusion that n>1/2. This is determined by evaluating the integral \int{t^{-n} \, dt} and considering when the integrated out part \frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}} converges when x \rightarrow \infty. The fraction \frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1
jimbobian

Homework Statement

If In denotes [tex]\int_0^∞ \! \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
Prove that [itex]2nI_{n+1} = (2n-1)I_n[/itex], and state the values of n for which this reduction formula is valid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I_n=\int_0^∞ \! \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^n} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=\int_0^∞ \! (1+x^2)^{-n} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
By parts:
[tex]=\left[ x(1+x^2)^{-n} \right]_0^∞ + 2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{x^2}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=0 + 2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{(1+x^2)-1}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{(1+x^2)}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x - 2n\int_0^∞ \! \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^{n+1}} \, \mathrm{d} x[/tex]
[tex]=2nI_{n}-2nI_{n+1}[/tex]
[tex]2nI_{n+1}=(2n-1)I_{n}[/tex]
as required.

It's the next bit where I'm stuck - the range of values for which n is valid. Obviously when part of the integral has been evaluated (following parts), this requires that n>0 otherwise the expression doesn't converge. I can't see anywhere else in the method where there is a restriction for n to be a specific value so I went with n>0 as my answer, but my book says n>1/2, can anyway shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
the expression inside the integral is always positive and so does the integral.at n=1/2 the integral does not converge and observe that at n=1/2 ,I(n+1) is zero and for 0<n<1/2, I(n+1) is negative.

you should use:
[tex]
\frac{1}{(1 + x^2)^n} = \frac{1 + x^2 - x^2}{(1 + x^2)^n} = \frac{1}{(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}} - \frac{x^2}{(1 + x^2)^n}
[/tex]
For the integral of the second term, use integration by parts:
[tex]
-\int_{0}^{\infty}{x \, \frac{x}{(1 + x^2)^n} \, dx}
[/tex]
[tex]
u = x \Rightarrow du = dx
[/tex]
[tex]
dv = \frac{x}{(1 + x^2)^n} \, dx \Rightarrow v = \int{ \frac{x}{(1 + x^2)^n} \, dx} \stackrel{t = 1 + x^2}{=} \frac{1}{2} \, \int{t^{-n} \, dt} = \frac{t^{1- n}}{2(1 - n)} = -\frac{1}{2 (n - 1) (1 + x^2)^{n - 1}}
[/tex]
Combine everything, identify the relevant integrals with [itex]I_n[/itex], and [itex]I_{n - 1}[/itex], and see what you get.

Oh, I see you already did the steps. As for the range of validity, answer these questions:

1) What is the value of the integral [itex]\int{t^{-n} \, dt}[/itex] for [itex]n = 1[/itex]?

2) When does the integrated out part [itex]\frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}}[/itex] converge when [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?

Last edited:
Dickfore said:
Oh, I see you already did the steps. As for the range of validity, answer these questions:

1) What is the value of the integral [itex]\int{t^{-n} \, dt}[/itex] for [itex]n = 1[/itex]?

2) When does the integrated out part [itex]\frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}[/itex] converge when [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?

Please preview your posts, LaTeX errors happen all the time.

Dickfore said:

2) When does the integrated out part [itex]\frac{x}{2(n - 1)(1 + x^2)^{n - 1}}[/itex] converge when [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?

Thanks for your response.

1) ln(t), so this would suggest it doesn't converge for n=1?

2) Firstly I'm not sure where you've got this fraction from, I can't find it in any working of yours or mine? It would converge for n>1 for sure. For n=1 it won't converge, but for n<1 I have no idea?

what is [itex]u v[/itex] in the integration by parts?

What is the validity of reduction formula?

The validity of reduction formula refers to the accuracy and reliability of using a mathematical formula or method to simplify a problem or equation. It is essential to ensure that the reduction formula accurately represents the problem or equation being solved.

How do you determine the validity of a reduction formula?

The validity of a reduction formula can be determined by comparing the results obtained from using the formula to the original problem or equation. If the results are consistent and accurate, then the formula is considered valid.

Can a reduction formula be used for all problems or equations?

No, a reduction formula may only be applicable to certain types of problems or equations. It is essential to understand the limitations and assumptions of a reduction formula before using it.

What are the potential errors when using a reduction formula?

One potential error when using a reduction formula is selecting an incorrect formula for the problem or equation. This can lead to inaccurate results. Other errors may include ignoring certain variables or making incorrect assumptions.

How can the validity of a reduction formula be improved?

The validity of a reduction formula can be improved by conducting thorough testing and verification of the formula. Additionally, incorporating feedback and criticism from other scientists can help identify any potential flaws or limitations in the formula.