Help Solve Inductor Circuit Problem for Test Tomorrow

In summary, the conversation is about an AM radio antenna with a coil inductance of 0.90 mH and a radio wave with a frequency of 1.2 MHz inducing a current of 5.2 nA. The question is what the amplitude of the induced voltage across the coil is. The individual asking for help has already attempted to solve the problem and is looking for confirmation. The expert confirms that the individual is correct and advises them to be mindful of unit conversions in their calculations.
slyman
Please Help! Inductor Circuit

An AM radio antenna has the shape of a coil with inductance 0.90 mH. A radio wave with frequency 1.2 MHZ induces a current of amplitude 5.2 nA in the coil. What is the amplitude of the induced voltage across the coil?

I really need your help. It's going to be on the test for tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

This is what I did, I'm not sure of it.

First, we get "w" from the frequency from equation w=2*Pi*f.

Next we find the reactance of the inductor as it matches the resistor.

XL=wL which eqauls the resistor R.

Then the induced voltage is simply V=IR. We already have the current and we calculated R.

Am I right? Please Help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
YOU ARE RIGHT...

:rolleyes: GOOD JOB

Thanks. All I have to watch out for is converting the units.

1.What is an inductor circuit and how does it work?

An inductor circuit is a type of electrical circuit that includes an inductor, which is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field around the component. This magnetic field resists any changes in the flow of current, making inductors useful for smoothing out fluctuations in electrical circuits.

2. How do you solve a problem involving an inductor circuit?

To solve a problem involving an inductor circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the equations that govern inductors. First, you will need to determine the values of the inductor, resistance, and voltage in the circuit. Then, you can use these values to calculate the current and other important parameters of the circuit.

3. What are the common types of inductor circuit problems?

The most common types of inductor circuit problems involve calculating the current, voltage, or power in a circuit, finding the equivalent inductance in a series or parallel circuit, and solving for the time constant in an RL circuit. Other problems may involve finding the energy stored in an inductor or the frequency of an oscillating inductor circuit.

4. How can I prepare for a test on inductor circuit problems?

To prepare for a test on inductor circuit problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of the principles and equations involved. Make sure to review Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the equations for inductance and time constant. Practice solving a variety of problems and make sure to understand the steps involved in each solution. Also, familiarize yourself with common mistakes and how to avoid them.

5. What are some tips for solving inductor circuit problems quickly and accurately?

One tip for solving inductor circuit problems quickly and accurately is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify the relevant equations and simplify the problem. Another tip is to double-check your work and make sure your units are consistent throughout the problem. Finally, practice and familiarity with the equations and principles involved will help you solve problems more efficiently.