Sulfur trioxide hybridization

In summary, the central atom in this molecule is sulfur and it would have a hybridization of sp2 since it has 3 bonds. However, when invoking hybridization, there are 4 paired up electrons and 2 unpaired electrons. Paired up electrons are lone pairs and it is the unpaired electrons that are used in bonding. It is not possible to use MO theory to explain this. The lewis dot structure shows that sulfur forms 1 double bond and 2 single bonds with oxygen, but it would be more stable if it formed 3 double bonds. There was a typo in the formal charge for the single bonded oxygen, which should be -1. However, in this case, it is not a peroxide and
semc
Hi peeps can someone help me with this? The central atom would be sulfur correct? So that means sulfur will invoke hybridization sp2 would be use since there are 3 bonds? However when we invoke hybridization there are 2 2s electron and 2 2p electrons in the orbital(doesn't really know how to say this but basically i am trying to say they are in the same box). So when you invoke hybridization there will be 4 paired up electron and 2 unpaired electron? From what i know paired up electrons are lone pairs and its the unpaired electron that is used in bonding forming? Does that mean we can't use MO theory to explain this?

I tried searching the lewis dot structure of this molecule and found out that the sulfur forms 1 double bond and 2 single bond with the oxygen atoms. Why is that so? With 2 single bond and a double bond the sulfur would have a formal charge of +2 and oxygen +1. Ain't the molecule more stable if sulfur forms 3 double bond with oxygen since they won't have any formal charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:
I tried searching the lewis dot structure of this molecule and found out that the sulfur forms 1 double bond and 2 single bond with the oxygen atoms. Why is that so? With 2 single bond and a double bond the sulfur would have a formal charge of +2 and oxygen +1. Ain't the molecule more stable if sulfur forms 3 double bond with oxygen since they won't have any formal charge?

Are you certain that all of the atoms have a positive formal charge?

I meant -1 for the single bonded oxygen. A typo but still doesn't answer the question

That's not right.

Why is that so

Because the oxygen in SO3 is not a peroxide. Always assume that oxygen is -2 in compounds unless it is a compound with fluorine or if it is a peroxide. If it is a peroxide (oxidation number is -1), you need to rationalize an O-O bond. Can you do that in SO3?

No idea what you are talking about. Since oxygen has 7 electrons on it shouldn't the formal charge be -1? So can you explain the bonding in the molecule using MO theory?

semc said:
oxygen has 7 electrons on it shouldn't the formal charge be -1?

Where is the 7 coming from? 6 for a free atom (as if it existed, but that's what we see in periodic table) or 8 in compounds (when it gets noble gas configuration).

--

I meant when i drew the lewis dot for sulfur trioxide the central sulfur forms 2 dative bond with 2 oxygen and a double bond with the other one so i am talking about the one with the single bond. Why can't the sulfur form 3 double bond with all 3 oxygen atom?

1. What is the hybridization of sulfur trioxide?

The hybridization of sulfur trioxide is sp2. This means that the sulfur atom has one s orbital and two p orbitals that are combined to form three hybrid orbitals.

2. How many sigma and pi bonds are present in sulfur trioxide?

There are two sigma bonds and one pi bond in sulfur trioxide. The two sigma bonds are formed between the sulfur atom and two of the oxygen atoms, while the pi bond is formed between the sulfur atom and the remaining oxygen atom.

3. What is the molecular geometry of sulfur trioxide?

The molecular geometry of sulfur trioxide is trigonal planar. This means that the three atoms (sulfur and two oxygen) are arranged in a flat triangle with a bond angle of 120 degrees between each atom.

4. What is the electronic geometry of sulfur trioxide?

The electronic geometry of sulfur trioxide is also trigonal planar. This is because the lone pairs of electrons on the sulfur atom are not considered when determining the electronic geometry.

5. What are the uses of sulfur trioxide?

Sulfur trioxide is commonly used in the production of sulfuric acid, which is used in a variety of industries including fertilizers, batteries, and detergents. It is also used in the production of other chemicals and as a catalyst in organic reactions.