Is Intro to Java difficult without programing experience?

In summary, the speakers discussed their experiences with introductory programming courses and the requirements for taking them. They agreed that it is possible to learn Java without any prior programming experience, and that it is a common starting point for high school and college courses. However, they also mentioned that some schools may use different languages, such as Scheme or Lisp. They questioned the need for advanced math skills in introductory programming courses, but acknowledged that it may be to test problem-solving abilities. They also shared their personal experiences with starting programming at a young age and the differences between programming and math.
Mathgician
I was wondering if I would be able to handle Intro to Java if I go in without any programing experience. I have experience in Calculus up to vector calculus and differential equations, electricity and magnetism physics course, but no programming. :grumpy: You guys think I can handle it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not suppose to have any programming experience to take Java. It's where you start!

Yep at a lot of highschoo/colleges you start intro to programming in Java.

Be lucky you don't go to MIT, i think their intro to programming is in scheme or lisp! or from what i heard anyways.

I also never understood this, but why do you need any type of math to do intro to programming/intermediate programming? I know all schools mainly require, calc 1, never understood why. It seems the only time you actually need math is if your doing graphics or scientific computations, has anyone actually taken a programming course where you actually used the math required?
(not including computer graphics or any other core upper level programming course.)

Last edited:
mr_coffee said:
Yep at a lot of highschoo/colleges you start intro to programming in Java.

Be lucky you don't go to MIT, i think their intro to programming is in scheme or lisp! or from what i heard anyways.

I also never understood this, but why do you need any type of math to do intro to programming/intermediate programming? I know all schools mainly require, calc 1, never understood why. It seems the only time you actually need math is if your doing graphics or scientific computations, has anyone actually taken a programming course where you actually used the math required?
(not including computer graphics or any other core upper level programming course.)

I think they require it so that the students have some sense how to solve problems.

Yea, Java is fine to learn with. It seems that the main reason they might require some advanced maths for programming is just like jasonrox said, they want to see if you can use logic to solve the problems...computer programs can work much like a math equation.

I started learning C, C++, some java, basic, as well as javascript and html when I was in middle school. I didn't have any math beyond maybe algebra 1 at the time, but I liked programming much more than math, because you could make the computer do cool things.

usahockey

I was the same way, at 14 I had very little knowledge of math but still could do college level programming but they wouldn't give me a credit for taking the course becuase I didn't meet the math requirement lol

mr_coffee said:
usahockey

I was the same way, at 14 I had very little knowledge of math but still could do college level programming but they wouldn't give me a credit for taking the course becuase I didn't meet the math requirement lol

That's because our education system is messed up.

We routinely use a lot of maths in our programming, but it isn't really a programming course, the title is computational physics, so it's not so much programming skills as using programs to solve physics problems. Hence the actual programming is fairly basic but the problems are quite involved.

I took a class in Java with no previous programming experience and was fine. I like Java because knowledge of it helped me pick up a little C and C++ quickly.

mr_coffee said:
uuuugggghhhh...LISP...:yuck:

1. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to learn Java?

No, it is not necessary to have prior programming experience to learn Java. However, having some knowledge of basic programming concepts can help with understanding Java.

2. Is Java a difficult programming language to learn?

Java can be challenging for beginners, but it is considered to be one of the easier programming languages to learn. With practice and dedication, it is definitely possible to become proficient in Java even without prior programming experience.

3. Will I be able to understand Intro to Java without any programming background?

Yes, you can understand Intro to Java without any prior programming background. The course is designed for beginners and starts with the basics of programming, making it accessible to those with no prior experience.

4. What resources are available to help me learn Java?

There are many resources available to help you learn Java, including online tutorials, books, and coding communities. You can also take courses specifically designed for beginners, such as Intro to Java.

5. How long does it usually take to learn Java?

The time it takes to learn Java can vary depending on the individual's learning pace and dedication. With consistent practice and effort, it is possible to become proficient in Java in a few months. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's goals and the complexity of the projects they want to work on.