Finding The Solution of A Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a differential equation, with one person providing their solution and the other person pointing out a slight error. The correct solution is given as y = (1/e^(3t)) * (e^(2t)/5 + t/3 - 1/9) + (c/e^(3t)).
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

y' + 3y = t + exp(2t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is y = t/3 + exp(-2t) -1/9 + c. The solution in the back of the book is y = cexp(-3t) + (t/3) - (1/9) + exp(-2t). How come the two solutions differ so vastly? I followed the procedure outlined in the textbook precisely.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

y' + 3y = t + exp(2t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is y = t/3 + exp(-2t) -1/9 + c. The solution in the back of the book is y = cexp(-3t) + (t/3) - (1/9) + exp(-2t).

The solution I'm getting is :

##y(t) = \frac{c}{e^{3 t}} + \frac{t}{3} + \frac{e^{2 t}}{5} - \frac{1}{9}##

You should check your work over again I think. You may have made a slight error.

Last edited:
I got the exact same answer. I attached my work as a file. According to my textbook, the solution to this sort of differential equation is:

[itex]y = \frac{1}{\mu (t)} \int \mu (t) g(t) dt + c[/itex], where [itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int p(t)dt}[/itex]

Attachments

• DE.jpg
    DE.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 397
Bashyboy said:
I got the exact same answer. I attached my work as a file. According to my textbook, the solution to this sort of differential equation is:

[itex]y = \frac{1}{\mu (t)} \int \mu (t) g(t) dt + c[/itex], where [itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int p(t)dt}[/itex]

Yes your book is 100% correct ( Barring I'd leave constants all the way until the end ), but don't neglect the ##e^{3t}## in the denominator. It will vary the value of ##c## if you're ever given an initial value problem.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. So exp(-3t) would multiply the c, after I did the integration.

Bashyboy said:
Oh, I see. So exp(-3t) would multiply the c, after I did the integration.

It will divide it actually. After evaluating the integrals I got this :

##e^{3t}y(t) = e^{3t} ( \frac{e^{2t}}{5} + \frac{t}{3} - \frac{1}{9} ) + c##

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. Why is finding the solution of a differential equation important?

Finding the solution of a differential equation allows us to predict the behavior of a system over time. This is crucial in understanding and solving problems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. What are the different methods for solving a differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a differential equation, including separation of variables, integrating factors, substitution, and power series. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the differential equation.

4. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations have an analytical solution. Some equations are too complex to be solved using traditional methods, and numerical methods must be used instead.

5. How can differential equations be applied in real life?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as predicting the spread of diseases, modeling population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding fluid flow. They are also used in designing and optimizing systems in engineering and physics.