Need Immediate Help with Journal Figure Submission

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with figures being rotated by 90 degrees when converting to pdf for a journal submission. The suggestion is made to try rotating the figures another 270 degrees or using Ghostscript or the Gimp to convert the file type and potentially make adjustments.
quantumlaser
I'm in the middle of submitting a paper to the Journal of Applied Physics. When my figures are converted to pdf, they come out rotated by 90 degrees from what their orientation in the source fiel! Do I need to fix this? If so how? Please respond ASAP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotate it another 270 degrees?

quantumlaser said:
I'm in the middle of submitting a paper to the Journal of Applied Physics. When my figures are converted to pdf, they come out rotated by 90 degrees from what their orientation in the source fiel! Do I need to fix this? If so how? Please respond ASAP!

So why are you converting the figures into pdf? Were you trying to see what it looks like, or is this when you compile the LaTex document to see what it looks like in the journal's template?

If it looks OK as a ps or eps file, that all it matters to the journal editors.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
... If it looks OK as a ps or eps file, that all it matters to the journal editors.

Zz.

Along those lines (if you're using a PC with Windows), I've generally used Ghostscript to convert file type, though I notice that "the Gimp" also has options to save to .eps or .ps files (and its image editing software, so you might be able to rotate and resave). Both of these programs are freeware.

1. What is the purpose of a journal figure submission?

A journal figure submission is an important part of the scientific publishing process. It allows researchers to visually present their findings and data in a clear and concise manner, making it easier for readers to understand and interpret the results of their research.

2. How should I prepare my figures for submission?

Figures should be prepared in a high-quality, professional manner using appropriate software and tools. They should be labeled and clearly annotated with legends to explain all components of the figure. It is also important to ensure that the figures are correctly sized and formatted according to the specific journal's guidelines.

3. Do I need to obtain permission for using figures from other sources?

If you are including figures or images from other sources in your submission, it is important to obtain permission from the original source and properly credit them in your submission. This ensures that you are not infringing on any copyright laws and gives proper recognition to the original creator.

4. Are there any specific file formats that are required for figure submission?

Most journals have specific guidelines for figure file formats, so it is important to check the submission instructions carefully. In general, high-resolution image files (such as JPEG or TIFF) are preferred for figures. It is also important to make sure that the figures are embedded in the main manuscript document and not submitted as separate files.

5. How long does the figure submission process typically take?

The figure submission process can vary depending on the journal and the complexity of the figures. It is important to carefully follow the submission instructions and guidelines to avoid any delays. On average, the figure review and revision process can take up to several weeks, so it is best to plan accordingly and submit figures well in advance of the submission deadline.