Solving Spherical Capacitor Problems: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with a problem involving Gauss' law and a dielectric material. They mention knowing some equations for electric field and charge, but are unsure how to incorporate the dielectric constant and solve for the outermost shell. They ask for assistance in finding a solution to the problem.
mopar969
I need help on starting and solving this problem. See attachment for problem.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know Gauss' law?

yes.

mopar969 said:
yes.

In that case, use Gauss' law to attempt this problem, and post your attempt here. We can't just give you the answers without some effort on your part towards a solution.

I know that gauss law says q over epsilon zero but how do I incorporate this for the dielectric material?

I know that the electric field for a dielectric is e = Q all over 4 pi k epsilon zero r^2. I also know that the electric field for the innerest conductor can be found using E = 1 over 4 pi epsilon zero time Q over r^2. Using this equation I got 3.25 x 10 ^ -9. However I do not know how to solve the outer most shell given with the charge per volume value. And for my dielectric electric field formula how do I get the er value of 1.8 that was given in the problem into the equation?

Anybody have a way to solve this problem?

1. What is a spherical capacitor?

A spherical capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two concentric spherical conductors, usually a solid inner sphere and a hollow outer sphere, separated by an insulating material known as a dielectric.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance of a spherical capacitor?

The capacitance of a spherical capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0r1r2/ (r2 - r1), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, r1 is the radius of the inner sphere, and r2 is the radius of the outer sphere.

3. How do I solve for the electric field within a spherical capacitor?

To solve for the electric field within a spherical capacitor, you can use the formula E = Q / (4πε0r2), where Q is the charge on the inner sphere and r is the distance from the center of the capacitor.

4. What is the potential difference between the two spheres of a spherical capacitor?

The potential difference between the two spheres of a spherical capacitor can be calculated using the formula V = Q / (4πε0) * (1/r1 - 1/r2), where Q is the charge on the inner sphere and r1 and r2 are the radii of the inner and outer spheres, respectively.

5. How do I use the boundary conditions to solve spherical capacitor problems?

The boundary conditions for a spherical capacitor state that the electric field at the surface of the inner sphere is equal to the electric field at the surface of the outer sphere, and the potential difference between the two spheres is equal to the potential difference between the two surfaces. These conditions can be used to solve for unknown quantities in spherical capacitor problems.