Boiler Drain Line Diameter Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for determining the drain line pipe diameter at a power station, which is operating at a steam temperature of 217*C and pressure of 31MPa. The speaker is seeking an ASME or other code specification for determining the pipe diameter relative to the pipe being drained. It is suggested that the drainage flow rate required would determine the pipe diameter, with a recommended rate of 1l/h for a litre of liquid build up over an hour. It is also clarified whether the steam in the pipe is being drained or a separate entity.
towz
Hi there,

I am currently doing an upgrade of the drain lines at a power station, the steam temperature (in the section where the drain line is to be installed) is 217*C and it's pressure is 31MPa, I am looking for an ASME or any other code specification that explains how to determine the drain line pipe diameter, relative to the pipe being drained's diameter?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would expect drain line pipe diameter to be determined by the drainage flow rate required.

If you have a litre of liquid build up over an hour, you need a pipe diameter that would give a drainage rate of 1l/h.

Is the steam in the pipe being drained or is it a separate entity?

1. What is the recommended diameter for a boiler drain line?

The recommended diameter for a boiler drain line is typically between 1 and 1.5 inches.

2. How do I know if I have a boiler drain line diameter problem?

You may have a boiler drain line diameter problem if you are experiencing issues with water flow, such as low water pressure or slow drainage.

3. What are the consequences of having a boiler drain line with the wrong diameter?

Having a boiler drain line with the wrong diameter can lead to reduced efficiency, increased energy costs, and potential damage to the boiler itself.

4. Can I change the diameter of my boiler drain line?

Yes, it is possible to change the diameter of your boiler drain line, but it may require professional assistance and could be costly depending on the extent of the changes needed.

5. How can I prevent boiler drain line diameter problems?

To prevent boiler drain line diameter problems, it is important to properly size the drain line during installation and regularly maintain and clean the drain line to prevent buildup and clogs.