This is simple for you, hard for me

• Thread starter mgibel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses using the binomial distribution to calculate probabilities related to hay fever sufferers in Canada. The main focus is on finding the probability of a certain number of people being allergic to ragweed in a random sample of 7 hay fever sufferers. The formula for the binomial distribution is mentioned and the values for p (probability of being allergic to ragweed) and q (probability of not being allergic to ragweed) are given. The conversation also mentions using a combination formula to calculate the probabilities.
mgibel
This is simple for you, hard for me...

I really need to know how to do a question like this for a course I am taking. Can you help?

Out of 2 million hay fever sufferers in Canada, 82% are allergic to ragweed. If a random sample of 7 hay fever sufferers is selected,

a) what is the probability that 3 are allergic to ragweed?

b) What is the probability that 1 is allergic to ragweed?

What is the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is to use the binomial distribution with p=.82 and q=.18.
That is expand (p+q)n into powers of p (and q).
Then the probability of exactly k yesses is {n,k}pkqn-k.
I am using {n,k} to represent n!/k!(n-k)!. In your problem, n=7 and k=1 or k=3.

I completely understand how this question can seem simple for me, but difficult for you. Probability and statistics can be challenging topics for many people. However, with some practice and understanding of the formulas, you can also find it simple.

To answer your question, let's break it down step by step. In order to solve this problem, we need to use the binomial distribution formula, which is P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the sample size, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success.

a) In this case, n = 7 (since we have a random sample of 7 hay fever sufferers) and p = 0.82 (since 82% of hay fever sufferers are allergic to ragweed). We are looking for the probability that 3 out of 7 are allergic to ragweed, so x = 3. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

P(3) = 7C3 * 0.82^3 * (1-0.82)^(7-3) = 0.339

Therefore, the probability that 3 out of 7 hay fever sufferers in the sample are allergic to ragweed is 0.339 or 33.9%.

b) Similarly, for the second part of the question, we are looking for the probability that 1 out of 7 is allergic to ragweed. So, x = 1 and plugging in the values, we get:

P(1) = 7C1 * 0.82^1 * (1-0.82)^(7-1) = 0.033

Therefore, the probability that 1 out of 7 hay fever sufferers in the sample is allergic to ragweed is 0.033 or 3.3%.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem and the formula used to solve it. Remember, practice makes perfect and I am sure with some more practice, you will find probability and statistics to be simple as well. Best of luck with your course!

What does "This is simple for you, hard for me" mean?

"This is simple for you, hard for me" is a phrase commonly used to express that something comes easily to one person, while another person may struggle with it. It implies a difference in understanding or ability between two individuals.

Why do people say "This is simple for you, hard for me"?

People may say "This is simple for you, hard for me" because they are acknowledging that different individuals have different strengths and weaknesses. It can also be a way to express admiration or frustration towards someone who excels at something that is challenging for them.

How can I make something that is hard for me, simple?

Making something that is hard for you simple may require extra effort, practice, or seeking help from someone who is more knowledgeable or skilled in that area. Breaking down the task into smaller, more manageable steps can also make it seem less daunting.

Is it normal for something to be simple for someone, but hard for me?

Yes, it is completely normal for something to be simple for someone, but hard for you. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and what may come easily to one person may not come as easily to another. It is important to focus on your own progress and not compare yourself to others.

How can I overcome the feeling of "This is simple for you, hard for me"?

Overcoming the feeling of "This is simple for you, hard for me" may involve practicing self-compassion and acknowledging that everyone has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. It can also be helpful to focus on your own progress and not compare yourself to others. Seeking guidance or support from someone who is more knowledgeable or experienced in that area can also help improve your understanding and skills.