Questions about Spiral Galaxies

In summary, a new supercomputer simulation has been found that may help explain how spiral arms are formed on galaxies.
twofu
So I was watching this:

which talks about the winding paradox of spiral galaxies, e.g. the stars all move at the same relative speed however that shape is maintained. However, we still have those shapes.
The video talks about density waves of some sort. I don't really understand. This can't be some sort of probability density coming from wave amplitude like in quantum mechanics, or is it?

Anyone care to elaborate or if you have your own explanation?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
twofu said:
The video talks about density waves of some sort. I don't really understand. This can't be some sort of probability density coming from wave amplitude like in quantum mechanics, or is it?
You are correct, it has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. Unfortunately I do not know much more on this topic than is in that video and on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_wave_theory" . The wikipedia page has several animations that help demonstrate some of the ideas you heard about in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the sources, it helped a lot :)

Yeah that star with the spiral arms is very interesting, i would like to see more pictures of it :S

1. What are spiral galaxies?

Spiral galaxies are a type of galaxy characterized by their spiral arms, which extend outwards from a central bulge. They are one of the most common types of galaxies in the universe and are typically larger and more massive than other types of galaxies.

2. How do spiral galaxies form?

The exact process of how spiral galaxies form is still not fully understood, but it is believed that they are formed through a combination of gravitational interactions and mergers between smaller galaxies. The spiral arms are thought to be formed by density waves that compress gas and dust, leading to the formation of new stars.

3. What are the different types of spiral galaxies?

There are two main types of spiral galaxies: barred and unbarred. Barred spiral galaxies have a bar-like structure in the center, while unbarred spiral galaxies do not. Within these two types, there are also subcategories based on the size and shape of the spiral arms and the central bulge.

4. How do scientists study spiral galaxies?

Scientists study spiral galaxies using a variety of tools and techniques, such as telescopes, radio telescopes, and computer simulations. They can observe the visible light, infrared, and radio emissions from these galaxies to learn about their structure, composition, and movement.

5. Are there any notable spiral galaxies?

Yes, there are several notable spiral galaxies, including our own Milky Way galaxy. Other notable examples include the Andromeda galaxy, the Whirlpool galaxy, and the Pinwheel galaxy. These galaxies have been extensively studied by scientists and have provided valuable insights into the formation and evolution of spiral galaxies.