Basis of range of a matrix relative to some bases

In summary: I'm not sure how to change the representations from one basis to the other. Could you explain it to me or point me to a resource?In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis for the range of a linear transformation with a given matrix relative to two different bases. The original attempt using row reduction did not yield the correct answer, and the correct answer was found to be in relation to the natural basis. The suggestion is to change the representations of the vectors from one basis to the other, keeping in mind that a basis is not unique and two different sets of vectors can have the same span. Further clarification and resources are requested to understand the process of changing representations.
TorcidaS

Homework Statement

Let T be the linear transformation of R5 into R3 that has the matrix

A =
1 3 2 0 -1
2 6 4 6 4
1 3 2 2 1

relative to the bases [(1,1,1,1,1), (1,1,1,1,0), (1,1,0,0,0), (1,0,0,0,0), (0,0,0,0,1)] of R5 and [(1,1,1), (0,1,0), (1,0,0)] of R3. Find a basis for the range of T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The whole ordeal with the different bases for R5 and R3 confuses me. If this was just an ordinary matrix, I'd have row reduced and gotten my basis for the range to be
{[1 2 1]^T and [0 6 2]^T.

But this isn't the correct answer. The correct answer is

[(4/3, 1, 1), (1/3, 1, 0)].

Any suggestions? Much thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vectors you found are representations relative to the basis {(1,1,1), (0,1,0), (1,0,0)}. The answer you gave is relative to the natural basis. You just need to change representations from one basis to the other. Keep in mind that a basis is not unique, so you may come up with two vectors that don't match the answer, but they just need to have the same span.

vela said:
The vectors you found are representations relative to the basis {(1,1,1), (0,1,0), (1,0,0)}. The answer you gave is relative to the natural basis. You just need to change representations from one basis to the other. Keep in mind that a basis is not unique, so you may come up with two vectors that don't match the answer, but they just need to have the same span.

Hi, thank you very much for your answer.

1. What is the basis of a matrix?

The basis of a matrix is the set of linearly independent vectors that span the column space of the matrix. In other words, it is the minimum number of vectors needed to represent all the other vectors in the matrix.

2. How is the basis of a matrix determined?

The basis of a matrix can be determined by finding the linearly independent columns of the matrix. This can be done by performing row operations and looking for pivot columns, or by using the rank-nullity theorem to find the dimension of the column space.

3. Can a matrix have more than one basis?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple bases. This is because there can be more than one set of linearly independent vectors that can span the column space of a matrix.

4. How is the basis of a matrix related to its rank?

The basis of a matrix is directly related to its rank. The number of vectors in the basis of a matrix is equal to the rank of the matrix. This is because the rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent columns, which is also the number of vectors needed to form a basis.

5. What is the significance of the basis of a matrix?

The basis of a matrix is significant because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the matrix. It allows us to represent the matrix in a more compact and efficient way, and can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and perform other operations on the matrix.