Can the concept of hybridization be applied to what we consider ionic,

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of hybridization to ionic compounds, specifically MgCl2. The general consensus is that hybridization does not apply to completely ionic bonds, but may be relevant for partially ionic and partially covalent bonds. Fajan's rules and dipole moment-electronegativity concepts may help in predicting the primarily covalent or ionic nature of a bond, but may only provide relative characterizations. There is also a mention of using the Schrodinger equation and quantum mechanics to work out molecular orbitals.
Ashu2912
Can the concept of hybridization be applied to what we consider ionic, such as MgCl2 (sp hybridization, if we apply it)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

By my knowledge, the answer is 'no'. Hybridization applies to covalent bonding only.

Ionic compond involves complete transfer of electron (or its wavefunction) from one atom to another , so hybrization does not apply. Dexter is right. Unless you wish to use Schrodinger equation to work out MO individually around the Anion.
Anyone will like to verify my statement ? I am beginner to learn quantum mechanics

In sp2 hybridization, how to obtain the normalization coefficients in the wavefuction of the hybrid orbitals, which always in surds ? Or pls some references? Thanks a lot

Well, thanks a lot, but I'm unaware (as in not fully acquainted with) of quantum mechanics...

gerrardz said:
Ionic compond involves complete transfer of electron (or its wavefunction) from one atom to another , so hybrization does not apply. Dexter is right. Unless you wish to use Schrodinger equation to work out MO individually around the Anion.
Anyone will like to verify my statement ? I am beginner to learn quantum mechanics

There are no completely ionic bonds. Hence hybridization is potentially relevant also for MgCl2.

Ya, all bonds are partially ionic and partially covalent. So, what in the case of NaCl? And my main question - will the Fajan's rules and dipole moment-electronegativity concepts help us predict the primarily covalent or ionic nature of a bond, as in BF3 or AlCl3, which seem to be ionic but are primarily covalent. Where to start then - from covalent or ionic? or do these concepts help only in predicting the 'relative' covalent and ionic characters of similar bonds?

1. Can ionic compounds also exhibit characteristics of hybridization?

Yes, while hybridization is typically associated with covalent bonds, it can also occur in ionic compounds. In these cases, the atoms involved in the ionic bond may have partially shared electron density, resulting in a degree of hybridization.

2. How does hybridization affect the properties of ionic compounds?

Hybridization can affect the properties of ionic compounds by altering the strength of the ionic bond and the distribution of charge within the molecule. It can also influence the shape and geometry of the compound.

3. Is hybridization more common in certain types of ionic compounds?

Yes, hybridization is more commonly observed in compounds where the cation and anion have similar electronegativities. This allows for a more even distribution of electron density and facilitates hybridization.

4. Can hybridization occur between atoms of different elements in an ionic compound?

Yes, hybridization can occur between atoms of different elements in an ionic compound. However, it is typically less common as the electronegativity difference between the elements may be too large for a significant amount of electron density to be shared.

5. How is hybridization different in ionic compounds compared to covalent compounds?

In ionic compounds, hybridization typically occurs between the cation and anion, resulting in a partial sharing of electron density. In covalent compounds, hybridization occurs between atoms of the same element, resulting in a mixing of atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals.