Need Help: Cartesian to Polar Coordinates

In summary, The individual has recently returned to studying physics after a four-year break in social sciences. They need assistance in converting cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, as they have forgotten how to do so. While they remember how to calculate the distance between two points, they cannot recall the process for finding the angle needed in polar coordinates. They are directed to two websites for assistance.
Dorita
Just got back into physics after 4 years in social science and I have forgotten how to convert cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. The textbook I have makes no metion of it. probably bc I am expected to know this, but I can't remember. I remember how to calculate the distace between two points, but that's it. The two points I have are (2,-4) and (-3,3)

Thanks

Dora

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hi Dora,

No need to worry, it's completely normal to forget certain concepts after a break from a subject. Let's go over the steps to convert cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates.

To convert from cartesian (x,y) coordinates to polar (r,θ) coordinates, we use the following formulas:

r = √(x^2 + y^2)
θ = tan^-1(y/x)

So for your first point (2,-4), we have:
r = √(2^2 + (-4)^2) = √(4 + 16) = √20
θ = tan^-1((-4)/2) = tan^-1(-2) ≈ -63.43°

And for your second point (-3,3), we have:
r = √((-3)^2 + 3^2) = √(9 + 9) = √18
θ = tan^-1(3/(-3)) = tan^-1(-1) ≈ -45°

So the polar coordinates for your two points are:
(√20, -63.43°) and (√18, -45°)

Hope this helps! Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it again in no time. Good luck with your physics studies!

1. What is the difference between Cartesian and Polar coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates refer to a system of coordinates in which a point is identified by its distance from two perpendicular lines, known as the x and y axes. On the other hand, polar coordinates use a distance from a fixed point and an angle to locate a point.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
Where r represents the distance from the origin and θ represents the angle in radians.

3. What is the purpose of using Polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are often used in situations where describing a point using Cartesian coordinates would be difficult or impractical. They are also useful in describing circular or symmetrical shapes in a more simple and efficient manner.

4. Can Polar coordinates be negative?

Yes, both the distance (r) and angle (θ) in Polar coordinates can be negative. A negative r value indicates that the point is located in the opposite direction of the positive r direction, and a negative θ value represents a point in the opposite direction of the positive θ direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of Polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are especially useful in situations involving circular motion, such as tracking the movement of planets or satellites. They are also used in radar and sonar systems to locate objects in two-dimensional space. Additionally, Polar coordinates are used in mapping and surveying, as well as in various computer graphics applications.