Graphs of Fractional Functions

In summary: I understand your explanation, but then how would I get it into the y= A + B/(x+1) format?Just write\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{(x+1)-1}{x+1}=\ldotsvanhees71's method is the easiest and quickest, and with a little practice, you'll quickly learn to master it.
xpeteyzx
Hello,
I have a problem that has me stumped, please help.
Question:
Find the equations of the asymptotes of the following fractional functions., and then, draw the graph and label x- and y-axis points of intersection.

The equation:
y= x/(x + 1)

My try at it:
I first divided x by (x + 1) to get the equations of the asymptotes:
x=-1, y=1 from y= 1 + 1/(x+1).

Then I drew the asymptotes equations on the graph:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1p2Lfkqab9qAVxzx9z0LFyWAm8-WeoP30yBSn9bHsDKM/edit (red is the asmptotes equations, black is the graph).

Then I got stumped at the points of intersection with the x-axis:
x-axis: (?, 0)
y-axis: (0, 2)

I got the y-axis by substituting 0 in for x in the previous equation:
y = 1 + 1/(x + 1)
y = 1 + 1/(0 + 1)
y = 1 + 1/1
y = 1 + 1
y = 2

But for x:
y = 1 + 1/(x+1)
because if I do negative one:
0 = 1 + 1/(-1+1)
0 = 1 + 1/0
0 = 1 is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are usually called 'rational functions' instead of 'fractional functions'.

In your attempt at finding the x-intercept, you have used y = 1 + 1/(x+1) instead of the original function.

y = 1 + 1/(x+1) is not equal to y = x / (x + 1)

but if I use the original equation, wouldn't it be a no-solution?

It wouldn't be a "no solution", but it would be difficult to find the solution. Your technique is correct, but your answer is wrong. If you want to find the x-intercepts of the equation [itex]y=x^2-1[/itex], you wouldn't want to be solving the incorrectly factored form [itex]y=(x-2)(x-3)[/itex] would you? You'd want to factor it correctly, and then go from there.

Similarly in this case, you want to find the correct values of A and B such that

[tex]\frac{x}{x+1}=A+\frac{B}{x+1}[/tex]

And once you do, check your answer! For example, using the values A=1 and B=1 that you gave,

[tex]1+\frac{1}{x+1}=\frac{1(x+1)+1}{x+1}=\frac{x+2}{x+1}\neq \frac{x}{x+1}[/tex]

Hence those values of A and B were not correct.

I understand your explanation, but then how would I get it into the y= A + B/(x+1) format?

Just write
[tex]\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{(x+1)-1}{x+1}=\ldots[/tex]

vanhees71's method is the easiest and quickest, and with a little practice, you'll quickly learn to master it.

The alternative method of finding A and B is called partial fraction decomposition and it may arise in your later math studies, so understanding its technique could be useful to you.

[tex]\frac{x}{x+1}=A+\frac{B}{x+1}[/tex]

the right hand side needs to be all on one fraction, so that we can compare it to the left,

[tex]=\frac{A(x+1)+B}{x+1}[/tex]

Now, since both sides have the same denominator, we just need to equate the numerators,

[tex]x=A(x+1)+B[/tex]

[tex]x=Ax+A+B[/tex]

for these equations to be equal, the coefficient (number in front of) the x terms must be equal and the constants must be equal. It might help to look at the equality like this

[tex]1x+0=Ax+(A+B)[/tex]

So we have that A=1 and A+B=0, hence B=-1.

If there is anything you don't understand, just ask.

1. What is a fractional function?

A fractional function is a type of mathematical function that contains a variable in the denominator. It can also be referred to as a rational function.

2. How do you graph a fractional function?

To graph a fractional function, you first need to find the domain and range of the function. Then, plot points on the graph by choosing values for the variable and calculating the corresponding output. Finally, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the graph.

3. What is the significance of the vertical asymptote in a graph of a fractional function?

The vertical asymptote in a graph of a fractional function represents values of the variable that make the denominator equal to zero. These values are not included in the domain of the function and therefore, the function is undefined at those points.

4. How do you determine the horizontal asymptote of a fractional function?

The horizontal asymptote of a fractional function can be determined by looking at the degrees of the numerator and denominator. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote is the x-axis (y=0). If the degrees are equal, the horizontal asymptote is the ratio of the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is greater, there is no horizontal asymptote.

5. Can a fractional function have more than one vertical asymptote?

Yes, a fractional function can have multiple vertical asymptotes. This occurs when there are multiple values of the variable that make the denominator equal to zero. Each of these values will be represented by a vertical asymptote on the graph.