Find basis B given the transition matrix and B'

In summary, the matrix P is the transition matrix from basis B to basis B' = {(1,0,0),(1,1,0),(1,1,1)} for R3. According to a theorem in the book, if P is the transition matrix from B' to B, then P is invertible and P-1 is the transition matrix from B to B'. Therefore, multiplying both sides of the equation P·B = B' by P-1 will solve for B.
fattycakez

Homework Statement

The Matrix P =
1 0 3
1 1 0
0 3 1
is the transition matrix from what basis B to the basis B' = {(1,0,0),(1,1,0),(1,1,1) for R3?

Homework Equations

[v]B=P[v]B'

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking at a theorem in my book that says

" if P is the transition matrix from a basis B' to a basis B for a finite-dimensional vector space V, then P is invertible and P-1 is the transition matrix from B to B'. "

So does the inverse of P give the basis B? Please tell me how wrong I am :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I will gladly tell you how wrong you are. Not at all (if I understand you correctly)
You have ## \bf{P} \cdot \bf{B} = \bf{B'} ## Multiply both sides by ## \bf{P}^{-1} ## and you have solved your equation for B.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I will gladly tell you how wrong you are. Not at all (if I understand you correctly)
You have ## \bf{P} \cdot \bf{B} = \bf{B'} ## Multiply both sides by ## \bf{P}^{-1} ## and you have solved your equation for B.
Awesome, thank you! \m/

No problemo

What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a square matrix that represents the transformation between two different bases. It is used to convert coordinates or vectors from one basis to another.

What is basis B?

Basis B is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. It is used to describe the coordinates of vectors in that space.

What is B'?

B' is another basis that is related to basis B through a transition matrix. It is used to represent the same vector space as basis B, but in a different coordinate system.

How do you find basis B given the transition matrix and B'?

To find basis B, you can use the inverse of the transition matrix to convert the basis vectors of B' back to the original basis. These basis vectors will then form basis B.

Why is it important to find basis B?

Finding basis B is important because it allows us to represent vectors in a more convenient coordinate system. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different bases and how they can be transformed using a transition matrix.