Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty principle and its energy-time counterpart. The equations for position, momentum, energy, frequency, wavelength, and velocity are mentioned, and a derivation is provided to show the relationship between energy and time uncertainties. However, it is noted that the energy-time uncertainty is not as rigorously defined as the position-momentum uncertainty due to the finite lifetime of particles.
harjyot
I was trying to Go from the uncertainty principle to its energy-time counter part. i know the maths is a bit off,but the idea is correct?

dx=position
p=momentum
e=energy
[itex]\upsilon[/itex]=frequency
[itex]\lambda[/itex]=wavelength
c=velocity of electromagnetic radiations
dt=time

now ,
[itex]\lambda[/itex]=h/p....(i)
c=[itex]\upsilon[/itex].[itex]\lambda[/itex]....(ii)

e=h.[itex]\upsilon[/itex]
e=(h.c)/[itex]\lambda[/itex]

replacing [itex]\lambda[/itex]'s value here from (i)

e=(h.c)/(h/p)
e=c.p

now c = velocity of light , it can be written as dx/dt
e= (dx/dt).p
multiplying by dt on both sides

e.dt=(dx/dt).dt.p
e.dt=dx.p

Therefore frome this relation if we straight away incorporate this in place of the
σx.σp≥h/4π

cannot we get
σe.σt≥4π

Physics news on Phys.org
harjyot said:
I was trying to Go from the uncertainty principle to its energy-time counter part. i know the maths is a bit off,but the idea is correct?

dx=position
p=momentum
e=energy
[itex]\upsilon[/itex]=frequency
[itex]\lambda[/itex]=wavelength
c=velocity of electromagnetic radiations
dt=time

now ,
[itex]\lambda[/itex]=h/p....(i)
c=[itex]\upsilon[/itex].[itex]\lambda[/itex]....(ii)

e=h.[itex]\upsilon[/itex]
e=(h.c)/[itex]\lambda[/itex]

replacing [itex]\lambda[/itex]'s value here from (i)

e=(h.c)/(h/p)
e=c.p

now c = velocity of light , it can be written as dx/dt
e= (dx/dt).p
multiplying by dt on both sides

e.dt=(dx/dt).dt.p
e.dt=dx.p

Therefore frome this relation if we straight away incorporate this in place of the
σx.σp≥h/4π

cannot we get
σe.σt≥4π

Your derivation only works symbolically (and is a good way to convince youself of the idea), as some of the equations above are meaningful only in a narrow range of applications. The uncertainty principle for position-momentum has a rigorous definition and proof (which is caused by the non-commutative relation of X and P operator), but not the energy-time relation. A better explanation for the energy-time uncertainty I've seen is from Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics, this is due to the fact that particles' life time is only finite (at least on the one end), thus its Fourier transform into the frequency domain fails to peak at a single frequency, instead will be spreaded - causing the uncertainty in energy measurement.

What is the Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation?

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we measure the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can measure its time, and vice versa. This means that there is an inherent uncertainty in the measurements of energy and time for a quantum system.

How is the Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation derived?

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation is derived from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that there is a limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties can be measured. The Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation specifically applies to the measurements of energy and time for a quantum system.

What is the significance of the Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation?

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation has significant implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of subatomic particles. It shows that there are limits to our ability to simultaneously measure certain properties of particles, and that there is an inherent uncertainty in the behavior of quantum systems.

How does the Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation impact practical applications?

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography, where precise measurements of energy and time are crucial. It also has implications for technologies such as atomic clocks and GPS systems.

Are there any exceptions to the Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation?

There are no known exceptions to the Energy-Time Uncertainty Relation. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that has been consistently observed in experiments and is an important aspect of our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles.