What makes a good electronics textbook?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a dislike for an electronics class and the recommended book, "Electrical Engineering Fundamentals" by Vincent Del Toro. There was also a discussion about the usefulness and quality of engineering books found in bookstores and the benefits of having access to a university library for research purposes.
Cyrus
My electronic class is almost over, <thank god>. Unfortunately, I have what I call a "barnes n' noble" book. You know when you walk into barnes n noble and you go to the science section and you see a bunch of math/physics/engineering books. You always pick one up to see what's inside, but you know even before you open it that its going to be crap. My electronics book is like that, :mad:.

http://www.moviemars.com/images/books/0131470469.jpg

can we say junkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cyrus, what topics does your electronic class cover?

• Introduction, Charge, current, voltage, Ohm’s law, KCL, KVL
  • Power & Energy, resistances series and parallel
  • Sources, single loop and node circuits, voltage and current divider principles, node-voltage analysis
  • Mesh current analysis
  • Thevenin and Norton Theorems, impedance matching (maximum power transfer)
  • Superposition principle, Wheatstone bridge
  • Exam I (Monday, 3/6/06) Energy storage elements: capacitors & inductors
  • First-order networks, transients
  • SPRING BREAK
  • Second-order networks
  • Sinusoidal sources, complex numbers, Phasors, complex impedance, AC analysis
  • Diodes
  • Transistors, MOSFET
  • Exam II (Wednesday, 4/26/06)
  • Operational amplifiers
  • Operational amplifiers, cont’d
  • Final Exam, Saturday 5/13/06 10:30am-12:30pm

I have to take part II next semester. :frown:

(You never sent me that email sid)

cyrusabdollahi said:
  • Introduction, Charge, current, voltage, Ohm’s law, KCL, KVL
  • Power & Energy, resistances series and parallel
  • Sources, single loop and node circuits, voltage and current divider principles, node-voltage analysis
  • Mesh current analysis
  • Thevenin and Norton Theorems, impedance matching (maximum power transfer)
  • Superposition principle, Wheatstone bridge
  • Exam I (Monday, 3/6/06) Energy storage elements: capacitors & inductors
  • First-order networks, transients
  • SPRING BREAK
  • Second-order networks
  • Sinusoidal sources, complex numbers, Phasors, complex impedance, AC analysis
  • Diodes
  • Transistors, MOSFET
  • Exam II (Wednesday, 4/26/06)
  • Operational amplifiers
  • Operational amplifiers, cont’d
  • Final Exam, Saturday 5/13/06 10:30am-12:30pm

I have to take part II next semester. :frown:

(You never sent me that email sid)

Its ok, I hate electronics too. My electronics class is what convinced me I want nothing to do with experimental work.

Then, I recommened Electrical Engineering Fundamentals by Vincent Del Toro. I found it really useful for a similar course last semester.

Oh, and I'll send the email. I just have scan or type it first.

Interesting front cover. So what are the applications of EE, for playing american football?

siddharth said:
Then, I recommened Electrical Engineering Fundamentals by Vincent Del Toro. I found it really useful for a similar course last semester.

Oh, and I'll send the email. I just have scan or type it first.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: yeahhhhhhhhhhh, read EE in my spare time :rofl: :rofl: you're funny sid. :biggrin:

I just noticed the title of this thread. In my experience, it is far less cost-effective to burn textbooks for heating, than to use them for squashing cockroaches. Also, doorstops, and as counterweights for various machinery.

Rach3 said:
I just noticed the title of this thread. In my experience, it is far less cost-effective to burn textbooks for heating, than to use them for squashing cockroaches. Also, doorstops, and as counterweights for various machinery.

Don't forget double duty as dumbbells. Who says nerds have to be skinny ?

cyrusabdollahi said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: yeahhhhhhhhhhh, read EE in my spare time :rofl: :rofl: you're funny sid. :biggrin:

I was only trying to help :blushing:

You could also try selling it second-hand.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one who had that experience when looking at most of the "engineering" books at Borders and B&N. I think the only thing I like about my local Borders is that they tend to stock a lot of the Dover books which are usually very inexpensive and pretty comprehensive.

cyrusabdollahi said:
yeahhhhhhhhhhh, read EE in my spare time
Or keep Vincent Del Toro's book as a reference. You never know when you might need it. :biggrin:

Hambley's book is published by the same company, Prentice Hall. It would appear that Hambley's book replaced Del Toro's as the main one.

Del Toro's book is available from Amazon at low prices (used).

I think Siddharth's offer was quite decent.

Best wishes on your finals, Cyrus! :smile:

FredGarvin said:
I thought I was the only one who had that experience when looking at most of the "engineering" books at Borders and B&N. I think the only thing I like about my local Borders is that they tend to stock a lot of the Dover books which are usually very inexpensive and pretty comprehensive.
Dover is the only reason I would go to Borders books.

I think the quality of many so-called 'science or technical' books is rather mediocre. Mostly they are pop science or more qualitative than quantitative.

Actually bookstore's at Universities, which have strong science or engineering programs, generally have a good selection - especially Springer Verlag's Yellow books. I really miss the access to a good technical library and bookstore. :frown:

Astro, have you thought about trying the approach that I used? Our local university and the technical college both have a policy of giving free library cards to professional writers for research purposes. I was one at the time, but the point is that they never even asked for any credentials. You can legitimately call yourself a pro writer based upon the papers you write (or have written, if you don't do that any more).

I do go up to RPI's Library on occasion, but that is slightly more than 90 minutes away. I used to be about 15 minutes by bicycle back in grad school. Well, I miss university too. Maybe some day I'll go back and teach.

I still publish, but most of my work is proprietary or otherwise sensitive, so it gets distributed only to those who need to know. :cool:

siddharth said:
I was only trying to help :blushing:

:cool:

Apparently some people just don't appreciate the finer subjects. :grumpy:

What does "Electronic class almost over" mean?

"Electronic class almost over" refers to the end of an online or virtual class session where students and/or teachers communicate and learn through electronic devices, such as computers or tablets.

How long is an "Electronic class almost over" session?

The duration of an "Electronic class almost over" session can vary depending on the specific class and teacher. However, it is typically around 45 minutes to an hour, similar to a traditional in-person class.

Can I leave the "Electronic class almost over" session early?

It is generally recommended to stay for the entire duration of the "Electronic class almost over" session to ensure you do not miss any important information or discussions. However, if you have a valid reason for leaving early, it is best to communicate with your teacher beforehand.

What should I do if I cannot attend the "Electronic class almost over" session?

If you are unable to attend the "Electronic class almost over" session, it is important to notify your teacher as soon as possible. They may be able to provide you with materials or recordings of the class to make up for your absence.

Are "Electronic class almost over" sessions as effective as in-person classes?

While "Electronic class almost over" sessions may have some limitations, they can still be just as effective as in-person classes. It largely depends on the quality of the teacher and the level of engagement and participation from students.